NRM Review - Bachmann Seacow/Sealion

Post by Metrocamel »

Bachmann Seacow/Sealion
will get better pic later

Name- Sealion/Seacow

Manufacturer- Bachmann

Liveries available- EWS, Engineer's Dutch, Olive Green

Rivals- Hornby Seacow/Sealion, Lima Sealion

The Seacow has to be my favourite prototype wagon, even if I'd never heard of it until Hornby released their model of it.
This Bachmann example is of a rivetted body Seacow, as opposed to Hornby's welded version. Both are seen in reality but the rivetted version is apparently more numerous.

It's nicely weighted, seems heavier than Hornby's model, even though I've only held that in a box.
The detailling is great with mesh over the end platforms and on the flooring. The mesh canopies are full width unlike the smaller ones on Hornby's model, although both are correct.
Handrails are well made and strong in metal as are the end wheels. My mdoel however had one of these missing, possibly from being in a display.

It runs smoother than any other wagon I have, great behind a Class 60! It has no sprung buffers like Hornby's does but they are well made and painted black.
Separate brake wheels and ladders are provided and look to be as well done as the wagon.

Overall another great Bachmann wagon!

Rating- 10/10.
Good points- Detail, running.
Bad points- None.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

Great review. Nicely compared to Hornbys model. I will add it to the bachmann wagon section which is badly in need of some reviews.

Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

Yes that's great and like you,I really like them although of the earlier livery.
Thanks as I'm not too sure, Hornby or Bachmann, but you may have help me make up my mind.

Cheers

Jerry
I know Nothing!