Plankwell Sidings – 00 micro layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
haeckmaen

Plankwell Sidings – 00 micro layout

Post by haeckmaen »

Hi,
while my N gauge activities had been slowed down a bit the last months, I decided to dabble in 00 to discover the pleasures of shunting which I found limited in the smaller scale.

This one being my first venture into 00 was originally meant as a contribution for a micro layout competition held by the British railway enthusiasts’ forum in Germany, but as far as the number of those modelling British railways in Germany is quite limited, the micro still remains without a competitor while closing date is this month. http://75355.homepagemodules.de/f48-Wet ... tests.html

The layout’s concept is a mainline diesel pushing a row of three wagons max into the exchange siding, then uncoupling with a shunter iglenocking the wagons into the warehouse and metalworks sidings. Then the same reverse until the mainline may pull the 3-4 wagon freight into the imaginary big world. The 04 and 27 and four wagons represent my entire 00 stock so far. Control is via Gaugemaster HH with all sidings insulated, but DCC operation is still possible when turning two DPDT’s.

Since my activities are mainly bound to N gauge the challenge was to build this micro layout with lowest investment possible to achieve some serious results. This meant second hand stuff trackwise, therefore all Peco Code 100, buildings from card and details from the scrapbox mostly. The Scalescenes free warehouse download was modified as a goods shed, while the office buildings are H0 models by Piko which I can recommend for 00 gauge since they are almost overscale for 1/87.
micro spielbereit 1.JPG
micro spielbereit 1.JPG (135.07 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
Schotter fixiert micro 2.JPG
Schotter fixiert micro 2.JPG (163.22 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
class 04 zugerüstet micro.JPG
class 04 zugerüstet micro.JPG (146.31 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
Plankwell Stellpultseite forum.JPG
Plankwell Stellpultseite forum.JPG (219.79 KiB) Viewed 6370 times
Plankwell totale forum.JPG
Plankwell totale forum.JPG (224.39 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
I hope you like the photos so far.

Regards, Matthias
haeckmaen

Re: Plankwell Sidings – 00 micro layout

Post by haeckmaen »

Just another batch of pics...
Plankwell am Bahndamm-Gras forum.JPG
Plankwell am Bahndamm-Gras forum.JPG (202.12 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
Plankwell Einfahrt detail forum.JPG
Plankwell Einfahrt detail forum.JPG (235.64 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
Plankwell shunting scene forum.JPG
Plankwell shunting scene forum.JPG (239.04 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
peco backscenes industrial 2.JPG
peco backscenes industrial 2.JPG (229.43 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
Rammy

Post by Rammy »

WOW! That looks fantastic.
I must admit when I saw your first photo I thought "what's the point" but having seen your later pictures you have detailed this small scene with amazing detail. I guess the advantage of a small plank as well is that you can take it outside easily to get some photos in natural light.
Congratulations!

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image
jimread

Post by jimread »

I really like this, thanks for showing the pics, for anyone contemplating making a micro, like me, this is a fantastic inspiration.

The way you have converted that Scalescenes warehouse into something much longer, or so it appears is very good indeed. The other building looks as though it might be served by either rail or by lorries and vans or both, nice touch that.

Kind regards - Jim
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

That's really good - and what a difference taking photos out of doors makes, too.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
haeckmaen

Post by haeckmaen »

Thanks for your comments, that's very encouraging. :)

Taking photos outdoors improves the lighting a lot, but I'm still looking for a real-life backdrop setting which fits the scenery e.g. featuring industrial brick buildings. There is such around here, but most of them are distinctively German (lettering, typical railway catenary and so on) so I'm still looking out.

Despite there is some efforts in buildings and trackwork, this small one is far from finished. Latest additions include some further detail. Stops at the end ot all the track make shunting much easier just keeping the stock from falling off the layout, which is quite useful at that limited shunting space.
Plankwell Detail 25.8.-2.JPG
Plankwell Detail 25.8.-2.JPG (218.64 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
Plankwell Detail 25.8.-3.JPG
Plankwell Detail 25.8.-3.JPG (222.41 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
Plankwell Detail 25.8.-5.JPG
Plankwell Detail 25.8.-5.JPG (237.75 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
scalescenes Plankwell Detail 1.JPG
scalescenes Plankwell Detail 1.JPG (258.76 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
scalescenes Plankwell Detail 2.JPG
scalescenes Plankwell Detail 2.JPG (262.65 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
Next to add is some more equipment at the metalworks to make "Plankwell Cable & Wire" a siding worth being served.

Regards, Matthias
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Absolutely FANTASTIC!! Great attention to detail and I'm so jealous!! It looks so simple!
What Ballast did you use??
haeckmaen

Post by haeckmaen »

Hi matt, thanks,
the ballast is from Jeweha of Belgium, item "0202 basalt H0". It's from a friendly person usually attending German and Dutch exhibitions and selling some bulk packs there. Their homepage, however, is one of the most basic I've ever seen http://www.jeweha-modelbouw.be/ and 50% of it is in a language not intelligible :mrgreen:

The only drawback is the whole trackbed becomes totally dark when using the water-glue method. That's why I gave it a gentle white drybrush afterwards. I'd rather chose gray granite next time.

Matthias
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

What a splendid little model!

First time I've spotted this and I am heartily impressed with it. Nice, simple design and plenty to keep you occupied! I particularly like the little details you've added such as those on the building, the gate area and the rather nice concrete fence.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
small358786

Post by small358786 »

Nice little layout,would like to do something similar myself,any chance of a track plan :D
BIG DUNC

Post by BIG DUNC »

Some great detail there mate.

Duncan...

BIG DUNC
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I do like these small diorama/micro layouts.
I feel that because they're so small the enthusiasm stays at a high level and results in better scenic and artistic presentation.
This is certainly well done and presented.

Geoff T.
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Matthias,
Very impressive modelling, mate. This has rapidly turned into an excellent Lay-out. Keep-up the good work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
theunborn

Post by theunborn »

Hi i love it small and simple but very well made and some nice detailing do you have some more pictures/progress.

cheers
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Dad-1 wrote:I do like these small diorama/micro layouts.
I feel that because they're so small the enthusiasm stays at a high level and results in better scenic and artistic presentation.
This is certainly well done and presented.Geoff T.
I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here Geoff. So many of us lust after vast, room-sized layouts which are, for the most part, unattainable. I've seen a number of shelf layouts which are beautifully detailed and must have been highly satisfying to build. And brilliant backdrops for displaying stock also. And within our abilities also, importantly. I'm sorely tempted.....

Tony.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......