Articles which have been added to the main site
Metrocamel

NRM Review - Hornby Class 50

Post by Metrocamel »

Hornby Class 50
NSE 50045 Achilles ready for working.

Name- Class 50 Locomotive.

Manufacturer- Hornby.

Liveries produced- NSE, BR blue, BR Large Logo, various names, numbers and finishes for some models.

Class History- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_50

Notes- This model is available in both Weathered and Un Weathered finishes for some liveries.

Available from- Most stockists.

Upgrading the model- Expressmodels for lighting http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/

The Hornby Class 50 is built to the same standard as it's other superdetailled models. Fine details include air pipes and ladders with sprung buffers, fine grilles and cab detail fitted. An interesting feature is the roof ran which sits behind a see through mesh and turns as the loco moves. This is a feature it shares with the same manufacturer's Class 31.

When running the Class 50 performs well. It takes to slow speeds well and due to a heavy weight will have good pulling power.
I have tested neither this or it's top speed but even at a third power it seems quite fast!
While heavy weight will mean good power, control and make the Loco less likely to derail it could bring some problems. Gradients would present a challenge to this loco and with a seemingly high top speed it should not be run on small radius curves.
Standard practice anyway maybe but if the beast were ever to leave the rails it would utterly demolish any scenery, trains or fingers in it's way!

That's not to say it has to be run fast. My example being in NSE Livery it's intended for passenger services. BR fans might run theirs on frieght duty or both. The lights are well done. A single white headlight at either end and yellow lit headcode boxes. Tail lights also nice and bright.
The fan is nice but not essential.
NEM couplings are included with this Loco. NEM sockets and slot into small slits above the bogies. Livery is well applied and weathered on this example. there was some dispute as to the grey on the NSE version which seems to have been resolved as a "revised" version is available. Mine being ex running stock bought cheap it's hard to say. I think it is also DCC ready although this is not stated on the box of my loco.

This Loco has tarction tyres. It doesn't seem to need them but they don't do any bad for it's performance. Other examples I am told do not have them fitted. Mine miight have seen alteration at some point or be a first run off. The first is more likely I think. Drive to all wheels and heavy weight should have been enough. Maybe Hornby weren't confident enough in this beast? If they weren't I am and I'd reccomend it to any modeller looking for some heavy duty power for their Layout!

Rating- 10/10
Good points- Powerful, fast, detailled, variety of liveries, names and finishes. Directional lighting, roof fan.

Bad points- None of note.
Last edited by Metrocamel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

great review, seconded
i have a class 50 Agincourt
i'm sure it doesn't have traction tyres though?
but it is an excellent loco,
michael
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Mine was ex running stock. Maybe they fitetd traction tyres? Do they just fit over the wheels?
I've stated that in the review with an edit, don't know whetehr to leave them on or remove them. Depends if the pickups give me any trouble.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
rmg1919

Re: Review- Hornby Class 50

Post by rmg1919 »

Good review, and good loco by the sound of it!

But, on the subject of the fan:
Metrocamel wrote:An interesting feature is the roof ran which sits behind a see through mesh and turns as the loco moves. This is a feature it shares with the same manufacturer's Class 31.
Does the fan move as a result of some mechanism joining the motor with the fan; or does the fan have its own little motor? Just curious - hope that's clear - it probably isn't - but just want to know whether at a crawl the fan spins round quite fast, or whether it too 'crawls' around? if you see what i mean... argh...
:?
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

The fan moves in relation to teh Loco's speed, not sure if it ahs it's own motor. It will not turn at a stop and will turn slowly at low speed but even at a relatively slow speed it will speed up to a realistic speed.

I also noticed the Loco has NEM sockets, they were attatched to the couplings!!!! I've changed this in the review.
Layout updated 18/10/09!
peak

Post by peak »

I have one of these in BR blue pre-tops.
The fan is driven by a belt connected to the motor.
No traction tyres.
Mine has a Bachmann 3 function decoder fitted and it runs very smoothly and has no problem pulling a nine coach train of bachmann Mk 1s up my 1:30 inclines
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk
ants

Post by ants »

Hiya

I have 2 Hornby 50's the NSE 50002 and the green Sir Edward ELGAR. It is a great loco but has one fault, when running it over the club layout with a rake of POA/SSA scrap wagons the coupling on the 50 can lock out and chuck the wagons of the rails....... When looking at the coupling it almost locks out.. Does anyone else have this problem.

It can happen over 1 point or multiple points
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

My Class 60 has a similar problem. The couplings aren't attacthe dto teh bogies but pivot on the body usinga spring. Sometimes on points it threw the wagons off. Not sure how to stop this but it was one of the reasons I started a new Layout with long points. What points were you using?
Also does it just happen in reverse when the Loco is pushing it's wagons? Mine did.

Found out why my Loco has traction tyres. Seems they were fitted to the first run off as Hornby mustn't have been convinced the 50 would do the job. How wrong they were.
Layout updated 18/10/09!
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

i had trouble with the coupling on my class 50 when pulling some hornby hea wagons, the solution was to remove the hook from the wagon
michael
Les

Post by Les »

I have had this de railing problem too. The best way to stop it is to remove the coupling from the first piece of rolling stock and run with only the engines coupling. This has cured my problem in forward motion. as for reversing you'll need to keep the speed down when on the points or turning or the couplings will ride over each other at the first sign of any pressure. Steady as she goes. A little weight in the wagons helps too.

My DCC Class 50 Agincourt is excellent in detail and controlability. Money well spent.
ants

Post by ants »

Hiya

Thanks i will try that

We have a mixture of points at the club it can be over any type of point. :cry:

Yes it also kicks the wagons of in reverse.
bobby55016

Re: NRM Review - Hornby Class 50

Post by bobby55016 »

Metrocamel wrote: Upgrading the model- Expressmodels for lighting http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/
why would anybody want to do that? the lights are fine. no need to replace them
Metrocamel wrote: NEM couplings are included with this Loco.
to the best of my knowledge they're not. what these locos do have are nem sockets
Metrocamel wrote: think it is also DCC ready although this is not stated on the box of my loco.
yes they are all dcc ready. however the first batch (50045, 50035, 50018 and the red nameplate version of 50007) all had defective pcb boards and they didn't work with chips fitted. hornby did provide free replacment pcb boards a few years ago
Metrocamel wrote:Bad points- None of note.
errr hmmmm!
50031 crests are wrong
50027 one bodyside window too many!
50018 nameplates in wrong position
50020 roof wrong shade of gray
50002 blue wrong shade
50045 blue wrong shade
50004 numbers too high?
Bobby Hill
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

People here aren't rivet counters though. It looks right, doesn't it?