Slaters Dressed Stone plastikard

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
CandO

Slaters Dressed Stone plastikard

Post by CandO »

Hi all,

Just looking at the Dressed Stone varieties from Slaters Plastikard and was wondering if people had any pics of scenery they've built using this product. Comparing the three sizes of 2mm, 4mm and 7mm I think the 4mm looks 'flat' compared to the other two or does it look different when on a building and in situ and all painted....
247.jpg
247.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
It may just be that the 4mm photo was poorly lit compared to the other two!!

Either way, any comments or pics would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks in advance!!
CandO

Re: Slaters Dressed Stone plastikard

Post by CandO »

The project I'm doing calls for two sizes of stonework in various places as shown in the picture below.
So in N gauge can I presume that I would be using both N and 00 sizes?? And is Slaters the better option for this or is there something even better people can recommend??
P1050557.JPG
P1050557.JPG (154.47 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
Thanks in advance for any comments :D
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

The mm size refers to the suitability for the gauge you are modelling.

2mm = N gauge size stones

4mm = OO size stones

7mm = O gauge size stones

The N gauge cottage I am modelling is in 2mm dressed stone. So is this one below.

The sides of the platform below, and the wall behind it are both 2mm = N gauge - but they are smaller stones - I think referred to be Slaters as stone walling.

There are other brands - they are generally brittle, two dimensional, hard to cut, not flexible, but CHEAP.
CandO

Post by CandO »

Hmmmm....thanks for the pics ParkeNd, makes things a little more clear. I was aware of the 2,4 and 7 scales for N,00 and 0 but just wondered how I could achieve the different sizes of stone....I'm thinking the dressed N and the stone walling will be ideal so thanks very much indeed. In the long run I'm expecting it will all trial and error!! :D
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

The smaller stone on the platform sides is 0422 Stone Courses small 2mm
Vigo
Location: About 300 yards away from the old Woodhead line. Royston Vasey, Derbyshire

Post by Vigo »

... and unless my old eyes are playing up again, the larger one is 0419 Stone Courses Grey Medium (Suitable for 4mm and 2mm scale)
Happily spending most of my spare time in the garage with my trains and a glass of Spain's finest :D
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Vigo wrote:... and unless my old eyes are playing up again, the larger one is 0419 Stone Courses Grey Medium (Suitable for 4mm and 2mm scale)
Not so I'm afraid. These are N gauge buildings. I bought some of the one you mention when 2mm was out of stock and it's far too big for anything less than a castle.
Vigo
Location: About 300 yards away from the old Woodhead line. Royston Vasey, Derbyshire

Post by Vigo »

Err... not quite true my friend. I can assure you that this is not a castle.

This is also 2mm scale.
Happily spending most of my spare time in the garage with my trains and a glass of Spain's finest :D
CandO

Post by CandO »

Love the weathering there Vigo....that's the kind of effect I'd be looking at achieving :D
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Vigo wrote:Err... not quite true my friend. I can assure you that this is not a castle.

This is also 2mm scale.
Not really worth arguing - but your building has small stones on end in the courses - my doesn't. The Slaters Plastikard I used in the large building and my current building is ordered and invoiced as what I said it was - I just checked the paperwork.

End of my involvement. Specsavers time? :shock:

Nice modelling though - well done.
Vigo

Post by Vigo »

CandO wrote:Love the weathering there Vigo....that's the kind of effect I'd be looking at achieving :D
Cheers for that :wink:
For the record, all the buildings on my layout (a 2mm representation of the village I live in) with the exception of two small suitable RTP's have been hand made mostly using the aforementioned 0419 sheets, to my eye it's perfectly suitable for 2mm scale. I bought some of the stuff they advertise as 2mm dressed stone by accident once and I found it to be pretty useless really. The detail is there alright but once it's painted, jointed and weathered it disappears. Certainly not effective using the 3' rule. For what good it was, I might as well have used plain card.

Incidentally, the weathering on that newsagents above was done with a small dab of black acrylic on a fingertip then rubbed and streaked. I think it looks quite effective.

See this link for the rest of the layout: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index ... ic=18256.0

(BTW, I already wear glasses :wink: )
CandO

Post by CandO »

Thought I'd buy a selection of Slaters 2mm & 4mm plastikard sheets to see which would be better suited for my project with the two different sized stones as in the second post image above. Bought direct from Slaters but just went off the description and coding as there were no pictures of the different sheets on the website. The package arrived over the weekend and when I opened it all the sheets were packaged together with no identification as to what was what - I can separate most as to what they are but some look very similar! :o

Task for today is to try and label the buggers up so I know what I'm using - right after emailing Slaters to drop them a handy hint :D
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

For what it's worth I have a "library" of Slaters Plastikard in clear plastic bags stored between books in a bookcase in the train room. I don't worry about what they are called but just use what looks right for the job.
CandO

Post by CandO »

That was my idea too ParkeNd - buy a selection and use what looks best for the job. My problem is that, being a novice atm, some look very similar so I'm not sure which code number to use if I need to order more!! :D

Think I've sorted them out but may end up with roof tiles on my pavements lol :D :D
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

CandO wrote:------------------------------------------------------ some look very similar so I'm not sure which code number to use if I need to order more-------------------------
That's a fair point. I usually bought at least two sheets of everything because of Slaters cursed minimum order price.