Heljan Falcon glazing

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Loconut

Heljan Falcon glazing

Post by Loconut »

Does anyone know if there is a particular recommended method of re-inserting the window glazing on a Falcon?

The one I sold on ebay that had never been out of its box - the glazing fell out as soon as the person took it out of the box apparently (although they decided to mention this 1 week after I sent it to them). Just wondered as I would like to try and help them is possible. Is it a simple case superglue?

Thanks
Loconut
I need more space !
D0260

Re: Heljan Falcon glazing

Post by D0260 »

I wouldn't put superglue anywhere near clear plastic glazing- It crazes.

Personally if its normal moulded clear plastic glazing ( I have a couple of Falcons, but none of the glazing has dropped out) I would use a tiny amount of the brown contact evostik, applied on the end of a straightened out paperclip to both the window and body and allowed to tack.
Take care though, its easy with glazing to completely ruin it in one easy move.
Campaigner

Post by Campaigner »

Slaters MEKPAK is the stuff I've used to install/reinstall glazing, goes without saying you have to take care but it's easy to use and doesn't string.
I'd fit the window with a "push fit" then apply some MEKPAK with a fine brush, the Mekpak will run and follow the glazing.

I've had to do with with 3 or 4 Bachmann Deltics :?
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Never used it myself, but if all else fails, isn't Johnsons Kleer supposed to be good for fixing glazing, amongst other uses.
Pete.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I wouldn't put superglue or solvent like mek pak anywhere near glazing. Too much risk of crazing, blooming, or wash marks. Kleer works, as also clear drying PVA. Just a tiny smear on the frame, and that's it. The further advantage of these being that they make a strong enough but breakable bond, so that if any painting or weathering is to be applied in future, the glazing can be easily removed.
Loconut

Post by Loconut »

Thanks for the advice Guys.

I got a reply from the person who bought it saying they had simply clipped it back in and it seemed to be ok.

Cheers
Loconut
I need more space !
SRman

Post by SRman »

Yes, Heljan's glazing is usually just clipped in and held in place by the large metal chassis block against the insides of the body.

If you really must use a glue, I would really go with D0260's suggestion (in spite of his having the wrong name for Falcon! ;) ). PVA or Krystal Klear (which is very similar to PVA but designed for glazing purposes) will work fine but you may only need a small drop to retain the glazing without "over-glueing" it. Johnsons Kleer is supposed to be very good for this but i have never yet been able to buy the stuff to try it!!