Tyne Dock/Consett 9F

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
sciurus123

Tyne Dock/Consett 9F

Post by sciurus123 »

Hello everyone,

I have never posted in an online forum before - I am new to NRM, so please bear with me if I make any errors or contravene any protocols! I am not even sure which forum I should be submitting to, but here goes anyway!

A brief history: I am now 72 years of age and have just rediscovered an interest in railway modelling! I was first introduced to the hobby when I was in short trousers, spending many a happy hour with my Hornby Dublo 3-rail layout in the 1950's (still the age of steam!). I lived in Northamptonshire then and regularly used to go trainspotting, Ian Allen book in hand, when I would see many 9F's hauling long loads of iron-ore and coal wagons. On my layout I only had a humble black 0-6-0 tank engine (God how I yearned for a Duchess of Montrose!) but sadly (and without my knowledge!) my parents later disposed of all my stuff, the likes of which I now frequently see on Ebay!

Anyway, the next stage was when my only son (I have a daughter too) reached a suitable age and we embarked on a layout together, this time in 'N' gauge because available space was very limited, but again life and work overtook us and before I knew it, he was too old and was more interested in girls than model railways! So eventually I had to dismantle and dispose of the layout (I do still have some of the items though).

Now here I am, a grandfather and wanting to again create that layout of which we all dream! So after much deliberation I designed the layout (on a computer) based on a busy, grimy Midland yard and started to purchase the items which I would need to create it. It's quite an ambitious layout, but one which I can create in stages over a period of time. Not surprisingly, among the locomotives which I have already purchased are a number of 9F variants and I just can't help myself when faced with a really great 9F model. Needless to say I spend far too long trawling on Ebay and elsewhere for these wonderful locomotives and only just recently was outbid for a Tyne Dock/Consett 9F version (the Dave Alexander kit conversion) which appeared to have been very well modified, renumbered and weathered. Years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to have a go at this conversion work myself, but sadly my patience has thinned with age (along with the hair!) and my eyesight is also not what it used to be.

Which brings me to you guys - if I were able to supply a suitable Bachmann 9F (for the seriously incredible detail and reliable loco drive of this manufacturer), do any of you have the necessary skills, tools and motivation to be able to create a new model using the above-mentioned conversion kit (or perhaps there is a better one?), or alternatively know someone who I could contact who perhaps does this type of work, either professionally or purely for the love of it (doing the conversion, re-numbering and weathering?).

I quite understand that this locomotive is not really appropriate for a Midlands layout, but it's still a 9F and as such justifies a place in the busy industrial environment, even if it is just visiting!

The locomotive I would like to create is 92063 and looking at period photographs of this locomotive, it clearly has a single chimney which would be satisfied by the Bachmann 32-857 (late crest, R/N 92077, BR1C tender) or Bachmann 32-853 (late crest, R/N 92044, BR1F tender). Unfortunately I do not have the depth of knowledge to determine which would be the correct tender for 92063 from the numerous tender variants which BR used over the years. I suspect I may have to source a separate Bachmann tender of the correct type - but I'm sure some of you will have the answer for me and perhaps some additional advice and encouragement too!

Many thanks in anticipation...
NakatsuHime

Re: Tyne Dock/Consett 9F

Post by NakatsuHime »

I've always loved the 9F. Not sure why. It just looked a bit different from the majority of the other steamers. Perhaps a bit more utilitarian.

I was always going to be having one on my layout, but was always disappointed it was a freight-only locomotive, but I needn't have worried as - toward the end of its lifetime - it did manage some express passenger duties.
Anyway, it's my layout. It'll do what I want it to!!

Unfortunately I was born, not only too late to see BR steam, but in the wrong country, but my 9F will see many assorted duties.

I'm sure they're are many on here with all the information you are after.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it here!!
sciurus123

Post by sciurus123 »

Hello NakatsuHime,

Thank you for your welcome - I never expected a response so quickly!

Yes, I share your affection for 9F's - if you wanted one for passenger service, why not go for 92220 Evening Star - the last steam locomotive to be built for British Railways and now preseved in the National Collection at York. The Bachmann model of this locomotive is just superb - I have one myself and its dark green lined livery is just breathtaking!

Even dirty old work-worn plain black 9F's have a 'presence' which most other locomotives just seem to lack, although I know everyone has their own particular favourite and would disagree wholeheartedly! I am particularly intrigued by the ill-fated Crosti boiler 9F variants and I have a number of models of this type in my collection. It used to be quite difficult to find these, which were always kit conversions of production models, but of course Hornby have recently released two 'Railroad' versions of this locomotive, so they are no longer so unique!

Anyway, nice to hear from you and I am looking forward to expanding my very meagre knowledge of railways in the coming months.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Welcome sciurus123.

If you get no direct offers from forum members I would suggest you contact your nearest model railway club or model shop - see:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/events.php

Best of luck!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Sadly I don't have any of the information you need although I did enjoy reading your first post.
I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

sciurus123 wrote:...Unfortunately I do not have the depth of knowledge to determine which would be the correct tender for 92063 from the numerous tender variants which BR used over the years...
It's a BR1B, in general exterior appearance identical to a BR1C.

The Tyne Dock conversion: you do get the best result using a Bachmann 9F as a starting point, but it involves cutting through the thin metal footplate casting, which is left permanently weakened. The Hornby 9F footplate is all moulded plastic integral with the body, so isn't nearly so badly weakened. The advice already given about joining a local club is what I would encourage; that's the way to get 'mates rates' or a trade of 'your carpentry (or whatever) for me modifying your model'.
sciurus123

Post by sciurus123 »

Hello again,

Many thanks for all your welcoming words and to all those who have replied with sound advice and common sense suggestions, which I will certainly heed. I will, meantime, keep my eyes open on Ebay in the hope that perhaps another may come onto the market (why did I let that one slip through my fingers!). Can anyone recommend any particularly promising alternative sources from their own experience which I should regularly monitor (apart from the classified ads on this site)?

The warning about weakening the Bachmann plastic footplate casting hadn't really occurred to me - I didn't realise it was a separate casting from the main body of the loco and it must be very thin and fragile indeed. It just shows how knowledgable you need to be when it comes to modifying models - but better forewarned when it comes to mucking around with a c£100 model! Thank you!

I'll let you know if I make any progress on this quest.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

If you are on Facebook, there's some good model trading/buying/selling groups on there. I've picked up some fine kit built fairly obscure MR locos over the years, for very reasonable prices too. You wont find many chancers there that there is on ebay. Also check this link out for model and toy fairs, always worth a visit.
toyfairs
Cheers
Jim
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Check Hattons 'used' regularly. Their valuations on DIY jobs are typically low because their customer base is mainly interested in RTR in as near original condition as possible, and there are usually good photographs to aid assessment. You can offer less than asking too...
sciurus123 wrote:...The warning about weakening the Bachmann plastic footplate casting hadn't really occurred to me - I didn't realise it was a separate casting from the main body of the loco and it must be very thin and fragile indeed...
The footplate is actually metal, diecast mazak; if it were plastic it would be an easy modification. The difficulty with the mazak is that it is a thin casting, and there is little to bond to in order to reinforce it once cut away around the airpump location, without it becoming visible. (The ideal method is soldering, which requires purchase of the flux and solder formulations which will work on mazak.)
sciurus123

Post by sciurus123 »

Once again many thanks to you all for your very kind hints and tips - all duly noted.

I do check Hattons 'used' regularly and you're quite right, they do usually post good sets of photographs to aid assessment - I will coninue as usual.

I don't like the sound of 'mazak' - way out of my comfort zone! - I think I could manage some run-of-the-mill soldering with conventional solder and flux, but that material sounds intimidating to say the least and best left to the experienced modeller.

I still think my best bet is to wait until another comes up on Ebay, or in an online auction. You do see these kit conversions for sale from time to time, but it has to be said that some of them look just awful! My eyesight isn't that bad (yet!) and I do appreciate the skill which has clearly gone into the details of some of the outstanding 'custom' kit conversions.

I don't know what your experience of Ebay has been. Perhaps I have just been lucky, or perhaps model railway enthusiasts are simply very straightforward and honest, but the numerous purchases I have made over the last couple of years have been 100% satisfactory (famous last words!?). Since I have become rather over-enthusiastic with my purchases, I must reluctantly sell a few items soon - you know - thin out the collection a bit! I have never sold anything on Ebay before, so it should be an interesting experience to say the least! You hear such bad reports about non-payers and time-wasters that it really puts you off, but I am determined to give it a go very soon.

Enjoy your weekend.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

sciurus123 wrote:................ I must reluctantly sell a few items soon - you know - thin out the collection a bit! I have never sold anything on Ebay before, so it should be an interesting experience to say the least! You hear such bad reports about non-payers and time-wasters that it really puts you off, but I am determined to give it a go very soon.

Enjoy your weekend.
Do not be put off by these reports as they represent an extremely small proportion of overall sales. My advice, firstly be honest with your description and secondly provide decent photographs. It is also important that buyers have a clear direction as to how long they have to pay for an item. I used to state a maximum of four days but reduced that to 48 hours as many buyers waited the complete four days before commencing payment.

Treat the listing as if it was you buying the item and would you be happy if it was you that received the item given the description provided in the listing?

Yes, there are shonky sellers on eBay but there are also corrupt buyers so as a seller you need to be honest with full disclosure of an item's description so that if a dispute is raised then you have not acted in a way that may be conceived as dishonest.

I have made many thousands of eBay sales over the years with not one negative comment received.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

For information this is a conversion carried out on another forum. It may entice you to get out the modelling tools.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... completed/

This one on an old "Silver Seal" Hornby 9F

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28050
sciurus123

Post by sciurus123 »

GWR_fan

Many thanks for the reassuring information and sound advice about Ebay, which I will certainly heed when the time for selling arrives. It's good to know that most transactions are done without any problems.

The two links were amazing! They simply blew me away! Truly awesome modelling: the patience, dedication, innovation, attention to accurate and intricate detail were just breathtaking. However, instead of perhaps inspiring me to 'have a go' they made me only too aware of my limitations. If I were thirty years younger I would take on this work with great enthusiasm, but I just know that if I tried now it would inevitably end in a disappointing and expensive disaster. With age comes wisdom (usually!).

Still, I am quite content to admire and appreciate the accomplished work of others and should an opportunity ever arise to acquire one of these outstanding models, I would take the greatest pleasure in owning one.

Kind regards
End2end

Post by End2end »

sciurus123 wrote:Since I have become rather over-enthusiastic with my purchases, I must reluctantly sell a few items soon - you know - thin out the collection a bit!.
You could always advertise direct to us modellers by posting things for sale here on the forum first before posting to ebay to avoid all the hassle.
Here are the rules about selling on the forum - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1079
And the classfied section of the forum to post to. - viewforum.php?f=28
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
sciurus123

Post by sciurus123 »

End2end

Many thanks for the tip - being completely new to forums, I clearly have a lot to learn!

Kind regards