Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Fratton71D

Re: Shawhurst - SR/WR OO gauge layout

Post by Fratton71D »

More progress with the station canopies.
The canopies for the branch line platform are under construction and should be completed fairly quickly.
Attachments
Shawhurst-029a station bldgs PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-029b station bldgs PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-029c station bldgs PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

What with holiday away and garden chores over the last few weeks I’ve not been able to spend much time on my layout. However I’ve finally (and after what seems a long time) finished the station canopies and added some seats, a few passengers, station name totems and luggage trolleys etc under the canopies. Still no station staff, Bachmann 36-404 will take care of these when they eventually become available.
Attachments
Shawhurst-030b platforms PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-030a platforms PB nrm.jpg
Shawhurst-030 platforms PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whynot

Post by whynot »

The canopies are "top" stuff and really complete the overall scene. I like the station area very much. Thanks for the photos.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

whynot wrote:The canopies are "top" stuff and really complete the overall scene. I like the station area very much. Thanks for the photos.
Thanks for your comment. When I first started to build the layout my thoughts were to have a station building only on the platform at the back of the layout and not much else. However over time and with the release of the Hornby Skaledale High Broomes station buildings the station has evolved into its present form, which I feel is now more in keeping with a Southern Region secondary line terminus with an outgoing branch line. Shawhurst (a combination of Shawford and Midhurst) is a made up location in mid-Hampshire east off the mainline between Winchester and Eastleigh allowing me to run passenger trains to and from many Southern Region locations, and with a connection to the Didcot and Newbury Western Region line a selection of WR trains and locos.

The branch line meanders across Hampshire with a connection to the Longmore Military Railway and finally terminates at Hindhead. This allows me all manner of goods trains to be run and plenty of operational and shunting interest using the four sidings in the 90 degree yard.
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Having a had 6-year break from the hobby myself, I must say your layout is giving me the itch and inspiration to get working on a new layout. I love the attention to detail so far. Keep up the good work :)

Tom
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Some parts to add to the station platforms.

Dart Castings name boards.

SR concrete lamp posts. These arrived today and need fettling and painting. I was planning on using the Peco plastic version but they proved to be a little on the flimsy side and bend too easily.

SR water cranes, one for the loco shed yard and one for the branch line platform end. Needs to be painted.

Lamp shades are from the Peco lamp post pack and still needs some final painting.
Attachments
Shawhurst-031 station fittings etc nrm.JPG
Last edited by Fratton71D on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Platform nameboards now in place along with the branch line water crane. This is the Kernow/Bachmann SR water crane with most of the base removed. The base surrounding stone work and the drain cover are from the Ratio 413 water crane kit.
Attachments
Shawhurst-032a stn w crane nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Quite impressed by this.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

Great layout, I really like the realism of the ballasting including the weathering. Look forward to more.

Coops.
Derby Friargate GN
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

Platform lamps now in position. I used the Peco lamp posts after all. The cast metal lamp posts after some modifications and the addition of a ladder are now destined for the Loco yard.

All I need now are some station staff (Bachmann 36-404 when they are available) and a few passengers on the branch platform.
Attachments
Shawhurst-033b stn lamps in place PB.jpg
Shawhurst-033a stn lamps in place PB.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Excellent progress as usual Fratton. Keep up the good work. Pete
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

RailwayRobbo wrote:Excellent progress as usual Fratton. Keep up the good work. Pete
Thanks Pete. I have to say that your layout is one of the layouts on here that have given me great inspiration in the building of mine.

Tony
Fratton71D

Post by Fratton71D »

The basis of what is going to become a building maintenance and paint store for Shawhurst and the branch line.
Attachments
Shawhurst-034 Bldg maint PB nrm.jpg
Last edited by Fratton71D on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

All very nice and tidy work.
Certainly looks good even in those close up pictures,
the ones that so often highlight what we've not got
quite right.

Geoff T.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Those platform canopies really do look good. Would you mind telling me what make and colour paint you used. I have been using Phoenix SR Midde Chrome Green and SR Buildings Cream on some buildings, but I'm not sure if that is right. Also your lamp posts, you say you used the Peco ones - did you mean Ratio? I looked for a long time at SR Concrete Lamp Posts, and the Ratio one's were the only accurate ones I could find. I have now powered these and they really look good - still to be fitted to the platform. Your layout is inspiring me to get a move on with mine. Many thanks - Barry