5690's Model Railway - Atkinston

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
santene

Post by santene »

if your still looking for ballast try this its how i did it http://www.camelotjunction.co.uk/ . have a look at the website its amazing
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy
Andrew Clarkson

Post by Andrew Clarkson »

5690 wrote:Thanks guys! I'm having a bit of trouble with ballasting, and have looked at the tips on the home page of this site but still find it hard, does anybody have any pointers?
Ballasting is tedious, but if done right, is effective, and a major part of the scenery!

Just use a small brush, like a kiddies paintbrush, nothing expensive, and literally brush the ballast into place. Then, it's a simple matter of dropping PVA & H2O mixed with a tad washing up liquid into the ballast. I found that if you repeatedly drop a LOT of glue between the rails, it tends to seep out to the shoulders of the ballast, so you can just keep it between the rails in most places.

BIG tips - make sure your track is properly pinned AND that smaller items of rollng stock, such as vans or coal wagons for instance, are tested on every bend and points, in all directions, don't rely on a large Co-Co to test your layout.
Lewis Nash

Post by Lewis Nash »

exelent layout,well done! :)
looks great! :D
cant wait to see it finished.It is a good track plan for a small baseboard.
can i ask what buildings are you going to use as i read that it will be based in a town like oldham and i would like to say metcalfe produce a good range of factory buildings to make a mill scene and other factorys,they are great for running sidings through. :wink: :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Re: 5690's Model Railway - Atkinston

Post by 5690 »

Updates on the layout guys, BIG changes:

The original layout on my Fotopic has now been ripped up, it got hugely tedious just around and around and around and a... You get the picture. All track was salvaged, and I now have boards layed around much of my room for a round-the-wall end-to-end layout. I'm getting rid of the present Black 5 and MK1s, as I am going to basing the layout in LMS days. Ordered 6210 Lady Patricia off eBay and will be having her resprayed into LMS Crimson Lake. Going to get my hands on LMS Jubilee number 5690 Leander as well. The layout currently consists of a station area and a large yard, it will only be single track unless I can work something out for running end to end double track, as it will be quite pointless when I can only work on controlling one train at once, and I run DC, so if I have two trains going, as in two people operating, the run around takes place, and the loco has to go onto the other train's track, which could cause problems. So it'll be single track, single station/yard to single station with viewing area (like Rawtenstall on the East Lancashire Railway). It will be made to look larger than it is with the advent of the scenery I am planning, and I hope to give it some ex-Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway architecture as they are my favourite Pre-Grouping company, and a constituent of the LMS. The only loco I am going to have other than LMS locos is my Flying Scotsman, a loco I truly love.
Watch this space for photographs.
P.S, Andrew Clarkson, are you the guy who owns Titanic-Titanic?
Andrew Clarkson

5690 wrote: P.S, Andrew Clarkson, are you the guy who owns Titanic-Titanic?
Guilty as charged!

Post by 5690 »

Andrew Clarkson wrote:
Guilty as charged!
Ah! Nice to see a friendly face here! I'm abyss on Titanic-Titanic. Thanks for the comments!
Andrew Clarkson

5690 wrote:
Andrew Clarkson wrote:
Guilty as charged!
Ah! Nice to see a friendly face here! I'm abyss on Titanic-Titanic. Thanks for the comments!

LOL - fancy seeing you here - you and me share ace taste!