clearance for sharge track cleaner

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
javelin

clearance for sharge track cleaner

Post by javelin »

Hi There
Not sure where to put this , but seeing as it is a problem relating to clearances under baseboards I thought this would be the place to put the timely warning!!!! Basically when designing your under baseboard clearances do not have any cross bracing with a very limited headroom. I have storage loops under my main station and so as to ease the gradients I had limited clearance on the storage loops, this was okay until I was bought the Sharge track cleaner and although a superb piece of kit it is foul of the loading gauge due to the filler on the top of the tank so I now have to cut pieces out of my bearers to clean the track with the wagon, oops!!
Bufferstop

Re: clearance for sharge track cleaner

Post by Bufferstop »

Although that's a solution for an out of gauge wagon, it's better to allow clearance for the huge out of scale hand needed to retrieve derailed stock.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
javelin

Re: clearance for sharge track cleaner

Post by javelin »

Hi Bufferstop
The only place an out of gauge hand gets stuck is where the cross bracing is and unfortunately that is where the track cleaner gets stuck, basically what I was trying to warn about was limited clearances ie.....low bridges , low station canopies etc.