Cobby's 1st Layout - The story so far...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Cobby

Cobby's 1st Layout - The story so far...

Post by Cobby »

Hi Guys, finally I am creating a thread for my layout progress...

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your help , inspiration and constructive comments on various threads I have posted, it is much appreciated.

Secondly, for those I havnt spoken with or havnt seen my other threads, My name is Paul and i am building a 00 scale layout. Although I have had experience with layouts before as a young teenager these have been nothing more than a loop of flexitrak on some board and never lasted for more than a few weeks!

Anyway, this layout is
A: For me to have a little project as i enjoy constructing things, electronics and now am a kean modeller!
B: When its finished it is for my 3 kids (6, 9 & 12) (actually there are 4 kids but the new one is only 6 months old so she has no interest in trains yet accept for trying to eat them!) to use so although i am trying to create a nice looking and realistic layout, bare in mind im not going mad on "The little things" :o)

My design was really based on what i have seen before, namley a layout fixed to the wall that folds up out the way when not in use, i decided this was the best option as we are extremely limited on space. However i didnt want an unsightly board stuck on the wall or a flat layout, niether did i want boxs full of scenery and buildings that would need setting up everytime it was in use. So i came up with this idea...

A Fold away board idea with a shelf attached to the wall and the main layout board attached to the shelf...

I have 2 large hook and eyes holding the board upright and 2 removable legs that are simply slotted in when folding down the layout...

This gives me height to my layout for topography and scenery/buildings...

This really turned out to be my best decission as the construction is very solid, i have painted it the same as the walls so it blends in nicley, it doent pretrude to far from the wall, 25cm to be exact so does not get in the way at all and most importantly... It works! Although at the moment i am removing the back/bottom board to get to the underside of the baseboard to finish all my wiring, point motors and lights etc. Once this is complete i shouldnt have to access this anymore.

Since starting this layout i have however decided to alter the track plan slightly, the picture below shows the actual layout but originally the track on the far left of the layout terminated, i have now made this an ncline that curves round onto the shelf part of the layout and then onto a long suspension bridge which goes all the way to the right hand side of the layout and terminates at the end of the bridge, this would be an expansion point in the future maybe???

So theres the layout and how its built, there are more details however in my thread in Baseboard Construction http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=5632

Updates, although i rocketed ahead to ebgin with i have now slowed down a bit as i dont want to rush things and mess anything up, that and the fact that the wife keeps moaning that i was spending to much time playing trains, i tried explaining that i wasnt actually "Playing with trains" that i was "Modelling" and it is a good bonding experience for me and the kids, at this point she said i was full of **** and why had i sent the kids upstairs out the way if i was bonding!!!

Anyway i digress, i will post updates on what i am doing, the pictures above do show the current state as i had no other pictures before but i will add some before and after pics of certain sections of the layout and some other bits and pieces i have been doing. Thanks for look, please check back to see how i am getting on and feel free to make any sugestions or correct me if you can see im heading in the wrong direction. Thanks guys.

Paul
Last edited by Cobby on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi Paul

Good little summary and good to see some good pix of the layout. Certainly come a long way since you started!
i have now made this an incline that curves round onto the shelf part of the layout and then onto a long suspension bridge which goes all the way to the right hand side of the layout and terminates at the end of the bridge, this would be an expansion point in the future maybe???
That's the spirit, always think bigger and better :wink:

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

Thanks guys, i have some more bits to post later today, Hpotos are not great quality as i am using phone and they are taken at night, will replace these later probably.

"Bigger & Better!" Yes, it was not the original intension however the bridge/track now terminates only a foot from the back door/wall so if a whole were to appear i see no reason why the track couldnt extend out and around the garden!
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Nice. Those prcs are surprisingly good if you've taken them with a phone.
Is the Backscene the Peco ones?
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

i see no reason why the track couldnt extend out and around the garden!
That's the way forward, son! Don't let yer trouble an' strife stop you! You can't get in the way of progress now, can you? :wink:

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

One step at a time my friends!
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

Yes, the backscenes are the peco ones, i have 3 of them, 1 main one in the middle and the extension either side, some of the buildings obviously duplicate but there is/will be a big bridge in the way to distort this. Unfortunatly though the scenes were obviously printed at different times so the colours are fainter/darker where they join which is a bit of a pain.
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

My Control Unit:

As i am kean on electronics i decided to build a controller that does
everything and is easy for my kids to understand and use. I wanted to incorperate point switchs and an indication of how the points were set, i.e they can see where the trains will go.

Also, i want lots of lights on the layout and am trying to get some electrcaly operated buildings and other scenery. So far i have a windmill and a customised level cross, you can see more on this in my thread: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... highlight=

My Level Crossing (I need to build up the road to eleminate the step and my attept at making it look "roady" isnt very good, suggestions please!):

My Windmill (Not in it's final resting place, but you get the idea):

So, back to the controller!

The controller (i intend to insert a twin panalmount controller on the right):

I made a simple track diagram and stuck it to a metal enclosure, i then drilled holes and placed green LEDs where the points are, these LEDs are then linked to switch that ilimnates 1 of the 2 LEDs indicating what track/direction the train will use. This switch also controls the point motor but has an inline push switch.

Oh, almost forgot, as its a fold away layout i wanted the controller to be removable, BUT with tons of lights, point motors ans electrical accessories, i needed a plug and socket that had as many connections as possible. I looked and looked and couldnt find anything with more than 10-12 wires.

Then it accoured to me that a SCART cable has 21! So i used a £3 scart extender/doubler which i buthered and ended up with a scart plug with 21 bare end wires which i hookd up to all my switchs and things on the controller and then i took the scart socket and soldered the wires from the points, lights and accessories to the coresponding wires (multimeter essential!!)

Scart plug and socket embedded into baseboard side (Need to clean paint off socket!):
ImageImage

Still have some wiring to do but i am getting there, any questions please ask but as i got most of the knowedge and techniques from NRM you probably all know the inner workings!

So to summerise, I built this for 3 reasons, 1: To see if i could, 2: Because it is the simplist way i could think of for the kids to control the layout and 3: Because it looks cool and everyone loves buttons and LEDs!

Paul
Last edited by Cobby on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

New i would forget somthing, as you can see i have left room to fit the gaugemaster panal mount twin controller where the big brick style one sits at the moment, also i have a few more switchs to lable and there is ample room to add more switchs if i run out, although all wires are used on scart cable!
joish

Post by joish »

I love your road crossing, i might copy the idea :P
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

Thanks joish, i thought it was looking good as i planned and made it, but when i looked at photos i wasnt sure! As im not "rivet counting" and it doesnt look too plain im happy with it.

Havnt done much last few weeks, got more buildings, farm stuff, fencing and tons of scatter to glue down, lacking motivation and when i am in the mood, somthing else needs doing! Hopfully will get some stuff done tonight, want to get lanscaping finished as that is what stands out at the moment, lots of bare plaster everywhere!

Paul
joish

Post by joish »

make sure you keep the pictures posted, i'll be waiting for an update :wink: lol
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi Cobby

Glad to see someone else had this scart idea. Even more glad to see someone has tried it out already :wink:

As mine is outside, I need an efficient way to connect and disconnect several wires quickly (rain, etc!!!) and efficiently.

Cheers mate, great stuff!

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

Cheers, i thought was best, easiest and cheapest idea. As im an IT Professional my first thought was an IDE cable, the type you use to connect CD/DVD & Hard Drives to the Mainboard in your PC. these have 39 pins!!

All you need is a IDE extension cable which will give you both the male and female (plug and socket) ends. It is a nice positive connection and very slimline, simply cut the cable in half and then wire switchs and stuff to one lot of bare ends then the lights and stuff to the others.

I would have done this but i didnt have this cable and im an impatient git! As i have already used all my wires (Well, 2 spare pairs) im sure this will come back to haunt me!

Paul
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

Well, didnt achieve anything on layout after all this evening, however i did finish painting my 1:1 scale hall/stairway, im no perfectionist but my wife should be pleased!

lol, Paul
Last edited by Cobby on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.