Which decoder?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
joshing_man

Which decoder?

Post by joshing_man »

Long time since I have been on the forum but ....

I have a Hornby 09 R2872 dcc ready. My simple question(!) is which decoder do I use. Not interested in sound, just running, lights (if any) and smooth control.

If I don't want to break the bank but avoid Hornby/Bachmann do I look at Zimo? Any others? How many pins?

Sorry to be so basic but that is where I am at!

Controller is NCE Powercab.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):
Bigmet

Re: Which decoder?

Post by Bigmet »

It's a good mechanism, no lights to worry about, 8 pin socket. Personally, I'd put in a Lenz Standard. It's rather fun where this decoder will fit, it slides neatly into the slots formed by the front screw pillars and the inside of the radiator, standing vertically: almost looks like it was designed to go there! Available at well under £20, for my money I'd say this is the cheapest price at which quality decoders begin; it makes a nonsense of a lot of decoders offered for up to £30 which it comfortably outperforms.

Paying the extra for something like a Zimo is not worthwhile in this case. You don't need the swathe of extra motor control this brand offers for a good mechanism with a big motor which runs smoothly. These are for 'difficult' mechs which need a lot of adjustment to persuade them to perform. Invaluable when you have such a thing to tame, I have half a dozen in service cudgelling good performance out of brutish old mechanisms
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

Hi Joshing...

I would go with a Zimo MX623R.

The prices seem to be going up so get in quick!

Suzie x
joshing_man

Post by joshing_man »

Thanks both. Useful info. Will go for the Lenz in this instance but like the look of the Zimo for extra grunt and fancies!

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Been thinking about this as well ,have thought about ,Lenz standard ,also digitrax ,both around £20 and supposed to be good ,which one would be best ?
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I used a basic Hornby (R8215? not the R8249)) decoder in my Bachmann class 08 and it runs superbly. The decoder came fitted to a secondhand loco and seemed not suited for it so was placed in the 08 and I am very pleased with its performance. Some like them and others seem to have lots of issues with them. The Hornby and Bachmann I believe have similar drives.
RFS

Post by RFS »

If you are prepared to buy 3 Lenz Standard+ decoders they will only cost you €16.99 each with free postage to the UK from this German box-shifter which I've used many times -

http://www.arstecnica.de/shop/advanced_ ... 0llmalk183

That works out at just over £40 - about £13.50 each. Make sure you order the new Standard V2 decoder. At that price the decoder is cheaper than Hatton's prices for basic Hornby and Bachmann ones.
Robert Smith
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

It's very rare for me to disagree with Bigmet, but I'd go for a Zimo MX 621. I can always get superbly smooth stops and starts with these, whereas the Lenz which I'll admit are good, don't have the same refinement, and after all, the 08 is a shunter so will be (I presume) making a lot of stops and starts.
Pete.
SRman

Post by SRman »

Not exactly disagreeing with anyone here: I would say it largely depends on budget.

Lower budget end: I would opt for the Lenz Standard - this is rather large but is single-sided so poses no risks of accidental shorts if the back is firmly against anything metal, or, if a smaller decoder is preferred (easier to fit into any space), TCS M1P or M4P (the latter sometimes available for the same price as the former but has more functions).

Medium to high budget: ESU LokPilot or Zimo MX series.

I'm not fan of Digitrax or NCE decoders (much as I admire and use NCE's DCC controllers and equipment). I would recommend avoiding Hornby decoders altogether (their Sapphire is good but overpriced, IMHO). Bachmann's decoders tend to be otehr manufacturers' older technology, so don't represent particularly good value for money.

The 08/09 deserves something above the really cheap decoders from Hattons, Gaugemaster and a couple of other brands, although some of these do actually give reasonable control at excellent prices.

R2872 should have an 8-pin socket - only the sound-fitted ones use a 21-pin mount, to the best of my knowledge.
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

There is no question that a Lenz decoder will give better performance than a Digitrax one.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Suzie wrote:There is no question that a Lenz decoder will give better performance than a Digitrax one.
+1
Pete.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Another vote for the Lenz Standard for value & quality.
pauliebanger

Post by pauliebanger »

If you want supreme performance at a budget price try the new ZIMO MX600.

All the silky smooth drive you expect from a ZIMO without some of the more advanced features usually standard on ZIMO decoders. Still a '4 Function' decoder, though.

Quite a bit narrower and thinner than the Lenz, (so even easier to fit) and costs £17.50 from Digitrains. What's not to like?

Not many of them in the country yet, so you''ll have to be quick.

Kind regards,

Paul
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Hi Paul.

Couldn't find a stockist (first stop was Digitrains) but can you point me to a list of features for these decoders ? They do seem to be exceptional value.
Pete.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

pauliebanger wrote:the new ZIMO MX600 <snip>costs £17.50 from Digitrains. What's not to like?
Unavailability? Not even listed "out of stock" status or with a price there.