Best way to connect baseboads

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
lufclover

Best way to connect baseboads

Post by lufclover »

What is the recommended way to join boards for a new layout I am making. I have not got a fixed home yet so I am using 6 x 4 mdf board cut in half making 2 x( 6 x 2) with a lip to overlap the join. battened out with 2x2 to stiffen up.
At present I am using screws to make the join and has an extra brace 2x1 down the sides.
I am not sure which is the best way to make electrical contact for the rails. Temporailly I will use powerclips at each end of the track and link with wire and butt join the rails. It's more of working out the problems before I make my final layout design however my joins will consist of two circular lines that makes 4 joins 2 either side of the boards.

Obviously your experienced Modellers so there must be a better way.

Regards

lufclover
Essex2Visuvesi

Re: Best way to connect baseboads

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Saw an interesting method to Join the power on a Gauge 1 layout the other day..... The connectors from a car trailer hitch :shock:
It depends on how often the layout will be disconnected. Many people use old D connectors from printer cables and the like. Personally I have always used automotive type connectors as these are more durable and can handle higher currents
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
A lot will depend on the number of wires (Circuits) that need to pass board to board?
5 or 6 pin DIN plugs with either matching chassis sockets or in-line sockets are ideal for use where only a few circuits need to pass across the joint.

D connectors are a very popular means where many circuits have to cross the joint and the 25 pin D connector is used. There are smaller D connectors sold too - 9 way and 15 way versions, but avoid the 3 row 15 way ones as they are a real pain to solder the wires into the pins! You will need the appropriate shell (cover) for each D connector used.

You will have to solder up these connectors. Don't be tempted to use ready made PC leads, the wires used inside them are far too small in wire gauge. The only exception is if your happy to double or even treble up wires in a ready made lead!

Look at the Maplin web site for both DIN and D connectors to get the idea. Though Maplin are not the best priced supplier but are handy as they have high street stores in the UK.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=DIN+connectors
http://www.maplin.co.uk/d-sub-connectors-1113

For rail feeds across a board joint ....Solder rail dropper wires to the undersides of the rails then take these dropper wires to ideally a 12 way (or less/more ways as needed) terminal strip. From the strips other side run flexible wires to the chosen multi-pin plug / socket. Then do the same on the other board. Any point motor feeds and other direct feeds connect directly to the terminal block then out to the multi-pin plug etc.

Some ideas on baseboard joints etc are shown here...Hints & Tips
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
lufclover

Post by lufclover »

Thanks everyone for the information. Very useful. I will aquire some D type plug and socket for future connections. I also saw a post with the railss oldered to a hidden brass screw and linked as well.

Regards

lufclover
noel

Post by noel »

+

With the change in computer drive power connectors there
is a glut of the Molex 4way connectors being thrown out with
every computer. There are also a lot of RS232 serial printer
cables and with male/female plugs.

I like the 4-way Molex because they take heavier wires and will carry
both a DCC Bus and an Accessories Bus.

Molex also have the MLX Range of up to 15 pins.

+
b308

Post by b308 »

pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

noel wrote: I like the 4-way Molex because they take heavier wires and will carry
both a DCC Bus and an Accessories Bus.
I guess that's ideal if you use DCC accessory decoders. You can even buy ready-made extension cables from ebay for next to nothing and cut them in half.