Pete's Workshop

What are you up to on your workbench
pete12345

Pete's Workshop

Post by pete12345 »

I thought I'd kick this off with a simple modification to standard couplings.

The standard Triang tension-lock coupling is, mechanically, a very good design. It can be uncoupled completely 'hands off' using a sprung ramp between the rails and manipulation of the locomotive. Pushing a train, the hooks are lifted by the ramp, and if the train is stopped and reversed, it is split at this point. Under tension, the hooks lock on the loop on the adjacent wagon (hence the name) and the ramp is pushed down without uncoupling. Uncoupling is possible by a slight reverse movement of the loco, slackening the couplings and allowing them to be lifted.

This is all well and good, but the ramps always look a bit obtrusive. What would be good is a magnetic uncoupling method that would be invisible. Here's my idea.
DSCN0170.jpg
DSCN0170.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
What I've done is added a length of steel wire to the coupling, forming a loop that extends behind the hook. It's important that this is steel wire, as it will be operated magnetically. It's also important that the length of the lever arm is consistent between couplings, as this allows the magnets to be placed for maximum effect.

Uncoupling will be achieved by two magnets, buried under the track. Operation is exactly the same as with the sprung ramp, as the coupling itself is not modified. Pushing the train, magnets pull the wire loop down, which lifts both hooks. Pulling the train, the hooks lock in the coupled position.
DSCN0159.JPG
DSCN0159.JPG (92.77 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
DSCN0165.JPG
DSCN0165.JPG (94.16 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
This will of course couple to unmodified items, and on fixed rakes of carriages that might be beneficial. It's certainly cheaper than converting to Kadees, and no more ugly ramps between the sleepers. :D
Bufferstop

Re: Pete's Workshop

Post by Bufferstop »

Pete take a look at the Brian Kirby mod for the narrow tensionlocks. It use Bambi staples straightened to make an L shape, superglued to the vertical tail, two 3mm diameter neo magnets three sleepers apart raise the couplers when stopped over them.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bufferstop wrote:Pete take a look at the Brian Kirby mod for the narrow tensionlocks. It use Bambi staples straightened to make an L shape, superglued to the vertical tail, two 3mm diameter neo magnets three sleepers apart raise the couplers when stopped over them.
Same... and almost invisible when the staple has been painted black. :)
(pay no heed to seeing 2 magnets in each position...only 1 is needed.)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

It appears great minds think alike ;)