OO Gauge Loco shed

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dougalmac2

Re: OO Gauge Loco shed

Post by dougalmac2 »

Thanks for the link Pete,
I like 8Fs but not in that colour, I suppose its a case of 'its my railway so I'll pant it what I like!'
I'll be in touch.

Mac
Lewis Nash

Post by Lewis Nash »

Hi

Great shed your building there,if I was you I would finish building the one you started and forget bachmanns offering as its much more rewarding to build something good yourself rather than buy something finished.
Ive known about the shed outside Chester for ages,I pass it when I'm on the train commuting from Wales to England.Its a real gem,I hope it doesn't get demolished :cry:

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi Lewis, thanks for your input. I have no intention of buying one, especially at that price. I could say I've only got the roof to do but that appears to be the biggest job. Now I know which shed it is I find its well documented on t'internet.

On the corner of Mold Jct shed, beside the road is an attached building with a chimney. Can anyone confirm if this was the sand dryer? I've been looking for a prototype of one on an LMS shed for a while without any luck as I have a scratch built sand wagon built from a plan in Railway Modeller many years ago.

Mac
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi Guys

Thought I'd better put in an update in case anyone thought I'd not been doing anything with the warm weather and footy.

I made the drainage channels, glued them in place, then made the smoke ducts.

Each smoke duct is 16 pieces of styrene. I hoped I could make then as a clear duct but unfortunately they weren't solid enough so they had to have a base in them.

These pics show the ducts laid in place and also show that the whole roof will lift out to give access to any stalled locos, not that I intend having any hidden in the back.

I've just started playing with the louvre boxes and am deciding on the assembling and painting order.

Mac
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

WOW! That is some first class modelling :D Fantastic work on the shed.
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Very cool and (e)ventfull...sorry. That looks like some great work on the shed and the area around it. One to watch out for definately and a great google street thingy find you've found!
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Mac,

A very well constructed engine shed in the making, it really is starting to look the business, I keep coming back for more photo updates on this project. This engine shed also looks big enough to handle a very large fleet of loco's, keep up this excellent work. :D

MIke.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Spent about an hour this afternoon making a first attempt at a louvre panel, although having made one the next should be quicker -

Took a pic of it between a pair of roads before I cleaned it up to show the size. I'm not optimistic of being able to mould these so I may be setting out on making 48 of them - I may be gone some time.

Mac
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

wow, thats looking ace!! :P

keep up the good work

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
sishades

Post by sishades »

I think that your model looks top notch.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments sishades.

Just in case anyone is interested in how I'm building the louvre units (chorus of boring!!) I'm loading a few pics to show it.

Slight change since I loaded the first pic - I decided they needed to be wider and to include the vertical frame in the middle.

Image Image Image

I start with a piece of 0.5mm styrene, 5mm wider all round than the unit, fit 0.5mm guides round 3 sides and add the bottom, side and middle frames of 1.5mm x 2mm strip. At the moment I'm cutting strip from sheet but I think I'll soon get fed up with that and raid our local model shop who claim to have it in stock. In the third pic you can just see a length of 0.5mm rod in the bottom. This gives me the angle I want on the slats.

Image Image Image

I then start building up alternate 0.5mm x 2.5mm slats (5) and 0.5mm x 1.5mm spacers (4) to fill the frame, then add the top of the frame. All the fixing is done with Mek-Pak as, in this job, it's so easy just to apply with a paint brush. You have to be very careful with something like a wagon kit not to get any on the outside surface as it will melt it and ruin the finish but in this case as these represent concrete and wooden frames which have been out in the elements for years it shouldn't make any difference, especially as it will be weathered. At this point I usually allow half an hour to let everything finish drying then trim off the guides.

That's six done - only another 42 to go - don't hold your breath.

Mac
50035 Ark Royal

Post by 50035 Ark Royal »

The shed does look fantastic.
keep up the good work
cheers
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

dougalmac2 wrote:I suppose its a case of 'its my railway so I'll pant it what I like!'
ooer....dont let Ian (thomastheplankengine) hear that..... :P

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
Splop.

Post by Splop. »

dougalmac2 wrote:Thanks for the link Pete,
I like 8Fs but not in that colour, I suppose its a case of 'its my railway so I'll pant it what I like!'
I'll be in touch.

Mac

Freightliner? :lol:
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Hi Guys

Did I say the wrong thing? Firstly I'm not familiar with Ian, but I'm going to scan his posts to pic up the drift and I don't understand 'Freightliner'. Mind you my railway clock stopped in 1960.

I'm going to take this opertunity to post my latest pic of progress.

Just finished assembling the smoke ducts and louvred vents. Over 1500 bits of plastic and a bottle of MEK in the four ducts. Gaps to be filled, to be painted, stuck in place and glass (styrene really) roof panels to be fitted - oh well - keeps me out of the wifes hair.

All the best,, Mac