2017 competition

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Lysander

Re: 2017 competition

Post by Lysander »

It is a spring Timbersurf, made out of steel wire wound around the dropper - not difficult. The real things have them but I'm uncertain of their function, maybe to absorb shocks ?

All sprayed up in primer now and looking really quite OK.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Cracking work Tony, the level of detail is quite something. Out of interest, what do you use as source references for a job like this?

Paul
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

For the roof detail Paul, Russell's excellent [four volume !] set on the coaches of the GWR and some information provided by Comet along with their etched sides, for the numbering Russell again and for the end detail, Russell and internet photos. And, of course, the noble art of compromise !

One of the challenges in modelling this coach lies in the fact that only 6 of this type were built. They were, therefore, scarce in real life and are not modelled that often now. Original photographs are extremely hard to find.

Tony
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

An absolute ball-breaker. Cutting, filing and fitting 21 door hinges on each side. Essential work however.

Priming will follow shortly, sealing the hinges in place further.

Tony
Atso

Post by Atso »

Lysander wrote:An absolute ball-breaker. Cutting, filing and fitting 21 door hinges on each side. Essential work however.

Priming will follow shortly, sealing the hinges in place further.

Tony
And I thought having to fit all the handrails to my GNR brake van in N was trying enough. I think you've got one over me on this one! The coach looks even better now it has some sides! :D 8)
Steve
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Attached only for the photograph Steve. This time I intend painting the sides before they are glued into place - far easier in terms of masking, etc.. Have to wait for a warmer dry day though...

Tony
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Well, a month late but at last it is complete. Overall, I'm quite happy with the outcome.

Trust fluff to ruin a photo though!

Tony
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Lysander wrote:It is a spring Timbersurf, made out of steel wire wound around the dropper - not difficult. The real things have them but I'm uncertain of their function, maybe to absorb shocks ?
I think you'll find they cushion the vertical movement of the two sets of bellows. You get funny looks when you stand in the vestibule looking through gaps in the fabric to see what's going on. I once stepped into one on a Turbo when they'd come adrift from the droppers, it was like wading through marshmallow, when it was stationary, I didn't chance going back when it was moving.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions