Multi level help needed please?

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Northants PC

Multi level help needed please?

Post by Northants PC »

Hello ladies and Gentleman, Im about to embark on a new model railway project however Im not sure where to start? The idea is to have the main track level raised above the actual bottom baseboard.

There will be a road running along the front of the board raising up at the one end to drive under the railway on a upward angel so the road is more or less level with the railway on the back side of the board, as the railway goes into the storage area.

However half way along the board, the road will branch off at a t-junction raise up slighty under the railway then curve round at the back of the board behind the railway, again curve round on itself under the railway again then up again level with the railway on the front side of the board.

From the track level there will be a senic slope running down from the track level down to the road, at main baseboard level.

I need to contruct the main track level first then work downwards I think, but this level will depend on how high it needs to be for the three bridges I will have all at different levels!.

Any ideas how I can work this one out? I hope the explanation is understandable?

Thanks.

Northants PC.
Sprintex

Re: Multi level help needed please?

Post by Sprintex »

Hi mate and welcome in :)

If you look at THIS PAGE of my layout thread it shows two ways to go about it:-

1) Cutting out sections of the main baseboard and raising it on blocks - only really useful if you're not planning to model underneath it. (as you can see on the mainline in my thread)

2) Cutting seperate sections out of spare board and raising these on blocks, leaves the board intact underneath for modelling underpasses, roads, etc. (as you can see on the raised branchline in the thread)

Also bear in mind if using the second method that access might still be needed from underneath for point motors and wiring :wink:

Paul
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Hello and welcome Northants PC,

Another approach is T-Girder construction. This is like an open frame, to which you add risers for your trackbed. This link shows you how I did it on my layout (scroll halfway down the page). www.brian-lambert.co.uk explains in more detail.

Mark
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

I agree, an open frame construction will make this easier
Otherwise you are looking at a flat baseboard raised up as required
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
Northants PC

Post by Northants PC »

Evening all,

Thanks gentleman those links provide a very sound base for me to work up from, however I not sure my woodworking 'skills' are up the mark for open frame contruction. My perfered option was a solid baseboard with the different levels built up, but like MR SPRINTEX mentioned I will need access from below for the point motors and uncoupler ramps not to mention the DCC bus wire and droppers, although these will be fitted it before the senic is added.

Maybe a solid frame but under the actual senic/raised track level I could cut out the underside of the baseboard for access? I would like to intergrate my control station into the underside in this void. Oh I forgot to mention for storage reasons I will have to split the boards into sections, not ideal or my favored option but its the only option sadly. Providing I get the basic boards inline etc should there be any problems ensuring the different levels line up ?

Thanks Gents.

Northants PC.
Loconut

Post by Loconut »

Hi there

Just one question re raised sections - whether by L Girder or raised section from flat board - how do you ensure that the raised board does not warp? I looked at the links given as examples in earlier posts on this thread and the the example with the raised section on blocks looks like plywood sitting on blocks. Would this not need bracing? Or is it because it is secured to the blocks - is this sufficient bracing? I always thought you needed strong bracing on any and all levels, which could get very tricky indeed on a multi level plan.

Apologies if I appear to be hijacking this thread as I am not. I am just curious and hopefully it is a relevant question :?

Thanks

Loconut
I need more space !
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

Loconut wrote:Just one question
re raised sections - whether by L Girder or raised section from flat board
how do you ensure that the raised board does not warp?
Several solutions

Place the supports at regular intervals, not exceeding 12"

If there are long unsupported sections, place a support beam under the centre of the baseboard
This will increase the rigidity along the length of the support beam
However this may be visible where there are open sections for viewing so you need to be careful how deep the support beam is
The support beam need only be about 15mm x 25mm, with the thin edged fitted directly underneath
If you have ever built large items of Ikea furniture you will know they use this technique!
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC