Vi Trains 47's

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
50035 Ark Royal

Vi Trains 47's

Post by 50035 Ark Royal »

Hi anybody own one? what is the detail and motor like? as there is one on Hattons id be interested in ordering as it is one of the most famous of the fleet and i believe it is preserved.One of Old Oak Common's special duffs.
Last edited by 50035 Ark Royal on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: Vi Trains 47's

Post by 0121modeller »

Just bought myself a Vi-trains class 47 47401 North Eastern in BR blue large logo :D

Quiet motor & smooth runner , but tbh, I've only so far tested on straight track, it has good fuel tank & battery box area detail, & etched roof grill & fan, & details pack.

But sadly & like its competitors, IMO its very much let down by the serck shutters area :roll: , so its another 47 model that I'll have to modify as well as my Heljan & Lima 47's. :|

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
50035 Ark Royal

Post by 50035 Ark Royal »

Dave how many 47's have you got? Think you will enjoy my next topic with a poll in General Model Railway discussion.
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Dave how many 47's have you got? Think you will enjoy my next topic with a poll in General Model Railway discussion.
Ian
7 in total at the moment, they are ;

4 x Lima 47............ 3 will feature for "Scrapyard / loco sidings" project, 2 of these "exposing engine"
2 x Heljan 47
1 x Vi-Trains 47 (will possibly buy another in damaged condition)
1* x Bachmann 47 (*proposed)

at least 3 of the above will be sent away for a real rust effect & flaking paint re-spray job, other modifications & "crash damage" work etc I'll do myself
All will have serck shutter modifications exept 1x lima 47 with only its cabs & collapsed chassis remaining.
I intend to do similar work to various makes of 31's & 37's.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Some time ago I tried a ViTrains class 37 and was somewhat disappointed with it's performance so I sold it on and thought maybe I'll stick to Bachmann Hornby & Heljan in future. I spent a great afternoon wandering round the Brighton Modelworld Exhibition on Friday and although disappointed with the fewer and fewer layouts they seem to have each year I did spot a little treat on one of the trade stands waiting for me to buy it. A Brand new ViTrains Class 47 47401 in large logo blue (a livery I actually quite like) for the princely sum of £39.99. So having parted with my money I thought, hmmm... Vi trains.. let's give them another go!

I have to say whilst I find the fitting of so many parts to a loco irritating, I got most of them on, fitted a decoder and pressed her into service this afternoon. Having given the loco the once over, I'm impressed with it and it captures nicely the lines of the real thing. I'm not a rivet counter and as long as it looks like a 47 that will do me. I had it running double headed with a Bachmann 47 round the garden and I honestly had to look hard to tell they were different. It would be unfair to do that with a Heljan 47 because of the slightly oversized look of this manufacturers version. The Vi Trains 47 is a nice model, it's not worth the full RRP though and it won't win any prizes for speed on a layout but It's passed the running in trials on my line and I'm glad to say it will be staying on the Bambrough garden line for the time being.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
SRman

Post by SRman »

I agree with Metadyneman's summary of ViTrains: they are good but not for full retail price. There are many specials on both class 37 and 47 from ViTrains which represent excellent value for money. I have one class 37 and a 47 chassis under an older Lima NSE 47 body. Both are very nice runners, smooth and powerful but with a slight but not unpleasant whine from the mechanism. At full price, I think the Bachmann and Heljan products are slightly better, but not by much.