A simple project in On30

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
oztraingirl

A simple project in On30

Post by oztraingirl »

These are photos of a loco I have built using a model power HO shunter, some styrene sheet and a bit of spare time (about 4 hours all up) It is not the world's greatest runner but it was a cheap conversion.I simply cut the original cab off, and removed the roof. The new On30 cab is built up using styrene sheet and the original roof glued in place. I hand painted the model and dirtied it up by splashing some watered down paint over it. The handrails were made using some brass wire, I also removed cut out the terrible plastic grill and replaced it with some brass gauze. The headlight is a brass eyelet from my sewing basket and has been fitted with an LED which I haven't been able to get working yet. I really do have to get rid of that awful silver horn and find somethinmg a little more approriate.

Robyn
Attachments
NG-Diesel-800px.jpg
NG-Diesel-800px.jpg (133.06 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
NG-Diesel-2-800px.jpg
NG-Diesel-2-800px.jpg (75.6 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Essex2Visuvesi

Re: A simple project in On30

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Nice work.
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
oztraingirl

Post by oztraingirl »

Thankyou
whynot

Post by whynot »

The simplest is often the most effective! Charming little loco.

I've had a Lima shunter part dismantled and awaiting a similar "experiment" (well, it will be just that for me!) within hands reach for a few months - I think you've prompted me to start cutting.....!
oztraingirl

Post by oztraingirl »

Hi Dave,
I look forward to seeing the results.

Robyn
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

It's good to see some On30 on here again - there must be a couple of modellers who work in that scale. I have some rolling stock and kits which await the completion of my club's other layout, a large desert themed On30 affair. Attached is a photo of a portable steam engine I made out of a Bachmann flatcar, a resin boiler kit and the rest scratch built. Hope you like it.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
oztraingirl

Post by oztraingirl »

What a great model, where did you get the boiler kit from. Is your layout in the garden? I have been considering building an On30 layout outside.

Robyn
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I cannot for the life of me remember where the boiler kit came from - I think I found it on the internet. I'll look around for you.

Nope, no layout at home I'm afraid. Waiting for the club layout to be finished......

Tony
oztraingirl

Post by oztraingirl »

Thanks Tony, I don't have a lot of room in my little house but I do have a reasonable back yard that I think is screaming out for a layout. It would be so cool to see little trains winding their way around the garden. The problem here in Australia is the daytime temps so you would have to run early morning or late afternoon. The clubs here are not overly interested in On30, with most being HO or OO or N and that's it, I don't know of any that have an On30 club layout.

Robyn
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

A couple more photos of Bachmann conversions Robyn...........

Bachmann On30 flatcar with Solido modified fire bowser [a little over scale but not a problem]

Next two : Bachmann On30 flat car with resin MOW conversion [cabin and sides] and lots of scrap box parts

Bachmann On30 flatcar with pair of Bachmann 'oo' boilers [from 'oo' accessory pack]

Tony
oztraingirl

Post by oztraingirl »

Hey Tony,
I love your work, Where did you get the little shovels sledgie and other assorted tools from? They are just so COOOOOOl. I love it. Would like to see some more of your work, when you get a chance. Have a lovely Christmas and a great New Year.

Robyn
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

I really love that rust Tony ! :D

Is that real rust formation ?

Great work here also from you Robyn , look forward to seeing more !

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

oztraingirl wrote:Hey Tony,Where did you get the little shovels sledgie and other assorted tools from? Robyn
Sorry, Robyn, I'm not much use I'm afraid - I cannot remember the make but I bought them as resin and whitemetal bits and pieces at railway shows. They were marketed as 'O' gauge accessories and so fit On30 perfectly. And a Happy Christmas too ! I'll take some photos of the club's layout in the New Year - none of it is my work however [my work can be seen in 'St David's Wells' in the layouts Under Construction thread - shameless self-promotion !].
0121modeller wrote:I really love that rust Tony !

Is that real rust formation ?
It's a blending of weathering powders 0121. I like using them and they are quite realistic. You do have to be careful when handling them however. I also weather with powdered chalks.

Enjoy the season all !

Tony