NRM Reviews - Engine Reviews

Articles which have been added to the main site
PeterH

NRM Reviews - Engine Reviews

Post by PeterH »

Right, now it's in the right place lets get started... Make reviews of some of your locos and post them here. Photos would be nice aswell

UPLOADED TO MAIN WEBSITE
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

No.3046 'Lord of the Isles' Achilles 4-2-2 (Tri-ang)

I brought this loco from a toyfair in Watford for £50 on the 22nd April.

It is a very nippy locomotive but a bit light on the front end causing the bogies to de-rail at any major swerves/detours in the track.

Although of its speed, the pulling power of the locomotive is very poor, this is due to it only being driven by one axle, this in turn also means that the engine (at slow speeds) stops on a points frogs as no power is getting to the motor.

Mine had a built in smoke generator (which was a bit of a shock when I saw smoke pouring out of the funnel) which I need to get more oil for, it looks wonderful billowing out of the funnel.

So overall this pretty little loco should be made to pull small, light trains preferable with older GWR coaches.

Mark/40: Looks: 9
Speed: 9
Power:4
General Performance: 6

Total: 28/40

tinsleytmd

Post by tinsleytmd »

hornby have just re released that i think or something like it is their no way you can re wheel the thing to make it run better??
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

If there is I have no idea how to do it, I have a set train for it now which is light so it pulls it quite happily, Hornby have re-released this as a set + 3 coaches, also another another loco of the same class
Stuart Reid

Post by Stuart Reid »

The problem's not the wheels, but the fact that just like on the original the motor just drives that single big pair of wheels in the middle. Same problem is going to apply to the Caley when it gets re-released at Christmas. Now if only they had the courage to make a Cardean class...
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Rebuilt Scot No. 46141 'The North Staffordshire Regiment' (Bachmann)

This loco, I have had a few problems with, the main one is the tender, it almost always de-rails whilst going over a point, it sometimes falls off when in motion and the loco speeds away, it isn't that fast and is slower then my ringfield powered Mallard.
As well as the tender the bogie has a nasty habit of de-railing too, on the bright side, when nothing goes wrong, see is a wonderful sight to behold, and to be fair is an alright runner, it is a good looking engine aswell.

So in general, this loco should do main line work and not mess with points.

Mark/40: Looks: 8
Speed: 6
Power: 7
General Perfomance: 5

Total: 26/40

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hornby 4-6-2 Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class 'Bibby Line'.
(From the Venice Simplon Orient Express Set)

The Engine is DCC ready and looks rather easy tp fit and comes with instuctions for doing so.

It is very highly detailed and you need to be careful when handling it.

It is powered by a 5-pole motor housed in the locomotive, doesn't have a huge top speed but it is fast enough, I have had it pulling a 13 coach train but with wheelslip.

Set contains the standerd Hornby DC controller with a length of track with two sidings, also contains three Pullman Cars (the older style).

Generally a great locomotive and I haven't found any problems with it so far.

Marks/40:
Looks: 10
Speed: 8
Power: 8
General Perfomance: 9

Total: 35/40

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hornby 4-6-2 NRM A3 Class 'Flying Scotsman'

The loco is DCC ready.

The detailing on the loco is of such a high quality that you have to be extremely careful when handling. There are bits which you need to add yourself. I haven't added the extra detailing as it is impractical for layouts, such as mine, which have small radii.

It is powered by a 5-pole motor housed in the loco's body and is slightly faster than the R-Built M/Navy (see above).

It is a great performer but it hates one thing. Points. The front bogie always seems to de-rail over points and you have to go exceptionally slowely for the loco to stay on the rails. Apart from that a great performer.

Marks/40:
Looks: 10
Speed: 9
General Performance: 5

Total: 32/40
Last edited by PeterH on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

I don't understand how a loco can get 34/40 yet derail on every point it goes over :?: :?
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Perhaps I was being too generous, I have changed it accordingly. However if you take a closer look, it makes up points in other catagories, sorry for any inconvenience.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

On my new Hornby Princess class, the Pony Truck also derails on my double slips most times.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I find you have to go over points EXTEMELY slowely in order for it to stay on the rails.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
leopard

Class 66

Post by leopard »

Hornby points are a bit vicious though, given these models have some problems with tight curves I dare say this is where the problems lays.

if people notice issues such as this try the loco over a larger point. it if stays on and can handle a Hornby point at low speed I think you have the problem there.

Not found much that can handle a Hornby point fast (or presumably a PECO settrack one).

Anyway.

Hornby Class 66

Class: 66
TOPS: 66042 Another case of #42 appearing
Propulsion: One bogie, two driven axles
Traction Tyres: yes
Lights: no
DCC Ready: yes
DCC Fitted: no
Detail: reasonable
Weathered: no
2nd Radius Curves: ok
1st Radius Curves: not tested (no reason to expect issues though)

Traction Test Results:

Coach Pull: (8 LNER Corridor Coaches) - No issues

Slow Speed Running: Ok

Sound: Sounds like a diesel at low speed, otherwise a typical electric motor sound.

overall: 8/10
Points dropped due to nature of traction system and lack of lighting functions.

Not a bad model, cost me a little of £50, looks the part and it works.

Once I have a gradient configured & some longer track I'll do a proper traction test.

Nice model, not strictly 100% accurate (compared to a poster hung at work anyway), but close enough for me. physically impressive model, its not small. good ride quality with enough movement on axles to handle poor track. A good runner overall. has traction tyres which are not to everyones tastes but are not obvious on this model.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

GWR 0-6-2T 56XX No. 6606 (Bachmann)

I think this is perhaps one of the best locomotive I own. The engine is a very smooth runner and has good slow and high speed control.

Hardly any problems with the engine as far as running is concerned, however, the pony wheels can be take a while to get on the track.

It can pull quite a weight, I have had it pulling 11 coaches with ease. It has a sensible top speed which reflects the prototype locomotive.

In general, this handy locomotive looks great pulling freights, no problems whatsoever. Not DCC ready, runs on normal DC.

Marks/40:
Looks/detail: 8
Speed: 7
General Perfomance: 10

Total: 33/40

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
D2850

Post by D2850 »

Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 Diesel 'Harry'

image from http://www.ehattons.com

Class: freelance, based on BR class 04 0-6-0DM
Livery: Blue
Running Number: 25
Name: Harry
[Also avalibale in green as no 95 'Rusty' and yellow as no 2 'Charlie' (DCC fitted)]
Drive: motor to cental axle, all wheel dribe by connecting rods
DCC: 8-pin decoder socket - avaliable DCC fitted

This is, for a cheap 'toy' locomotive, a very good slow-speed runner. It lacks detail and has an enclosed cab, but it is very cheap, whict the train set avaliable for under £35. It is also DCC ready, which means it can be incorparated into a DCC layout easily. It is reasonably powerful, managing over a dozen waggons before slipping and being able to moves several more, however it is not likley that it will be needed for any more

Running: 9/10
Detail: 4/10
Haulage: 7/10

Price: RRP £43.95 (train set)
£29.95 (Locomotive)
Last edited by D2850 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.