NRM Review - Hornby skaledale AWS boxes

Articles which have been added to the main site
British Rail

NRM Review - Hornby skaledale AWS boxes

Post by British Rail »

Skaledale AWS boxes - When I got my AWS boxes out of their packaging I was very happy in the respect the boxes looked to scale, I was right to be happy because the rusting on the boxes were accurate and not to bright. The different periods of layouts these boxes can feature on is very flexible roughly ranging from 1970s to present day. In conclusion these AWS boxes are an excellent buy and are just the thing to fill up that empty space on your layout!
Last edited by British Rail on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmurnin900

Post by mmurnin900 »

cant help but say the first line rings a bell
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5
British Rail

Post by British Rail »

Okay okay okay okay oka........I'll change it.
rmg1919

Post by rmg1919 »

How do they compare to the Knightwing AWS boxes?
mmurnin900

Post by mmurnin900 »

much better
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5
davek

Post by davek »

mmurnin900 wrote:rings a bell
:lol: 'rings a bell' :lol: ...erm, is it just me that finds that funny?
mmurnin900

Post by mmurnin900 »

i didnt mean it to be funny, the original started the same as all simons reviews, when i took it out of the box...
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5
davek

Post by davek »

Oh, okay!
mortyfootball

Post by mortyfootball »

I thought Kinghtwing's ones are much better than the Skaledale ones.
Currently on the rails with my camera
rmg1919

Post by rmg1919 »

Yes, I think I have to agree - was wondering what the reviewer thought though as have not seen the Hornby ones in the flesh.
mortyfootball

Post by mortyfootball »

I've seen the Hornby ones and they look OK, the rust is a bit OTT and needs toned down, but with Knightwing you can paint them the way you want them.

Shaun
British Rail

Post by British Rail »

Damn I was going to edit it but now with Simons new update of the forum I can't :x I'll have to copy and paste and do it again :x
British Rail

Post by British Rail »

The new one!(With a few new words!)

Skaledale AWS boxes - When I got my AWS boxes out of their packaging I was very happy in the respect the boxes looked to scale, I was right to be happy because the rusting on the boxes were accurate but some modellers would argue that the rusting is over the top but you do find AWS boxes in bad states but if the rusting was over the top for you, you could always repaint it. The different periods of layouts these boxes can feature on is very flexible roughly ranging from 1970s to present day. These Hornby AWS boxes compared to Knightwings AWS boxes have advantages and disadvantages, these being that modellers would say that you can paint the AWS boxes in your own colour but I would say the Hornby boxes are better as they are painted for you and to an excellent standard. In conclusion these AWS boxes are an excellent buy and are just the thing to fill up that empty space on your layout!
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

I think the problem with Skaledale stuff is that it can look wobbly - when you have a metal sheet in real life, the Skaledale looks like it's made from clay...guess it's okay if you're modelling the Cotswolds :?
mortyfootball

Post by mortyfootball »

dr5euss wrote:I think the problem with Skaledale stuff is that it can look wobbly - when you have a metal sheet in real life, the Skaledale looks like it's made from clay...guess it's okay if you're modelling the Cotswolds :?
Have you seen the bus-stop? Imagine a plastic one in real life that has been melted and that is what you have!

Some of the things look OK, the rest look rediculous.