good width and using old track?

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
kinning

good width and using old track?

Post by kinning »

Debating on using a board right round the loft more so than the large board I have at the moment. What would be the ideal width. Thinking 2ft?

Also ive ballasted track. Should I buy new or try and salvage some?
Ex-Pat

Re: good width and using old track?

Post by Ex-Pat »

I would suggest that the board width depends on whether or not the whole layout is going to be scenic. You don't have to use the same width all the way round. If you have relatively inaccessible areas that are not going to be seen then you could get away with less than 2 feet.

As far as salvage goes I would give it a try on a small section and then weigh up whether the condition of the salvaged track, and the time taken, are worth the effort or not as far as salvaging the remainder.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Whether or not you can salvage the track really depends on how well it's glued down. My layout isn't intended to be moved often so I lightly pin the track until it is ballasted, then use a weak PVA mix to hold the ballast, finally I pull the pins (except those on points) when everything is set. An old flat kitchen spatula (if you value your life make sure it's old as in not wanted) pushed under the sleepers is usually enough to set the track free. Then I use a stiff brush to push out the ballast from between the sleepers. I use a cat litter tray liner to catch the ballast. Most of the track is re-usable and after a good stirring round and sieving so is the ballast. If you have used strong PVA to fasten down the track try hot water to loosen its hold.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
kinning

Post by kinning »

OK many thanks. Going to go to Homebase to price wood and then make a decision on what width. I'll give removing the track ago. manily the point would spend the time on.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

When reusing flexible track, it helps to give it a twist back and forth a few times to break off any stuck pieces of ballast. Ensure it's fully flexible again before trying to reuse.
kinning

Post by kinning »

dampened most of the track last night and got most of the points. Happy with what I got. Just all needs a good clean now
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I agree that 2 feet is a good width of boards for a loft, remember that 2ft becomes nearer 2'-6" in the corners, scenic or not you still have to reach these areas for building and cleaning. What is the pitch of the roof? I have low pitch roof so the height above the boards decreases as you go towards the back of the loft and that has to be taken into consideration.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
kinning

Post by kinning »

Yes its very steep. But i have a board all ready screwed up, that has two lines round it. Going to adapt this into the layout.
kinning

Post by kinning »

Old board removed and new 2x6 fitted. Going well so far, touch wood. Seem to have more room and under table space. All boards easy to access.

ImageImageImage