Re: Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - cessation of services

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Re: Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - Figures and plastering...

Post by Lofty »

Mighty wrote:I have since covered the hills with chicken wire tied down to the hill formers, then with paper towel soaked in pva. I have to admit it was a messy old business, and I covered myself in pva glue before begging for the assistance of my lovely other half who prevented me sticking myself to the baseboards... Anyway, this is what it looked like last night after a week's drying:

I've now given it an extra layer of plaster bandage which was so much easier, if a little more expensive.
My preferred option for hills etc is PVA soaked paper towel, I find that half a dozen layers dries into a nice hard shell that doesn’t need any plaster bandage over it
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Coming along Nicely! Well done Chris looking forward to more!
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Mighty

Post by Mighty »

mattmay05 wrote:Coming along Nicely! Well done Chris looking forward to more!
Thanks Matt, much appreciated from someone who I personally envy very much. Video is now up here, which Matt has already found:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cgwhite32#p ... rPGAnCh5_k

In other news I've ordered my first wagon kits to have a go at kitbuilding. They are the LBSCR cattle wagons in resin from Smallbrook Studios. If they turn out ok, I plan to have a go at the four coach LBSCR rake from the same makers.
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20737
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

ahh found smallbrook studios then! I have to get round to ordering the coach set once ive stopped spending money on Baxter and wheels. Great video and no need to be envy me, my work is mere fish and chip paper.
Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

Mighty!, Just noticed your progress, you're layout has come on leaps and bounds since I was last there!, the hill is looking good, have you done the bit above your track yet? nice 56xx too, looks very smart in that livery, i might have to get mine repainted in that livery! :D
Mighty

Post by Mighty »

Pedanticmongrel wrote:Mighty!, Just noticed your progress, you're layout has come on leaps and bounds since I was last there!, the hill is looking good, have you done the bit above your track yet? nice 56xx too, looks very smart in that livery, i might have to get mine repainted in that livery! :D
Hi Dan, thanks for the nice comments - much appreciated! I have indeed filled in the bit above the track using plaster rather than pva and towel as it drips less, so the next job will be to paint it all in a brown earthy colour. I've just noticed that I forgot to post up the picture of the Pannier, so since I know you're a big fan of all things GWR, here you are:

mattmay05 wrote:ahh found smallbrook studios then! I have to get round to ordering the coach set once ive stopped spending money on Baxter and wheels. Great video and no need to be envy me, my work is mere fish and chip paper.
I have indeed, though I purchased them off ebay at a slightly knockdown price. I need to work out the correct paint colour (assuming Humbrol do something in SR wagon livery?) and also source some suitable transfers. I have no idea how to do any of this stuff, but as an avid reader of Model Rail and other internet sources, I'll give it a bash and see how it goes.

I'm a huge fan of yours Matt, and I am envious simply because of the great work you've done on the kitbuilding - I'd love to get some tips off you at some point.

Many thanks again for the comments.

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

Pedanticmongrel

now you're 57xx is very handsome, I'd love to have one in O, unfortunatley finding a Tower Brass one is now very tricky as they have long been out of stock :(
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks, I mean theres no trick with the painting and the colour... I usually use a mix of Pheonix, and Humbrol, preperation of surface is 99% of the work in order to get a good finish, 1% is the brush. Thats all I can really say, I have a small Art background which i suppose does help but i wasnt a fan of paint.

If you need any advice i would be more than willing to tell you so feel free to send any questions.
lairadepot

Post by lairadepot »

hi ya mate
i love teh look of your layout and i am loving the gwr locos as i am a great western boy it makes me smile and proud to see these types of locos
keep up the good work look to see the progress on this layout
peter
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Chris,
It's quite a while since I last saw your Lay-out Posts. Many Thanks for the Prairie 2-6-2 Pic and the info. on the Wagons, they look really good. Your Lay-out is going from strength to strength. Good Luck with the Wagon build,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
Mighty

Re: Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - constructing building kits

Post by Mighty »

Well, it's been a few weeks since my last update, and things have been progressing fairly well. I have now finished the plastering over the tunnel using plaster cloth and clingfilm to keep the track clean, so it is now ready for painting a muddy colour. At least it now looks like a snowy hill:

I've also been beavering away for some weeks, indeed months on a Wills Craftsman goodshed kit after deciding that the ready-to-plonk buildings didn't quite do it for me. It was quite tough, making no bones about it. It's a shame I didn't do a photo-diary, which I will try and do on my next project, but it's not a simple process. Unlike the ratio kits, which just glue together ready for painting, the Wills kits come as sheets of quite thick plastic mouldings, which you then have to cut to shape. I made the mistake of hurrying in the early stages, and the old adage of 'measure twice cut once' came back to haunt me, meaning my first experience with some very sticky modellers putty to fill the gaps. It looks ok, though having now painted it, I wonder whether the colour scheme looks too dark compared to the other RTP buildings I've recently purchased. See for yourself here, along with a loading ramp from Ten Commandments, and a weighbridge and hut from ratio:

Close-ups can be very cruel... but as a first effort I'm fairly pleased. I've now just started the Wills Craftsman station building, where the instructions are more than a little spartan I have to say. Don't expect that to be completed before Christmas!

Finally, I've given in to an ebay purchase which I've been after for some time. See if you can guess what it is:
I spent rather too much money on it, but it gives me pleasure, I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, and electrics still haunt me!

Pedanticmongrel

the ebay purchase looks like an E4 to me, nice job on the hill and the buildings!
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

certainly looking like the E4 i was watching as well, pending all the other bits as there are a number of diffierent versions and different valves, chimney's and Dome... Chimney looks a bit shorter than the one ive built mine too.

But still looks a lush paint job, im considering redoing mine at the moment.
tom92240

Post by tom92240 »

Mighty wrote: Finally, I've given in to an ebay purchase which I've been after for some time. See if you can guess what it is:
2 Private Owner wagons? :D
Pedanticmongrel

mattmay05 wrote:certainly looking like the E4 i was watching as well, pending all the other bits as there are a number of diffierent versions and different valves, chimney's and Dome... Chimney looks a bit shorter than the one ive built mine too.

But still looks a lush paint job, im considering redoing mine at the moment.
cool, I can't wait to not read about it on your thread. :D

So Mighty, can you confirm wether you have an E4 or not?