Trees,bushes scrub etc

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Ogster

Trees,bushes scrub etc

Post by Ogster »

Chaps

Looking at using small springs of green heather for use as small trees and bushes - perhaps sprinkling on a little flock for a more realistic result. Any ideas as to how to preserve the dark green natural foliage of the heather - spray lacquer perhaps

Additionally looking for cheap ideas for trackside scrub/weeds etc. Thoughts include coarse sawdust dyed with suitably green poster paint sprinkled onto PVA - perhaps with the addition of some long (4mm) static grass at suitable intervals?

Thoughts appreciated.
Bufferstop

Re: Trees,bushes scrub etc

Post by Bufferstop »

Most cut foliage changes colour over the first few weeks, sheds seeds and sometimes leaves. I have used sedum heads to make trees, I hung them up under the porch of our garden cabin. Once they had stopped shedding (unless shaken hard) I sprayed them with varnish, allowed them to dry then sprayed them with glue and shook various green scatters over them. I think you have to accept that they will lose colour when first cut.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

To preserve the colours of heathers any colour, do what the grower do, they spray them with the colour they want. If you do varnish them can I suggest satin (non gloss)yacht varnish.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

All the tutorials you need, are based around war gaming, less so railways!

They are the masters of make your own scenic materials
Try Youtube search for "how to make" flock or trees
Top vid makers are RubbishInRubbishOut and TheTerrainTutor
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

I'll second The Terrain Tutor, his videos are great.

Post by 4472 »

Discovered in the garden centres this Christmas my wife used the plastic imitation cut sprigs. Just cutting off the ends make passable small trees and shrubs. They look good in the model gardens and don't shed They come in various colours and are cheap.
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I did a short tutorial on how to make trees from dead Hydrangea flowers, link below

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33932&start=240#p631470

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
b308

Post by b308 »

I know of one 5.5mm scale NG layout which uses real heather, suitably watered from time to time, it must be about 40 years old by now!!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I've recently bought a cheap packet of plastic plants which look amazing. They were intended to be used for fishtanks. They are too large for 00 scale though, but I will get away with them on my 7mm narrow gauge layout though I do intend to cut them to size, which in effect gives me even more plants if I'm careful how I do it.
The issue one has in 4mm scale 00 gauge is to make realistic bushes the manual method, to cut out tiny leaves and individually stick them on is not really a viable option (Not really an option in a larger scale either unless it is a model of a plant with large leaves) so what one has is representations of various plants and trees rather then models of them.
My thoughts on electrostatic grass. I've seen many layouts in magazines and an odd layout at exhibition using this and while as individual blades the grass looks amazingly realistic, when applied to layouts they stand out and certainly dont give the natural look one is hoping to achieve, yet I've found working with flock type materials to give a very real feel to the grass type coverings of ones scenic framework. I can't fathom why or what the reason why electrostatic grass just doesn't look right when I see it on a layout, as out of all the layouts I've seen, only one actually impressed me in that it looked like a covering of grass. I did think that it was a matter of scale but when I saw a larger scale with it being used it too gave an odd unrealistic look to it, which is ever so strange when I zoom in a bit and find it looks realistic from the point of view when one looks at individual blades.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

If you go to a garden centre and enquire abut artificial grass, a good one will give you a small piece with the literature.

It is ideal for long grass. Add further foliage/colour and voila. Here are a three picures of what I have done using the artificial grass.
SAM_1328.JPG
SAM_1329.JPG
SAM_1295.JPG
Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

That's a pretty impressive set of vegetation, it looks great. If you wanted, you could create a jungle railway :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Thanks GeraldH.
The story of why it's overgrown is -- In his report, Dr Beeching recommended the closure of Glencairn North British Station; leaving Glencairn Scholarsgate (Caledonian Railway) the remaining station open. Train services were drastically reduced, and the small engine shed began to be run down and unkempt. Then train services picked up. Maybe someone will tidy the place up --- maybe not.
Some more pictures -- The use of artificial grass and other scenic materials.
Train of containers waiting at the signal to proceed.
SAM_1389.JPG
Trainspotter taking photographs of locomotives at the engine shed
SAM_1382.JPG
Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

TimberSurf wrote:All the tutorials you need, are based around war gaming, less so railways!

They are the masters of make your own scenic materials
Try Youtube search for "how to make" flock or trees
Top vid makers are RubbishInRubbishOut and TheTerrainTutor

Also check out 'lukes aps' on youtube. He is in a similar vein to the terrain tutor.

Thanks
Dan