GWR recommendations?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Fife

GWR recommendations?

Post by Fife »

If I were to buy a GWR tank and an express passenger locomotive from one of the main manufacturers, based purely on the quality of the model and not on a favourite class what would you recommend?
ParkeNd

Re: GWR recommendations?

Post by ParkeNd »

Which gauge?
Fife

Post by Fife »

Yeah, oops
OO
Bit silly of me
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Any of the Bachmann GWR tanks and either a Hornby Castle class (not the ex-Dapol model) or the just released Hornby King class. I would be wary of the Hornby tanks, particularly the 61XX, 42XX, 52XX and 72XX. These later 'big tanks' were the first incantation of the illfated 'design clever' philosophy and were not well received by the public. Models suffered from several assembly and design flaws. I believe the model has been revisited by Hornby.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

To expand a little on the above, I'd play it like this:

The tank loco for GWR generally in the 1930s/40s is the 57xx. (Ultimately became the single largest class of loco in the UK.) Fortunately the current Bachmann model is a good item, has a sprung centre axle which makes for reliable pick up. Avoid the earlier split chassis models even if the price seems tempting.

If your interest is South Wales that switches to the 56xx, the current Bachmann model is a good item, has a sprung centre axle which makes for reliable pick up. Avoid the earlier split chassis models even if the price seems tempting.

Hornby's Castle in its current version is one of the best models on offer in OO, and I would suggest as the more numerous GWR express design is the better one to go for, as compared to the significantly route restricted King.
End2end

Post by End2end »

GWR_fan wrote:Any of the Bachmann GWR tanks and either a Hornby Castle class
Bigmet wrote:If your interest is South Wales that switches to the 56xx, the current Bachmann model is a good item, has a sprung centre axle which makes for reliable pick up. Avoid the earlier split chassis models even if the price seems tempting.
I concur! My newest loco of my fleet is the Bachmann 56xx 6677 in GWR green (32-084) and is a fantastic model both in looks and movement.
Hope ot helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Leaving aside issues of gauge and personal preferences for brands, a GWR based layout should in my view have a 57xx or similar, and a Hall/Manor/Grange (I have all three and still can't tell the difference between them). Within a few months you will no doubt have added several more so initial choice about where to start has no risks.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

The Hornby Grange is an absolutely exquisite loco in my opinion.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Just a passing note. I saw a 4 car DMU sporting the new GWR livery the other day. Silver logo on green background. I must say it does look rather classic and smart from what I could see from 4 lines over on another platform.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

If you wanted locos that absolutely typified the GWR in the 1930s, go for a Bachmann 57XX tank and a Hornby Railroad Hall. The tank is excellent but the Hall does lack some detail. This is very easily rectified however and it is a superb runner [generally]. Many pour scorn on this Railroad model. I don't know why though, it represents good value and is a first class basis for improvement.

The reason I'd avoid a Castle [if it's only two locos you are looking for] is that it was held by many at the time that the Pannier Tank and the mixed-traffic Hall were the only two engines that the GWR really needed. There was almost nothing that it would not have been able to have done with them.

If you want more than two, your horizon is obviously rather wider.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

Writing from the USA (where I'm building a 1930s GWR layout) I agree with the above - especially the Bachmann Pannier & Hornby "Hall" {current one on market.} I would add for consideration the Bachmann "Collett Goods" and a Bachmann "Small Prairie" for your "B-Set" running to small station. All four are very easy to DCC if you wish.

One piece of gratuitous advice: the small 9-foot coal wagons were owned by the local coal merchant. Decide where your layout is in the real world and look for coal wagons which would have been common in the area.

George
North Carolina
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

The Hornby Grange is on a par with the Castle for quality, but alas the last release was 2007. The originator did ask for an 'express' locomotive. I do not think that the Grange and Hall really fall in this category although no doubt they did stand in numerous times for such duties.

I would consider a recently released Bachmann Hall in favour of the similarly priced Hornby 'design clever' Hall release.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

My only issue with the recent Bachmann Hall Tim is that it would limit your running to late 1944 and beyond. Of course, Rule One can always apply but the older I get the more anal about these things I become !

Although a mixed-traffic loco, the Hall was also designed for and very capable of express passenger use and very frequently ran as such. As did the Black 5 on LMS metals. But I take the point Tim, when one thinks of GWR express locos, Castles [and Kings] generally spring to mind.

The Hornby Grange was a nice loco as has been observed [mixed-traffic again !]. As a model, its great Achilles' Heel was its light weight however. I seem to remember that it weighed considerably less than 300 gms and, consequently, gradients or big loading would require additional weight being added to the boiler. Still, very nice locos however although they will only ever appear in Shirtbutton livery and onwards because they appeared mid-30's. The Shirtbutton looked good on some freight / passenger stock but I never felt that it had any real presence when applied to locomotives. All about personal choice though...

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

In addition to the other desireable GWR models already mentioned, I regretted that 'the brief' effectively excluded the 28xx 2-8-0. I feel this was the most handsome of all Churchward's designs, and the current Hornby model is a top drawer item in their range.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

It takes a 'freight' man to recognise quality !!

Geoff T.