Industrial minimum space loop

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Mountain

Re: Industrial minimum space loop

Post by Mountain »

The base for the levers is made from aluminium U channel. ( Π shape). The pivots for the levers are nails. The levers are offcuts of rails from track that has been flattened and drilled in the right places. I used springs and washers in between the levers at the pivotal point. Paper clips are opened out and formed to hook round the bottom of the lever and the other end of the paperclip is attached to the fishing line. I did make these adjusters with three holes but I had to make new ones with five holes to get them to work with fishing line. They are made from plasticard. (See photo).
As my points are homemade and have live frogs, I have bought little micro switches to switch the frog polarity. You won't need this for standard Hornby points. Also just visible are little pieces of metal the hold the levers in position when the lever is pulled. The levers can flex sideways due to the spring on the pivot, and so they can easily be tucked u der these metal retainers which are made from paper clips. I will try to add a photo that shows these holders. They are not easy to see on the pictures I have.

Just to add. The little wheels I have made from resin. I have been enjoying casting my own resin parts. :)
Attachments
IMG_20171111_125741.jpg
IMG_20171118_165555.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I would be more inclined to use the loop onto a drawing pin (Or a nail etc) method as it is far easier to make. You will need to get some springs to return the points to the other position. Is possible to use elastic bands instead, but springs will last longer.

There are other methods of point control like using old bicycle spokes or wooden dowels etc.
Chops

Post by Chops »

One of the more remarkable minimum space track plans I've seen to date. Hope to see more of this.
Nessie rocks!
Hymirl

Post by Hymirl »

Chops wrote:One of the more remarkable minimum space track plans I've seen to date. Hope to see more of this.
Progress is embarrassingly stalled pretty badly. As work has rather crimped my modelling time, the higher level line is mostly constructed but point rodding requires time to learn I don't have. :(

On the upside, I have enough track to run trains and have been cleaning and servicing my locos I bought as a teenager in the 90s and didn't look after well enough! Most were second hand, some dating to mid 70s as funds were tight back in the day! Its been most pleasant watching them rumble around and the electric smell of Triang in the air! :D

I'll try to make some updates. News years resolutions and so on!
Chops

Post by Chops »

I shall be waiting with bait breath, or bated breath, one or the other. I have your thread on my automatic posting! This is good stuff!
Nessie rocks!