Halfords Matt Lacquer

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
mixturesweb

Halfords Matt Lacquer

Post by mixturesweb »

Morning all

I’ve nearly finished remodelling a Hornby mark 4. I’ve painted it, given it a coat of gloss lacquer, applied the transfers and now I need to apply a final coat of matt lacquer to take the shine off. Does anyone have any tips before I spray this stuff all over my beloved model? :lol:

Cheers
Luke
Atso

Re: Halfords Matt Lacquer

Post by Atso »

I've got no experience of using Halfords matt lacquer but make sure you shake the can incredibly well to ensure that the matting agent is well mixed in with the lacquer. Also spray several thin coats in a warmish room, allowing each to dry rather than one thick coat as anyway the lacquer pools will end up taking a white tinge - Halfords rattle cans don't take long to go touch dry so you could possibly be able to respray every few minutes or so.

While I now have an airbrush, I used to use Games Workshop Purity Seal with great effect on my models. Again shake well and spray several thin coats in a warmish room. The one advantage of Purity Seal is that it really can be put on quite thinly.
Steve
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Probably the best tip of all is to paint and apply transfers etc to a scrap piece of similar material and test on that so one does not mess up a decent model if it does not work.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Usually Satin is the way to go.. usually what I use as its not shiny.

I don't use Halfords varnish or rattle can varnish as I have had bad experiences in the past so tend only to use their paint cans.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
mixturesweb

Post by mixturesweb »

Thank you all for your advice :)
Luke
mixturesweb

Post by mixturesweb »

Well I can happily say that I like this lacquer. It has worked a treat :)
Attachments
779D8A5F-22F0-4D1D-AE04-A6A70E6567C9.jpeg
Luke