hornby percy and toby dying?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
daleks04

hornby percy and toby dying?

Post by daleks04 »

hi,

recently noticed all shops take off listings for hornby percy and toby, even hornby!

whats happening? :?

d04
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...
Phipps

Re: hornby percy and toby dying?

Post by Phipps »

Maybe they're planning on relaunching them as DCC-Fitted only?
Haven't a clue to be honest,but I don't rate the Toby very much-seems too big to me :roll:
son of triangman

Post by son of triangman »

Sadly the Hornby Toby is way overscale, it can be made fairly decent with a lot of butchery though. They would have been better going for a scale sized non-super detail model and just adding a pack of extra detailing for a main range model.

I'm not bashing Hornby, they had a reason at the time for making the model so overscale no doubt.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Hornby's Toby was the reason why I opted for the Bachmann version,which seems nearer to scale,even though it's HO....
It's the only TTTE by Bachmann that I have.
One thing I have noticed recently is that their "Spencer" A4 character seems not to have been re-stocked anywhere(he's Alfie's favourite).
Spoke to Mick at DToS & he's got a rep guy hunting a few down,but not had much luck :?
steviesparx

Post by steviesparx »

Phipps wrote: One thing I have noticed recently is that their "Spencer" A4 character seems not to have been re-stocked anywhere(he's Alfie's favourite).
Spoke to Mick at DToS & he's got a rep guy hunting a few down,but not had much luck :?
This one Phipps ?....

http://www.trainsontime.co.uk/58749-bac ... p-580.html
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

perhaps it's the 'end of the line' for them?? :roll:
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

http://www.trainsontime.co.uk/thomas-fr ... 51_59.html
had some stock at the weekend when I looked, as well as several digitally fitted small locos which could have faces fitted
rocketman
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Blackmarlin, Do you know of any Caley smokebox doors available in Aberdeen for when Douglas and Donald are launched?
rocketman
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

steviesparx wrote:
Phipps wrote: One thing I have noticed recently is that their "Spencer" A4 character seems not to have been re-stocked anywhere(he's Alfie's favourite).
This one Phipps ?....

http://www.trainsontime.co.uk/58749-bac ... p-580.html
No mate,it was the Hornby version they were looking for.Hattons didn't get many in & they went very quickly(I suppose A4s do)....
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

By the way folks,thought I would post this up,which is Alfie's Spencer A4 engine (courtesy of Steviesparx).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zE0VCHHIrY
Runs as smoothly as you'd like & I'm beginning to think it'll be difficult to let go of it once Alfie's old enough to use it himself.
daleks04

Post by daleks04 »

mmmn.............

hornby recently told me percy will be back in stock now, and toby at the end of august, could he have possibly gone for soem work done to him or a re-model?? :D
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

daleks04 wrote:and toby at the end of august, could he have possibly gone for soem work done to him or a re-model?? :D
Lets just hope this time they've got the scale right.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

The Bachmann stuff is not HO
all of it, including the Hornby, is fictional
can we please all absorb this fact?
Even the author used what was available to make his own models (what's new?)
rocketman
D2850

Post by D2850 »

daleks04 wrote:mmmn.............

hornby recently told me percy will be back in stock now, and toby at the end of august, could he have possibly gone for soem work done to him or a re-model?? :D
Probably not. It's most likely that the models of the last batch sold out before the next ones were ready. Model railway items are not (in most cases) produced in enough quantities to have them continually rolling of the manufacturing lines. Rather, they'll produce one large batch of models, even if the item is not officially a 'limited edition', and the models then sold. In the case of items like Toby and Percy, where there will be enough further demand and a lack of an alternative name/number, they will produce further batches, but these still have to made, packaged and distributed, which takes time, during which the stocks of the last lot can run out.

And Rocketman, not everything in the ranges is fictional. Most of the rolling stock for both companies is formed of older models from the main ranges (in Bachmann's case they use old mainline toolings), and several of Hornby's engines (Thomas, Henry, Duck, Oliver, Stepney, D7101, Spencer) are of the right class for the character, using older Hornby toolings.
Not sure what the scale of the Bachmann stuff has to do with anything mentioned - the only reference to scale was I believe the over-scale nature of Hornby's Toby.
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.
poliss

Post by poliss »

According to the HIT Entertainment website it's the 65th birthday of "Thomas & Friends". Hornby may be planning a revamp of the range. It's also possible that Hornby have lost the license as I can't find Hornby mentioned on the Thomas news section of the HIT website. http://www.hitnewsonline.com/releases/d ... _65_years/