BomBaDillic's new 00 layout - Lodge Valley

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
m.levin

Re: BomBaDillic's new 00 layout - Lodge Valley

Post by m.levin »

Nice update :?
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Evening!

Yes, I’ve spent another night in the loft so thought I would post a few photographs of my progress. Here we go……

Starting to create the landscape for my village, very messy job but it’ll be worth it in the end.

Cut out some polystyrene shapes to create the slopes leading down to the tunnel entrance, again a very messy job, it looked like it was snowing!

B1 ‘Springbok’ emerges from the tunnel again to see the new hill taking shape.

A television rental van passes the local Church en route to the pub most likely

From a distance…tonight’s progress.

Well, that’s it for tonight, I was hoping for some items to come in the post today but the post lady has failed me… fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Good night and happy modelling. :D

BomBaDillic
Last edited by bombadillic on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley
sheep21

Post by sheep21 »

nicely done,I do like the cutting very much
sammy2716

Post by sammy2716 »

Hello

I really like the look of your layout, its simple but yet interesting. I think you have been wise following Mumbles' advice on the incline, it was pretty much pointless and your layout will be so much easier (yet still effective) to construct without it...I see you have made good progress since backtracking on your original plans.

I'm new here and just trying to get some ideas for my new layout. I think yours is a good project to watch and monitor - I’ll definitely be stopping by quite often to see your progress.

I hope your post lady hasn't failed you again, I’m eager for more updates! :D

Cheers
Sammy
Graymee

Post by Graymee »

Just finished posting a couple of trackplans on my thread, thought i'd stop by and see how things are fairing over at Lodge Valley. Looking good fella, the cutting is really impressive, should look great once it's scattered.
I like the elevated church too, the low angle shot looking back down the cutting makes it look very impressive.
Really glad that you decided to ditch the incline BTW, I can forget it now too without wondering "what if?" and "if he can do it, so can I?" :lol:

I'm also intrigued as to what your postie is bringing so looking forward to next update.

Good stuff.

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Graymee wrote:Just finished posting a couple of trackplans on my thread, thought i'd stop by and see how things are fairing over at Lodge Valley. Looking good fella, the cutting is really impressive, should look great once it's scattered.
I like the elevated church too, the low angle shot looking back down the cutting makes it look very impressive.
Really glad that you decided to ditch the incline BTW, I can forget it now too without wondering "what if?" and "if he can do it, so can I?" :lol:

I'm also intrigued as to what your postie is bringing so looking forward to next update.

Good stuff.

Cheers

Graeme
Well, I'm glad we've got the whole incline issue resolved Graymee :wink: I think the tunnel alone creates a good enough scenic break so I'm still happy. Like Sammy2716 said, at least it'll take less to build!

No other updates today I'm afriad, I need to get to our main post office in town to pick up my item (I wouldn't get too excited though). I'll have some more landspacing done for the next update too :D

BomBaDillic

bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Evening! :wink:

It’s been a productive weekend in Lodge Valley, done a lot of landscaping and shaping as well as slightly altering the plan. I won’t ramble on so here are the photographs!!!

Finished the banking off with a polystyrene massacre :twisted:

The hill up t’ pub :shock:

A look back at the near completed banking

Did some painting on top of the hill to get an idea for future scenery, also painted inside the tunnel black.

Getting chicken wire in place to create more banking, there was also a small earthquake :shock:

The banking completed with some paper mache, much tidier than polystyrene!

And a look from the left

Paper mache on the first bit of banking

A look down to the tunnel

And a close up…

Lodge Valley Parish church stands proudly on the hill with my most recent purchase a Rolls Royce wedding car. One problem, no roads yet so can’t pick up the Bride. :roll:

A birds eyes view of the revised track plan. I’ve increased the capacity of the sidings so I can store more running stock. Also shows off some of the new banking.

And that’s it for the weekend! I’m hoping to get a few a more bits and bobs done over the week with more to come over the weekend. I’m expecting Skaledale road over bridge to be delivered this week too which means I can complete landscaping and move on! :D

Goodnight,

BomBaDillic
Last edited by bombadillic on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ste234

Post by ste234 »

Hi,
Looks good so far, the paper mache landscape looks good. :)
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout
sammy2716

Post by sammy2716 »

Hello again!

You have made excellent progress over the weekend, putting me to shame! Your landscape is starting to take affect and is looking very good. I really like the tunnel entrance with the slopes on either side. I was worried that they may have been too steep; however I think they are perfect! :D

You church looks as proud as you rightly said, the green gives a very enthusiastic look into the future, and helps us to imagine the finished Lodge Valley! I am excited to see how the rest of your landscape looks in colour!

I am eager to start my railway too, however I think I am going to wait a little longer, and perfect my plan before I start. It is very frustrating when I see a model going so well, however if mine is going to be anywhere near as good, I shouldn't rush :?

Anyway, I’ll be off now...I’m looking forward to what next Monday will bring after a long hard weekend in the loft!

Keep up the good work :wink:

Sammy

Ps, your Rolls Royce was definitely worth the wait!
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Thanks for the comments Sammy,

Once you get your layout going you'll have to post it on here :) You can perfect a plan as much as you like, but you'll probably want to change it sooner or later :twisted:

I'll keep you all updated with progress, expecting a new bridge to arrive any day! :P

Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

That cutting looks like it's gonna be pretty spectacular! Very fast progress you're making :)

Ade

P.S. Sammy, why are you writing in red? In the UK at least it's used for threatening letters and final demands only, and on forums it's often reserved for moderators when they want to tell someone off... so rather the opposite of the sentiments you're expressing. Maybe it's just me, but I see red writing and immediately think eeeeeek :lol:
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Dead Man's Handle wrote: P.S. Sammy, why are you writing in red? In the UK at least it's used for threatening letters and final demands only, and on forums it's often reserved for moderators when they want to tell someone off... so rather the opposite of the sentiments you're expressing. Maybe it's just me, but I see red writing and immediately think eeeeeek :lol:
Hey, as long as he says good things he can write in any colour he wants :lol:

And maybe he justs wants to stand out.... :wink:

Thanks for the comments Ade :)

BomBaDillic

Graymee

Post by Graymee »

Aaahh, monsiuer, wis zees pishures you aar really spoiling urs!

Man u are making me jealous! :mrgreen:

I really like what you are doing here, and i may have to call my layout "Lodge Valley II" :D Only joking, but seriously, you are giving me some great ideas.

It's all moving on very quickly too, (at least compared to mine :lol: ) must be very satisfying as you finish each stage. Paper mache is a bit scary I've seen some done elswhere that looked so unrealistic when finished and scattered. Looking at your cutting though, i think you've done a fantastic job, looking forward to seeing it finished. Did you see the post on Barks N guage thread where he made rocks for his cutting from polystyrene and a soldering iron?

Right, "keep 'em coming old chap, at this rate we'll have the boche running for cover by dawn!" :lol: :lol: :roll:

BTW Like the roller...

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread
aussiedamo

Post by aussiedamo »

g'day mate!
i am realy enjoying the construction and progres of your layout.
it's great detail that your pics show.....keep up the progres reports mate i cant wait till the next one. :wink:

chees mate
damian
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Graymee wrote:It's all moving on very quickly too, (at least compared to mine :lol: ) must be very satisfying as you finish each stage. Paper mache is a bit scary I've seen some done elswhere that looked so unrealistic when finished and scattered.
Haha, Graymee, we speak again!*que evil music*

You're right, is it very satisfying when you get another stage started/completed. I can finally see the overall shape of the layout coming together and can wait to start with the scenery.

I'll try not to make my paper mache too scary for you :twisted: Hopefully it won't look like a paper maches blob when I finish :P

Expecting my bridge to be delivered on Saturday so there will be more updates over the weekend :)

Thanks for your comments too aussiedamo!

BomBaDillic