Seamer Station (Nr. Scarborough) - OO or N gauge layout???

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
bombadillic

Re: Seamer Station (Nr. Scarborough) - 1940s OO layout

Post by bombadillic »

Hi guys,

Just been served a curve ball. I'm considering rescaling this plan to 'N' gauge. This 16ft layout will just fit in my loft, the edges go right into the alcove so building in these areas could be difficult. With N gauge I would probably have room to properly model Seamer Junction too, adding more interest to the layout.

Feedback and help would be welcome :D

BomBaDillic
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley
bombadillic

Re: Seamer Station (Nr. Scarborough) - 40s OO or N Gauge layout?

Post by bombadillic »

Hello everyone,

As mentionned in my last post I'm consider a change to N gauge so here is a plan. It is 10ft by 8ft and I've manage to create a lot more of Seamer. Most notable is the Seamer Junction on the left hand side - here the line split for Hull, York and Pickering. I've linked all these lines into the fiddle yard (which is also still very simple) :D

Here is the plan.....some of curves might need making more gentle again but this is just to give you an idea.

Let me know what you think, feedback would be very much welcome.

BomBaDillic

ElDavo

Re: Seamer Station (Nr. Scarborough) - 1940s OO layout

Post by ElDavo »

Well N gauge certainly opens up some options. If it were me I would try to put the main station track flows so that they are either on a gentle curve or slightly angled in relationship to the backscene. I think this would make it look more natural and flowing. Is the protoype dead straight through the station?

Cheers
Dave
bombadillic

Re: Seamer Station (Nr. Scarborough) - OO or N gauge layout???

Post by bombadillic »

Hello everyone,

Been working on the plan a little, nothing much has changed, slight alteration to the junction. Mainly been working on making it less "straight" and introduce some more gentle curves.

What do you think?

Thanks

BomBaDillic

bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

On seconds thoughts.....I'm wondering if this is maybe a little too ambitious? I never intended to model Seamer Junction to start with and I don't want to run the risk of taking too much on and then get bored/fustrated with the lack of progess. As Si_Donal said, might end up needing to take out a mortgage to finance it!

I'm working on a reduced plan which I'll post shortly but would be interested in your views :D

Tom

Cjones_LNER

Post by Cjones_LNER »

hi, just want to remind you that you don't have to model Seamer as it is, use those photos you dug up and then go where inspiration takes you, no layout is ever going to be true to life so you might as well re-invent the original Seamer station and then add something like a goods yard or something that will leave Seamer as it was but more unique, if that makes any sense?
- "You can't own property, man!"
- "I can, but thats because I'm not a penniless hippy!
WillW

Post by WillW »

Hi Tom

I have convinced myself to go for N on my return to the model railway world (it is the scale length trains that do for me!) I like the plan alot, the junction in particular would look great, my only comment would be to try and alow a bit more space 'before' the junctions so you can see trains approaching them. What era are you thinking (aplogies if you have said already).

The only thing with N is don't be fooled by the lovely photos it is small! I was shocked when I got my hands on some rolling stock, but love it now.

I am looking at a version of Malton for an N guage loft layout (many months away at the moment) so I will be watching this one with interest. My IT ability means any plans are hand drawn at the moment.

Good luck with it.
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Hello there, thanks for the replies.

I think I've created a plan I'm really happy with. It no longer includes the junction which is a bit of a shame but focuses on the station and I think still maintains plenty of interest/potential.

There are still minor alterations to be made, the size of the fiddle yard boards could probably be reduced a bit and possibly extend the scenic area back a bit as well. The track for the coal staithes will just be scenic as I can't find a way to connect it (not enough space), but this isn't a problem, I'll just some rolling stock sitting there.

This is all still N gauge - WillW, thanks for reminding me how small it can be but like you say, full length trains is the real selling point. I'll be going for LNER/early BR (north eastern) era as the Forge Valley was closed during this period. I would look forward to watching another local station model develop too :D

Thanks for looking and for you comments.

Tom

stevebar

Post by stevebar »

just want to remind you that you don't have to model Seamer as it is
He isn't modelling Seamer as it is. There is virtually nothing to model as Seamer currently stands. :D
Cjones_LNER

Post by Cjones_LNER »

stevebar wrote:
just want to remind you that you don't have to model Seamer as it is
He isn't modelling Seamer as it is. There is virtually nothing to model as Seamer currently stands. :D
no i mean Seamer as it is, if the year was 1930
- "You can't own property, man!"
- "I can, but thats because I'm not a penniless hippy!