Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Coopslner

Re: Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post by Coopslner »

How long will it take to complete and what was you quoted for a loco build if you don't mind me asking? I have got a GNR D2 kit which is out of my league which I would be interested in getting built. I know it's not cheep, but I hope it's everything you want wen you get it back

Coops.
Derby Friargate GN
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Coopslner wrote:How long will it take to complete and what was you quoted for a loco build if you don't mind me asking? I have got a GNR D2 kit which is out of my league which I would be interested in getting built. I know it's not cheep, but I hope it's everything you want wen you get it back

Coops.
Its going to be a couple of weeks before starting and then 2-3 weeks to complete.

The South Eastern Finecast chassis kit, wheels, motor, wires and gears etc cost £105.95

To complete the G6 by adding the few components I hadn't assembled, build the chassis, test, paint and light weathering etc £275.

As you say its not cheap, however I will get a well made loco to my specification.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I mentioned a while back the small details which make a layout standout. I like the way you have added "greenery" at the base of the SR concrete walling - on "your" side of the layout above your operating table - not really necessary - but it's a finishing touch. A really great layout in a small space.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

bulleidboy wrote:I mentioned a while back the small details which make a layout standout. I like the way you have added "greenery" at the base of the SR concrete walling - on "your" side of the layout above your operating table - not really necessary - but it's a finishing touch. A really great layout in a small space.
Thanks for your comments.

Contruction of shawhurst is almost complete apart from signals and a few more small details. The signals are going to be a winter time job so until these are underway I'm spending time (in between house painting and decorating) working on getting my boxed locos into use. So with most areas of Shawhurst now completed I'm going to open up a new thread in the Model Railway Photography section.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

I’ve been thinking about the operational aspect of Shawhurst station and the branch line to Hindhead. Originally I was planning on using a push-pull fitted O2 or M7 with a Hornby Maunsell 2 coach push-pull set and having a second 2 coach push-pull set parked in the siding that runs behind the station building and just changing them over every now and then. However making this more operationally realistic and interesting I’ve now decided to change the sets over on a daily timetable basis to allow for carriage cleaning and servicing. To this end I’m now in the process of adding a SR concrete carriage cleaning platform between two of the yard sidings. See attached two photos showing the platform half completed but not yet fixed in position. This also provides a reason for the huts positioned alongside these sidings.
Attachments
Shawhurst-217a P1020088 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-217 P1020087 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-218 P1020090 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

I've said it before but I must again that your ballasting and track weathering is just perfect.

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I have to agree with Coops, just rusted mine and the whole thing is just too rusty, need to tone it down with some grime!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

On my first attempt of track weathering I used rust, it looked like the lines had a mass of current flowing and they were glowing!
I then used a Matt brown like humbrol 84, seemed to work
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Concrete carriage cleaning and servicing platforms now in place and lightly weathered. The shorter staggered platform has been added due the curve on the outer siding. Additionally this allows for two of the longer Bullied coaches to be accommodated. The locally based painters have been busy with the buffer stops.
Attachments
Shawhurst-219a P1020094 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-219b P1020093 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-219c P1020099 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Shawhurst-219d P1020098 8x6 nrm-1ps.jpg
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

I thought I had finished with the carriage sidings. However after giving this more thought I have now added a van in weathered SR livery used for storing cleaning and maintenance equipment. The van is trapped by an upturned sleeper and the track, wheels and axles painted dark rust.
Attachments
Shawhurst-220b P1020110 mstr PS nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-220a P1020109 mstr PS nrm.jpg
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Dave wrote: Nice touch 8)
Exactly what I was going to say.

Layouts stand apart from the norm when they introduce little cameos like this.

Paul
Lee

Post by Lee »

Fratton71D wrote:Concrete carriage cleaning and servicing platforms now in place and lightly weathered. The shorter staggered platform has been added due the curve on the outer siding. Additionally this allows for two of the longer Bullied coaches to be accommodated. The locally based painters have been busy with the buffer stops.

That's a really nice part of the layout looks lovely 8) 8)
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

How is the loco coming along from Aardstorm Models?

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Coopslner wrote:How is the loco coming along from Aardstorm Models?

Coops
Photo's of completed G6 have arrived and delivery of the G6 will now be first week of January when I will post photo's of the G6 at Shawhurst.
Attachments
Wills 30258-001-nrm.jpg
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

I added the last short platform to the carriage sidings back in early November. See attached photo along with one of the Wills G6 next to the coaling stage. I had planned to build some Ratio signal kits, however I've been spending much time scanning mid 1960's photo prints and collating the relevant information for articles in future editions of The Southern Way publication, so the signals have been put back for a while.
Attachments
Shawhurst-222 P1020119 ps-1 nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-221 P1020114 mst PS nrm.jpg