Weighting really light stock

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
kiwitram

Weighting really light stock

Post by kiwitram »

I was messing around the other day, and dicovered that dead batteries in coaches and waggons really do increase the weight a lot and help them adhere better to the track. The same I suppose could be done for dead locos or even working models, if enough room is given.

Kay :D
Lysander

Re: Weighting really light stock

Post by Lysander »

Some dead batteries can leak noxiously however, so you need to be sure what you are locking away inside your goods vans. 2p pieces are far better, and totally inert of course.

Tony.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

To overcome the drag of pickups to the unpowered model of FR No20 that I'm working on I needed to add 25grams somewhere. The only place was inside the boiler. Rumaging around my workbench I found a collection of chewed up hex drive screwdriver bits. Four of them came to 25gm, so I wrapped them in a poly bag (to stop them rattling) and shoved it into the boiler tube.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

Agreed, batteries can pose a bit of a risk. When they leak you really want to know if they will react with the materials enclosed with them, glue, plastic etc. 2p coins I've used before but I find that after a period of time the copper corrodes to a point that they rot out of the glue holding them in place.

This is the kind of stuff you want to use as you want to keep added weight as low as possible in a model, 'liquid leads' are great for this as you can fill chassis voids with the stuff. Fluid superglues and epoxy resins are great for holding this stuff in place. The main aim regardless of what you use as the weight is to use an adhesive that doesn't accelerate corrosion of the weight material, which is something that PVA does very well so should be avoided at all costs for this use...ever used a screw to cap that tub of PVA, then noticed a few days later that the screw is rusting?
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
guinnesskid

Post by guinnesskid »

I started to use old button batteries in my n gauge stock but when my box of "dead" batteries started exploding I soon took them out again. I was thinking about using lead weights from the local fishing tackle shop. Would these pose any problems?
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.
b308

Post by b308 »

No. Most people still use lead strip anyhow. Its easy enough to get hold of in the small quantities we use it. Just don't take any off your roof!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Lead strip is fine - and has the added advantage that you can cut it with strong scissors, so you can cut exact shapes to fit recesses in chassis, etc. Epoxy will hold it well also.

Tony.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

How can that possibly be safe for fish ? Mind you, who cares about fish....

[I didn't just say that - and you didn't really read it here either. Oh no you didn't. I love fish. Yes I do. I just love 'em to bits].

Tony
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Lysander wrote:How can that possibly be safe for fish ? Mind you, who cares about fish....

[I didn't just say that - and you didn't really read it here either. Oh no you didn't. I love fish. Yes I do. I just love 'em to bits].

Tony
I dont know but my dad has been using it in his aqauriums for years and some of his fish are over 15 years old
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

It looks quite good value - 10ft. would last a life time. I just can't work out how it's sealed after you cut it. I would have thought lead was the last thing you'd want to put in aquarium water. Still, if it works, it works.

Tony.
gwr

Post by gwr »

Essex2Visuvesi , got any spares for a panzer 4
FZ6

Post by FZ6 »

I've used some self adhesive wheel balance weights before. They can be picked up for a reasonable price on ebay.
ChesterChuen

Post by ChesterChuen »

Another way i suppose might be the use of fishing weights. These weigh alot and are the size of batteries and do not leak. Just my pennies worth of idea. :)
My Honda NSR150SP smokes like a clagging Deltic when it's cold. Trust me, it looks just like one!
Ofcause, not on the same scale.
It spews hot burning oil out of the exhaust like the Deltic when at full trottle too .
buz

Post by buz »

Hi guys
I just fit metal wheels and bearings as needed.
I find if the stock has metal wheels it doesn't give any problems.
because the weight is down low where you need it.
if my stock has plastic wheels they get changed as a matter of course.
regards
John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished