Welsh borders steam - my new start

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TomWebber

Welsh borders steam - my new start

Post by TomWebber »

Hey all, have been a bit quiet on here recently due to uni, so thouht it was time for an update on the layout front. Some may remember my previous layout 'Machynlleth', but i took the decision to start all over again on a new layout, as the track plan was a bit awkward, and the inclines weren't really working at all:(
The new layout is designed around a main line station - possibly the welsh marches line? so plenty of chance for Western and midland desgins to mix? - that also is the starting point of a small branch line, am going for something a bit different here.... :)

Inspiration is drawn from the welsh marches main line and the numerous branch lines that ran off from it such as the Kington line. Locos will hopefully be Western, Midland and standard ones...

Heres a track diagram - only a quick one on paint im afraid, will get the drawing board and rotrings out sometime for a decent one....

The grey areas are the scenic bits, and white are hidden. The main station is at the top - a through station for the main line. The grey are on the right hand side is the other end of the branch line - where there will be a small station, goods yard and engine shed.
The design is basically to allow me to watch trains go by on the main line, whilst doing some shunting on the branch line - the best of both worlds!

Took a few pics of progress so far - most track is laid, and wired up so can start on the scenery soon...

An overall view of the layout

The station area - the station building will be where the blue pen is, the goods sidings are on the left hand side, and branch line trains run into the sidings on the right

The opposite side where there will be some storage loops

The station

There will be a tunnel and a bridge over a river at this point on the branch line

The branch terminus

Next step is to sort some point control - am thinking of the 'mercontrol' way, any comments on this would be much appreciated.....

If you've managed to read this far without getting bored then thankyou very much!

-Kind regards
Tom
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi Tom,

Nice progress the track work is very neat, Perfect size layout by the looks of it :wink:
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

aw poor 89c :(

but this looks promising :) may i ask which locos you'll be using (hopefully you'll be retaining you manor class! :D)

good luck!

-Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
TomWebber

Post by TomWebber »

Thanks for the comments Lee and Jeremy....will certainly be keeping the Manor!!! :)

Heres a few pics of progress so far. Have added platforms and tunnel mouths, and had a fiddle with placing buildings. Comments and criticisms welcomed!

The Main station

Am not sure on the station building, may just be a temporary job!

The station front, where the road will come from the tunnel

The Branch line station which still needs platforms

The river bridge and tunnel on the branch

The goods Shed in the main station

The pannier leaves with the branch service

Cadbury Castle stops at the station

The prairie running round the branch service

And ready to leave

Pannier tank crossing the river bridge

And arriving at the main station

A busy branch line terminus!

An overall of the main part of the layout

Had the first proper 'play' with the layout today and am quite happy with the design, just need to get some scenery down now :D
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Looks great, and I love the story book approach he he! Now we just need a "Thomas and the Big Boulder" scenario and we're off!
TomWebber

Post by TomWebber »

Zanziba wrote:Looks great, and I love the story book approach he he! Now we just need a "Thomas and the Big Boulder" scenario and we're off!
:lol: Didnt do it intentionally like that, but reading it now i have to agree! :)
British Rail

Post by British Rail »

A nice start there Tom, looking forward to seeing this one progress 8)

All the best!

Rhys
redline41190

Re: Welsh borders steam - my new start

Post by redline41190 »

wow i almost completely forgot about this one!

looks good tom, dont see the manor though... :lol: and when did ya get all the new arrivals, I dont recall seeing the Castle on Machynlleth.. still looks great though :), much better than mine, as ive become a SR convert :( :lol: but I now have my Hall class which I love greatly!

hope you progress more soon!

cheers
-Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi Tom!

Blimey fella, that looks splendid! Now all you need to do is get going with that scenery and bring it all to life :) Gotta say, I think I prefer the new layout to the old one in that there seems just that little more room for sidings, etc, plus you still have the higher-level section with the branchline which I like too :D

Cheers fella

Tim

Cheers fella
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
weeder

Post by weeder »

very very nice trackplan and whatnot, are you going to join the mainline to the branch in any way?
Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

been using the layout lately? any recent pictures?
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

wow nice layout! Quite good if i say so myself. I've still got a lot to do on mine!
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15