Trouvé - not that far from Perdu!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Notroh

Re: Trouvé - not that far from Perdu!

Post by Notroh »

I am in the middle of constructing a v shaped buildings you see so often in France and wanted to add one of those iconic ghost signs....

My first attempt was done using thin paper, but it just didn't look right
IMG_30061.jpg
IMG_30061.jpg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
But after some excellent advice elsewhere, I printed the image onto Decal Paper and now I am really pleased.....
IMG_30221.jpg
IMG_30221.jpg (132.44 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
:)

Peter
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I like that must try it myself.
I presume that was clear decalpaper ?

Geoff T.
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Building (and ghost sign) coming on well - but please explain to a non Francophile such as myself what you mean by 'V shaped building'. Do you mean its horizontal section is a V (e.g. like the Flatiron Building in NYC)? Yours looks rectangular to me with one corner cut off . . . (could be camera angle fooling me) . . . ?
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

Thanks for the comments guys,

Geoff,

It is clear Decal paper.

PNP

You were looking at the back quarter of the building, here's a front angle:
IMG_30271.jpg
IMG_30271.jpg (104.85 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Peter
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Notroh wrote:PNP
You were looking at the back quarter of the building, ...
Yeah, I couldn't see around that side :lol:
All makes sense now :D
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

That's nice work on the ghost sign Notroh. It's not a term I've heard before. Am I right in thinking it refers to signage painted directly onto the brick and is now faded?

Also, the V building looks great and gives so much character. I'd like to do something similar myself and have my eye on a model version of Belfasts own flat iron building - Bittles bar.

Paul
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

Paul,

Ghost signs are indeed old painted signs, normally of ends of buildings, which over time have faded showing the brick or render beneath

A very common sight in rural France, and in the 1960's, in Victorian areas of many British cities.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ghost ... host+signs

Peter
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

The wide range of building materials and methods is interesting. Have you thought of settling on one core method and adopting it as "your" system of choice - so as to perfect that method?
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

ParkeNd wrote:The wide range of building materials and methods is interesting. Have you thought of settling on one core method and adopting it as "your" system of choice - so as to perfect that method?
ParkeNd

Not yet...still too much to experiment with

Peter
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Notroh wrote:
ParkeNd wrote:The wide range of building materials and methods is interesting. Have you thought of settling on one core method and adopting it as "your" system of choice - so as to perfect that method?
ParkeNd

Not yet...still too much to experiment with

Peter
I thought that might be your stance Peter - but there is a big and visible downside. :wink:
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

On the other hand some people make nice buildings and are happy with piss poor trackwork.

I used to think that sticking to one medium was preferable. But Dad-1's CM convinced me I was wrong. He uses mixed scratch built and card kit buildings to great effect. Without experimentation there would be no real railway, let alone model versions ;)
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

THE CHIEF wrote:On the other hand some people make nice buildings and are happy with piss poor trackwork.
Should I take any personal inference from this CHIEF ?

Parkend's track work before painting presented below for anyone to magnify and examine piece by piece, and joint by joint. All improvement suggestions greatly received with no defensive attitude - guaranteed. I support life long learning and I am fiercely critical of my own work.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Will reply on your own thread ParkeNd rather than clog up Notroh's thread with stuff about your layout.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Believe it or not, not every thread or post on here is about Parkend... :wink:

But while you ask...
ParkeNd wrote:All improvement suggestions greatly received with no defensive attitude - guaranteed
If you stick by this then great, we can all get along. If you can open your mind to other ways of doing things that aren't necessarily how you'd go about things then I think you'd find more traffic on your thread.

Again...
ParkeNd wrote:All improvement suggestions greatly received with no defensive attitude - guaranteed
Just an observation and no offence intended, but sometimes you are rather quick to tell people they are doing things wrong or too fast. Everyone works at different speeds and in their own way. And nearly all end up with the same result. Sure sometimes things go wrong or something doesn't work out but its all valuable knowledge. In fact I think you learn more than if it just works out first time.
ParkeNd wrote:Have been building my first layout since returning to the hobby after a 15 year break.
I'm sure there are things that you are doing differently this time around. Would you have told your younger self if viewing now that this or that needs to improve? Everyone is self critical of course. The better you are the more so, its the nature of the beast. I made a comment about poor trackwork and you instantly thought I was talking about you. Does this mean your not happy with it? Probably not. There are things on Parkend I would have done differently but that doesn't mean they are the right way. Remember when you first absolutely flat refused to paint the rails calling it an act of vandalism? Despite, in your words
ParkeNd wrote: a big and visible downside.

Now they are painted and look better for it. In the end it was absolutely your decision and if you had stuck by the unpainted track then fine! Its your layout. Doesn't mean it would have been wrong, just different. A forum is an odd way of communicating as there is no clear tone to the way people talk. It would be interesting to get everyone down the pub for a gentlemanly debate on the subject of railway modelling. There are things I've learnt from you and hopefully you've learned things from others. Otherwise what's the point of posting online?

Mike ;)

Sorry for the hijack Notroh, layouts looking great and I am watching the extension with great interest. I may not always have the time to post a reply but its all coming along nicely. I'm impressed with the ghost sign, really gives the building a bit of character and interest to the rendered way. :)
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Last point. The issue about painting rails was about the WHAT rather than the HOW. I think that WHAT people do with their layouts is their decision - but the HOW can sometimes be improved and some folk don't ask.

End of point from me.

Over to Notroh's layout and thread without interference.