Saying hi from Kent and advice please

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
RetroPedro

Saying hi from Kent and advice please

Post by RetroPedro »

Hi - I've just joined the forum and I'll be straight and honest with you guys.
Basically, my Dad as recently passed way and as a family, we are left with quite a substantial amount of model railway items. Alot of trains etc some brand new and still boxed. Also alot of track and flat cardboard railway buildings, some brand new. There are additional miniture figures and scenic stuff.
Majority of stuff is 'N' gauge with 'OO' gauge as well, if I've got the terminology correct. Also, there are some transformers in the collection.
My Dad started his collection over 60 years ago and picked up his hobby again after his retirement, some 25 years ago. Sadly, I can't say he ever completed a full layout and did alot more collecting rather than successful building.
As a family, none of us are want to keep any of his collection that we all know will just sit up in somebody's loft and never be used as intended.
So without me being rude and pardon me for asking, but I'm really seeking advice as to best routes/sites where my Dad's collection can be sold on and put to good use. We've had a look on ebay and have been quite surprised on the figures that some of the same trains get bought and sold for. In reality, we just want to sale on at fair/reasonable price without being caught out by the scrouteneers who do it for pure profit.
Additional, my Dad bound most of his magazine collection into hard bound cases. Namely Model Railway but there are others. Some of these issues go back to 1952.
Any pointers on places to approach with the view to selling on will be gratefully received. I apologies if it seems that I've joined the forum as a place to sale, but sincerely I haven't, I'm just seeking advice where the best places are to sell my Dad's railway collection and bits and bobs rather than just leaving it boxes and disposed at a later date.
Last edited by RetroPedro on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whynot

Re: Saying hi from Kent and advice please

Post by whynot »

Ebay in as many separate lots as you can manage is the best price. Or just google "Model Railway Collections bought". You mention Railway Modeler - I think there are usually "we buy...." ads in the classifieds towards the back of each issue.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi - First off, sorry for your loss, it is never easy. As for your fathers collection, there are a number of ways to dispose of the collection. Ebay is an obvious choice, but consider a professional service like Vectis Auction house to deal with the whole lot, they would do all the donkey work to break it into profitable lots, especially the books and magazines, as Ebay is not good for that due to the postage costs of heavy volumes. You could take some photographs and post them on here but if you don't know the true value then setting a price may be a problem.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

RetroPedro wrote:Hi - I've just joined the forum and I'll be straight and honest with you guys.
Basically, my Dad as recently passed way and as a family, we are left with quite a substantial amount of model railway items. Alot of trains etc some brand new and still boxed. Also alot of track and flat cardboard railway buildings, some brand new. There are additional miniture figures and scenic stuff.
Majority of stuff is 'N' gauge with 'OO' gauge as well, if I've got the terminology correct. Also, there are some transformers in the collection.
My Dad started his collection over 60 years ago and picked up his hobby again after his retirement, some 25 years ago. Sadly, I can't say he ever completed a full layout and did alot more collecting rather than successful building.
As a family, none of us are want to keep any of his collection that we all know will just sit up in somebody's loft and never be used as intended.
So without me being rude and pardon me for asking, but I'm really seeking advice as to best routes/sites where my Dad's collection can be sold on and put to good use. We've had a look on ebay and have been quite surprised on the figures that some of the same trains get bought and sold for. In reality, we just want to sale on at fair/reasonable price without being caught out by the scrouteneers who do it for pure profit.
Additional, my Dad bound most of his magazine collection into hard bound cases. Namely Model Railway but there are others. Some of these issues go back to 1952.
Any pointers on places to approach with the view to selling on will be gratefully received. I apologies if it seems that I've joined the forum as a place to sale, but sincerely I haven't, I'm just seeking advice where the best places are to sell my Dad's railway collection and bits and bobs rather than just leaving it boxes and disposed at a later date.
Sorry for your loss. Iam sure all our thoughts are with you at this time.

As to the collection. i would be tempted to to contact Hattons of Liverpool. Info here. http://www.ehattons.com/preowned. or maybe a telephone call. 0151 733 3655.

I am not associated with Hattons, other than a happy customer. I believe you will get a good price from them. SOME of the adverts in railway mags reference to buying stock, watch out. Some are rogues.

Hope this has helped. BUT do watch your posts on this subject there is sure to be more advice on this.

Take care

Tiny

http://youtu.be/U0JJ8snAtz8
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Or you could approach a railway club as many, like my own, provide a sales facility on a commission basis. If you do this, two things to keep in mind :

- from experience, most people believe their collections to be far more valuable than they actually are. Do not be offended by this, but the price you'd pay to purchase a model will generally be well ahead of the price you'd receive when you sell it. It's important to be realistic. As an example, we recently sold part of a collection of Wrenn locomotives for an estate. The deceased had valued each of the engines in excess of £125 each. Only a few were boxed, only one was mint and most had been repainted poorly. The actual value of the majority was iro of £25 each. Many didn't sell, even at that price.

- ensure that you agree the valuation that the club puts on the stock before you agree to let them proceed. Insist on the right to back out if you feel you are not being well represented. Sadly, even in clubs, there are cheap skates and cowboys.

We have a code of practice for sales and always ensure that potential vendors are aware of the options and potential alternatives before agreeing to do business with them. We also charge 20% commission and sell all goods on an 'as seen' basis, so the risk always lies with the buyer. Make sure of that, too.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
RetroPedro

Post by RetroPedro »

Many thanks for all your valued advice guys.
Very much appreciated by me and my family.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I am sorry for your loss, good luck with sorting out your fathers collection - you have come to the right place this lot are a very friendly and helpful bunch.

eHattons are a good place to start but if you have the time make sure you get several people in to look at the collection so you can get a second / third opinion & price! you can normally find traders who will take your whole collection in the back of magazines

if you have the time listing them on ebay in lots is likely to get you the best price but 1) will take time 2)will mean shipping items 3)fees!

as to the magazines these don't tend to hold much value, you can normally pick them up from shows or preserved railways for £1 a stack & posting them will be expensive. If you have a local preserved line why not think about donating them to save you the trouble of having to get rid of them and give them opportunity to raise some funds.

which ever route you go down good luck :)