what does the PCB board do ?

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
eagle50043

what does the PCB board do ?

Post by eagle50043 »

Sorry if this is a daft question, but i wanted to clear it up in my mind before i go ahead and attaempt to re-engine
a model using a Heljan class 26/27/33 motor.

What does the PCB board do ? will i require this when re-motoring an older loco that doesn't need direction lights etc ?

finally, anyone know where i can get just a motor from, without buying a whole loco ? Cant see any on the Heljan webiste....

thanks.
Bigmet

Re: what does the PCB board do ?

Post by Bigmet »

Howes of Oxford are the Heljan agent in the UK, and are by reputation (never had to use them) good for Heljan spares. Do your research first though; a box shifter like Hattons usually has good offers, and they are currently knocking out older 26s and 27s around £49. That's a very low price for a complete running chassis. What are you actually planning to re-motor?

The PCB doesn't do a lot, it is really an assembly aid for a loco like this. Pick up leads from the bogies in, the track power routed via a decoder socket, distributed to motor and lights, some suppression components. For a straight DC chassis you can just take it out, and wire direct from pick ups to motor. If you are feeling good, add the suppression components.
eagle50043

Re: what does the PCB board do ?

Post by eagle50043 »

thanks for the info, thats helped a lot. I did think i might be able to wire it without the PCB but wasn't sure...

its a Hornby APT im re-motoring/re-wheel. ive never even taken the body off/apart so that will be dawnting in itself
as it dont look as easy an, for example, my Hornby 58 or Lima stuff.

tar.