NRM Review- Bachmann 158 DMU

Articles which have been added to the main site
Metrocamel

NRM Review- Bachmann 158 DMU

Post by Metrocamel »

This model, like the real thing has been around quite a while now. It has been produced by Bachmann in many liveries and formations, most recently the Scotrail, First Transpennine and Metro Liveries. The units are good runners and have very good LED lighting which is directional for both head and tail lights. The liveries are well applied and in the case of the First transpennine version even the recent temporary vynls are featured (not temporary on the model though).

The obvious point is that the power car is very heavy and the dummy car very light. In two car sets one of the driving units is powered and in three car sets it is the centre car. The weight of the unit means it will struggle with inclines and will take decent very quickly. Chassis detail is good and has some fine detail but when handled it feels very fragile and breakable. Separate parts come with the newer and I think also the older models.
I have also heard that the winows made to look openable are wrongly placed and that the glazing is too darkly tinted.

This is a great addition to any Layout set in modern times and the range of liveries means there's one for you! One thing to consider however is that the length of the units and the shape of the front ends means a very large loading gauge. Overall a real classic but could do with more detail in places and a stronger chassis.

Rating-

Good points- Livery well applied, good runner, variety of Liveries, two and three car models.

Bad points- Struggles with gradients, large loading gauge, detailling could be better in places, chassis detail feels weak.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

Totally agree with the chassis deatail being weak, i've managed somehow to break a part of it when trying to get the loco out of the box but have managed to glue it back into place. Great work Metro 8)

Post by 47806 »

Very good review, I will eventually get either a 158 or 170 in Central Trains livery. One question, can the model take a 2nd radius curve well?

Thanks
westbrom

Post by westbrom »

Hi 47806

I have both 158 and 170 models on my layout, which has all second radius curves and they go round them no problem.

Neil
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Mine doesn't it's attatched to the body but mine is the one pictured above, is yours an older type?
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

Is it DCC compatible?
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

No there is no socket :( . MRM did an article on upgrading 158 and 159 units along with other DMU types I think all were by Bachmann.
The article was in the Autumn issue before the one out now.
Layout updated 18/10/09!

Post by 47806 »

Thanks westbrom, moment of panic over!
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

This loco is a bugger to convert to DCC. the biggest problem with the model for me. It is a nice Loco tho.