moisture

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
fgstf

moisture

Post by fgstf »

Just discovered looking around the layout, all the litchen had dark areas around the base? on investigation discovered that because the insulation is not great in the shed I can only presume that moisture (or the cold air) is being absorbed by the litchen and its all damp anyone ever expierenced this?
Brian
b308

Re: moisture

Post by b308 »

If its done that to the lichen just think what its starting to do to the baseboards... Damp and model railways do not mix well... I'd be looking to find out where the damp is coming from and stopping it.
fgstf

Post by fgstf »

But therein lies the mystery, the moisture or dampness is not showing up anywhere else only the litchen?
Brian
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

You are probably the source of the moisture, lichen is damned awkward stuff to kill, it's probably gone into its winter survival state. In the days before you could buy it ready prepared, soaking in hot glycerine was recommended to stop it trying to regrow. We have a home office in a garden cabin, 3" thick pine with triple tongue and grooving, plus internal insulation. Between the two of us and the paperwork we cart in and out we generate enough airborne moisture to fill the collector on serious dehumidifier twice a week.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
fgstf

Post by fgstf »

you could have blown me over with a feather, never thought lichen is a live product, just thought the lichen we generally use was a syntehtic product :oops: until I looked at the back of the bag of woodland scenic bag...hydroscopic lichen, I use witch after research absorbs moisture in the air.Is there any way of drying this out, spraying it with green spray paint perhaps?
Brian
poliss

Post by poliss »

Just in case you want to buy some in a shop it's pronounced 'liken'.
Andrew S Harvey

Post by Andrew S Harvey »

You call it 'liken', I call it litchen. Lets call the whole thing moss! :D
poliss

Post by poliss »

That's a cracker. It's the way you tell them. :lol: :lol:
markh

Post by markh »

ewe lichen is live stuff uck :lol: :lol: well that problem never happened to me on my layout when i used it even in winter when the water i used to clean brushs froze over are will cook you in the heat freeze you in winter
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Andrew S Harvey wrote:You call it 'liken', I call it litchen. Lets call the whole thing moss! :D
Yes, I liked that one too.........

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......