Scratch Building a Station Building

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Bufferstop

Re: Scratch Building a Station Building

Post by Bufferstop »

Trying to mask and spray the window frames will be a heck of a faff to turn white plastic into white painted plastic. The natural colour of white styrene is a bit greyer than freshly applied white paint. I'd be happy go with its natural colour. If you are going back to do those quoins I'd say your last attempt, but made from the next size up of angle would be about right, folding your own from thin sheet is the route to frustration. If they are a structural item (rather than a decorative overlay) they are the sides and ends of the blocks laid alternately, the width of the blocks is usually between a third to a half of their length, I think you had the height about right.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

I haven't fixed the windows yet to make painting them easier. I think I might have to paint them to hide the gluey bits.

Thanks for advice re quoins, they are on the to do list.
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

so the end of December has arrived and I have got no where near finishing my building. Don't think I have done much at all since my last update, been too busy with Christmas. 2 young kids and Christmas doesn't leave much spare time.

This picture shows where I am at right now. Hopefully I will get it finished in the new year.

However I did manage to complete one bit of scratch building in December :D not much left of it now mind....

Happy new year to all and thanks for all the comments and advice.
Thanks
Jonathan
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Wow. Terrific stuff.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Looks good enough to eat to me Dubblojon and the gingerbread house doesn't look 'arf bad either. :lol:

Paul
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

made a little bit of progress, has taken me a long time to make the little progress I have, seems to take ages cutting all these little pieces of microstrip.
Have added the quoins round the corners of the building, not 100% happy with how they look, but I guess they are always going to look a bit stuck on as that's what they are, maybe I will add them before the plasticard stone layer next time. Hopefully they will blend in a bit when I have worked out how I am going to paint/weather them.

Also made the lintel for the first of the pointed windows, and fixed it in place temporarily along with the window sill to see what it looks like. Need to add some stones up the sides too I think.
Have also glazed the window with some acetate rescued from the abundance of Christmas packaging and temporarily fixed that in place too.

Hopefully the rectangular windows will be a bit easier and take less time.
Have also decided to take the advice offered here and not bother going through all the faff of priming the windows to then go and paint them back to white again.

Cheers for looking
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

I know so many of you will have been unable to sleep wondering if I ever got round to finishing my station building so I thought I better finally do an update.

The answer is still no, I still haven't finished it yet, so much for that original competition deadline, but while I have been recovering from a knee op i have found some time to do some more work on it.

The outside of the building now looks like this

and as i was going to put a light in there I decided to make a little pod to slide inside the front right room to act as the stationmasters office. All the furniture was made from evergreen plastic strips of varying sizes and the walls and rug and door came from a scalescences download.

A few pictures

and one with the light on

could possibly do with adding some more stuff on all the shelves, and I am currently painting a stationmaster to add to the scene.

Next bit of internal detail will be the central corridor from the open doors to the back of the building, then that might be it internally so I can finally get the roof stuck on and work out how I am going to make the fancy fascia/barge boards.

Any comments would be great.
Thanks
Jonathan