Tallylyn Railway

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Daniel11

Re: Tallylyn Railway

Post by Daniel11 »

Sorry I still haven't made myself clear. Basically I want a standard gauge double fairlie or dolgoch in 00 scale and 00 gauge (not a ng loco but a similar design)
Thanks
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

b308

Post by b308 »

As far as I know there was only one standard gauge Fairlie, see the loco on the right in the Wales section in this Wikki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlie

Dolgogh (and the Ffestiniog Fairlies) are narrow gauge locos, the only SG ones that would look remotely like it would be small old tank engines... try doing a Google Image search and see what you come up with.
Daniel11

Post by Daniel11 »

Sorry I meant I would like a standard gauge (00 scale and 00 gauge) double fairlie or dolgoch.
Thanks
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

b308

Post by b308 »

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, no-one makes one, the closest you could get is making a 0-16.5 one but that would be bigger than your OO locos. Stick with your OO models to start with!
Kindling

Post by Kindling »

Hi, Daniel11.
I'm afraid you are into the realms of freelance models and scratchbuilding, or, at least, heavily adapted parts. For something standard gauge resembling Dolgoch, have a look at Wantage Tramways loco No.5 (Jane or Shannon), and imagine your railway ordered something similar from Fletcher Jennings.

http://wantage-museum.com/wp-content/up ... ramway.pdf

The loco still exists as Shannon at Didcot museum.

As for the Fairlie, a number of locos were built for export by various builders in the later 1800's of a variety of gauges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlie_locomotive

In contrast to the tiny Ffestiniog locos, some of these were large and extremely powerful. Early Fairlies were built in 1866 for the standard gauge Neath and Brecon railway. Again, let you imagination run riot, possibly starting with two L&Y pug chassis. The difficulty will be, of course, that you will have to pivot them from the main body structure as you would with the bogies of a diesel loco.

I wish you the best of luck in the weird and addictive world of freelance modelling!
Daniel11

Post by Daniel11 »

Thanks for your help!
At least with freelance I won't have to follow anything too closely so it can't go that wrong.
(Sorry about the double post!! I didn't look on the second page so thought it hadn't posted. :oops: :oops: )
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

Standard gauge Dolgoch? Baxter on the bluebell is exactly that, very similar design, built by the same company too.