WARVAL

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
J28MAKER

Re: WARVAL

Post by J28MAKER »

I'm thinking of doing a tides out scene with a bit of water left trapped. Yes looking forward to running but having problems with lining up the bridge with the track. I made the mistake of not soldering the ends nearest the edge and now the test wagon bounces off. I shall percivere and remake it properly. PS the bridge is removable to allow access and egress. I've also chosen tornado to make the official first run as it was the first loco my wife bought me. Fingers crossed.
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

Hi
It is very important that the track lines up at any removable section, as even the slightest discrepancy will cause a derailment, which can be very costly if a loco derails and drops onto the floor below.
The way I did mine was to use brass screws into the baseboard at each rail, ready tinned. Lay the track in position over the joint with sleepers removed making sure it is level at the crossing point, try a wagon or coach to check, this need trial and error before tinning of the screw heads.
Fix the track and solder the rails to the screws, finally cut the track with a slitting disc on a dremmel.
Brian Lambert covers this in his book/online.
http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk
Tim
aka Forfarian
J28MAKER

Post by J28MAKER »

Hi forfarian thanks for your welcome advice. That's the action I'm taking now to rectify the problem, I did manage to send the test wagon over and back with success. I'm sorry to report that it may be a delayed till thursday before running as work got in my way tonight. Pictures will be posted and i will film it too. And try and post it.
J28MAKER

Post by J28MAKER »

Well folks I've managed to rectify the bridge problem and also a few more niggles. Well you know when MALLARD unexpectedly set the speed record unplanned I've managed to send my class 64 pannier completely around the circuit unplanned too. I know I said Tornado but I was testing the bridge connection and my wife brought in a cuppa and I took my eye off it for a chinwag. The next thing it ran past again to a round of cheers and applause.(my wife gets excited at model locos running past as well) so technically ive done what I've said id do. sorry theres no video yet but heres a little pic for you out there. I'm quite a happy chap tonight.
Attachments
class 64 pannier does it!!!!
class 64 pannier does it!!!!
IMG_2277 (800x600).jpg (248.66 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

J28MAKER wrote:Well folks I've managed to rectify the bridge problem and also a few more niggles. Well you know when MALLARD unexpectedly set the speed record unplanned I've managed to send my class 64 pannier completely around the circuit unplanned too. I know I said Tornado but I was testing the bridge connection and my wife brought in a cuppa and I took my eye off it for a chinwag. The next thing it ran past again to a round of cheers and applause.(my wife gets excited at model locos running past as well) so technically ive done what I've said id do. sorry theres no video yet but heres a little pic for you out there. I'm quite a happy chap tonight.
I'm glad your first run, albeit unintentionally, went well. Your wife sounds amazing too - lets you have a room and likes watch locos run past!
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley
J28MAKER

Post by J28MAKER »

bombadillic thanks for your support yes my wife is brilliant. Well as promised heres a few more of tonights much looked forward too running sesh. (I've even filmed it and uploaded it to youtube. that's another first!!!!!!) so without further ado see below. ps almost forgot the youtube channel is J28MAKER J28MAKER I think its worked so if anyone checks it out can you let me know. also how do I post a clickable link?? as I say I'm completely useless with computers so if you can list the instructions id be most grateful. hope you like them sorry for shakey cam. enjoy everybody phew!!!
Attachments
IMG_2284 (800x600).jpg
IMG_2284 (800x600).jpg (304.57 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
IMG_2283 (800x600).jpg
IMG_2283 (800x600).jpg (265.06 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
IMG_2281 (800x600).jpg
IMG_2281 (800x600).jpg (284.66 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
IMG_2282 (800x600).jpg
IMG_2282 (800x600).jpg (261.01 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
IMG_2278 (600x800).jpg
IMG_2278 (600x800).jpg (227.26 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Hi J28maker. Your YouTube videos are working fine. You also have your first subscriber! As for posting a link, you should be able to find a share option on the YouTube page that will supply a link when clicked on. Copy that and paste it on here and you have your hyperlink in your text. :D

Paul
J28MAKER

Post by J28MAKER »

Thanks carnehan hope they are ok. i'l be finishing loop 2 this week and since your my first subbie then the choice will be yours of what to run be it diesel or steam. il post what ive got tomorrow as tonight i'm shattered.
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Yeah this is a lovely looking layout already and so much space! Delightful....when I'm sat in my cold shed this winter I'll like your layout even more!

Looking good tho and keep the updates coming, I'm enjoying the build.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

J28MAKER wrote:...since your my first subbie then the choice will be yours of what to run be it diesel or steam...
Steam all the way dear boy. :D

Paul
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Lights and Bushells come to mind. You seem to have started at a good level of accomplishment. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
J28MAKER

Post by J28MAKER »

Hi everyone sorry about the delay of posts I've had loads on at work mixed in with holiday and diy. Update is second loop finished apart from point motors to fit. I've also started the walls to my harbour and attempting a scratch build row of shops/amusement arcade. Pictures to follow maybe tomorrow. Apart from test loco the first loco will be STEAM. Thanks for you support chaps.
J28MAKER

Post by J28MAKER »

Hi everyone well ive been busy with my harbour walls heres a few snaps still sorry for delays I'm doing hundreds of miles traveling a day and i'm knackered when I get home so till Christmas its weekend work only.
Attachments
filling the gaps. will scribe blockwork back in
filling the gaps. will scribe blockwork back in
IMG_2414 (800x600).jpg (216.58 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
top down view
top down view
IMG_2413 (800x600).jpg (295.2 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
walls in place
walls in place
IMG_2412 (800x600).jpg (247.67 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
making the walls same as bridge piers
making the walls same as bridge piers
IMG_2409 (800x600).jpg (236.69 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
area to be harbour
area to be harbour
IMG_2408 (800x600).jpg (253.33 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
J28MAKER

Post by J28MAKER »

Hi guys heres a couple of snaps showing my second scratchbuild its going to be a row of 4 seaside shops ie chippie/arcade/shop and of course a rock shop. you cant go to the seaside without fetching rock back!! it needs frontage cutting out and doors windows adding and painting. heres a bit about the build... its foamboard with tea stirrers from a well known fastfood place. a brilliant source of mini timber. ps I always ask before taking a small handful everytime I visit one. the roof and walls are foamboard with 80 grit sandpaper stuck on. once its painted white I'm hoping it will look like pebbledash or render.
Attachments
view from afar
view from afar
IMG_2421 (800x600).jpg (253.87 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
view from frontside with Bernard the test figure
view from frontside with Bernard the test figure
IMG_2420 (600x800).jpg (233.2 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
J28MAKER

Re: UPDATES

Post by J28MAKER »

Hello everyone sorry for lack of posts workload is a bit heavy at the moment. its a good thing though because I can afford a few treats. I've now gone digital my system is the NCE POWER CAB it's a very good starter system and i'm in the process of putting decoders into everything. I have also just purchased the Graham Farish class 108 dcc sound and I am most impressed. runs vey well indeed. I have constructed the seawall and fitted it ready for painting. I have started the steelwork for the bridge I used my airbrush for the first time too nearly blew most of layout across the room when testing it :D I have finished my storage unit I had given me from a job. nicely repainted and fitted brass drawer nametags heres a few photos to keep you going as usual feel free to comment. ive made another short video that I will post on my youtube channel J28MAKER J28MAKER. I will try to link it. the quality is a lot better than the first vids no shakey camera. I've also ordered a small camera so ride around the layout should be on the cards(hopefully) I've also bought a digitrains own brand track cleaner works well for me anyone else have one? one last thing question? can you control dapol semi phor signals using a dcc concepts 8 way decoder?? so it controls points at same time as signal???? ps any good pc programs available to set a timetable to run locos with power cab? a bit like Hornby e link and railmaster. that's all thanks
Attachments
track cleaner
track cleaner
IMG_2436 (800x600).jpg (295.16 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
new seaside station
new seaside station
IMG_2434 (800x600).jpg (261.51 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
new class 108 parked up
new class 108 parked up
IMG_2435 (800x600).jpg (283.57 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
seawall 2
seawall 2