Which Magazine for N-Gauge?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Grahame

Re: Which Magazine for N-Gauge?

Post by Grahame »

ParkeNd wrote: Prior to seeing Collerton's buildings I was going to send in an outline for an article based on "a first time scratch builder's work since January 2014". See Rails
through the Forest in N in this forum if you have time.
I've had a quick scan through. The modelling looks fine to me, with nice clear photos. You should let the editor decide, rather than making the decision for him based on others efforts in the Journal - after all they're different not necessarily better.

G.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

The latest issue of the N Gauge Society's 'Journal' & 'Newsletter' (4/14) has now been published and sent out to all members. They should be dropping through letterboxes now or over the next few days. Contents to look forward to include:

* Three featured layouts
* Building the new NGS kit: a KSA bogie timber wagon
* A look at cement wagons and cement terminals
* How to build a bus recovery truck
* Converting a GWR pannier in to a class 1501 half cab
* Part two about Collerton's buildings
* and all the usual features such as tips, skills masterclass, letters, reviews and news.

G.
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

NGS Journal arrived today. Have thumbed through it, and now reading it article by article over the next couple of days. Magazine is a 100% improvement on the original and worth every penny of the membership fees. Forthcoming more modern way of buying from the shop will be a godsend. New product news excellent, and future objectives laudable. Modelling tips great. Have taken on board fully the trees inspiration from the last Journal.

One tiny criticism that needs us readers to fix - the layout articles look like layouts built a long while ago.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Thanks for the comments.

It's an interesting observation about layouts looking like they were 'built a long while ago'. Presumably you mean they are not built with modern materials and techniques and to the latest quality standards?

Ensuring that there are sufficient new and high class N gauge layouts to showcase the scale/gauge (especially at exhibitions) has long been a concern of mine. Certainly it seems that a ready supply hasn't yet really come to fruition although there are some great examples around. However, it would be interesting to hear feedback and suggestions as to how it (the building of a new generation of better N gauge layouts) can be encouraged and achieved.

G.
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Grahame wrote:--------------- Presumably you mean they are not built with modern materials and techniques and to the latest quality standards?

--------------------------------However, it would be interesting to hear feedback and suggestions as to how it (the building of a new generation of better N gauge layouts) can be encouraged and achieved.

G.
Dear Grahame,

Yes to the first point. It does look as though the NGS Journal is still short of modern material at the moment.

On the wider question about how to suggest to a new generation that they build a new and better generation of N gauge layouts. I think that the following points have influenced me, and I dare to suggest that they could also influence a new generation as well :-

1. Showing completed high grade layouts can be intimidating rather than inspiring. Especially if they are clearly very old. People need to believe that they can do it too.

2. Speed is todays issue. It needs to be stressed that the journey is as exciting as the arrival. But getting results need not take forever if looked on in a particular way.

3. N gauge products have matured beyond all belief. Stressing it's major strength is a must - the ability to show a railway in it's environment.

4. Compared with other hobbies model railways are really quite inexpensive. A whole layout costs less than one mid priced DSLR and one lens.

What persuaded me to get started was :-

1. A Hornby Magazine series of articles that showed a layout (which hadn't already been completed) being made bit by bit with simple tools.

2. The awful predictability of weather which meant I needed something to do indoors on bad days - both too wet and too hot.

3. I could combine it with my other hobbies of photography and cycling.

Now some photos building on the points above :-

This is my N gauge layout which is work in progress over the last 10 months - so far. It is based on a real location and all but one of the buildings is scratch built.

Tackling the modern issue of speed in everything. I am building it in modules rather than have a gigantic mess of a building site on my hands for months and months with no results. Each small area of the layout is built substantially to completion before moving onto the next. A series of small successes that show results every month or so - during which time the trains can be run around the whole board.

Continue with articles already starting to be published in the NGS Journal like the recent one on the scale of trees on a layout - which has inspired me to change trees already planted - and use better ones in future - with good results on the layout.

Grahame

Post by Grahame »

So it looks like it's time for you to write and submit an article to the NGS Journal. ;-)

G.
stevepurves

Post by stevepurves »

I have submitted Apa Park to the NGS...

Quick Build

Low Cost

Modern Techniques

Steve
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

NGS Journal 5/14 just issued still contains articles predominantly from NGS Members with earlyish membership nos - which suggests the old guard still. Not really convinced that the newer members will be let into the Journal. Hope I am soon proved wrong. The Journal still looks like it is using old material though.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Membership numbers (or even length of membership) has absolutely no bearing on what gets submitted or printed in the NGS Journal. There is no policy that gives priority to older members or that newer ones are somehow not 'let in'. It's an assertion that doesn't really hold water especially as many of the articles do not include a membership number and what is included is based on what is supplied.

However, as issues are planned and put together in advance from earlier submissions it is not possible to publish general articles supplied within a few weeks of submission. Content needs to be balanced and smoothed out to ensure continuity. Unfortunately it may be several issues before it makes it to print. That is even the case for the commercial monthlies (you'll probably wait until the middle of next year before something submitted now to the Railway Modeller is published), and is exacerbated with bi-monthly publishing.

I hope that clears that up.

G.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

The N Gauge Society Journal (1/15) should have recently been delivered to UK members (with overseas members having to wait for the international post). It includes part one of an article about the 'Parkend' layout as featured in the postings above.

Already work is well advanced on the next issue - 2/15 (apart from time sensitive content such as reviews and the latest news) - and will contain the usual mix of articles and features. It is due for publication at the end of March and will include part two of the 'Parkend' article.

With issue 2/15 will be a free (for members) colour booklet. To ensure that you receive both the Journal and the Booklet make sure that you are a member - renewals can be made on-line at the society website: http://www.ngaugesoc...x.php?page=Join

G.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

The N Gauge Society Journal (issue 3/15 May/June) is currently at the printers and will be sent out to all members by the end of the month. Below, to whet your appetite, are snapshots of the cover and the contents list:

The Journal is a full colour 88 page magazine exclusively about N gauge. Members receive six issues a year as well as a whole host of other benefits. Further details and membership of the N Gauge Society can be found on their website: http://ngaugesociety.com/

G.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

NGS Journal 3/15 is now in the post and should be dropping through UK letterboxes from today - with overseas members waiting accordingly.

Enjoy.

G.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

A quick heads up that the latest NGS Journal has been printed and is now in the post (my seed copies arrived today). It should be dropping through UK members letterboxes from tomorrow. There are three sections to this issue:

G.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

I hope that NGS members enjoyed the last Journal (6/15).

The next issue, 1/16 - the first for next year, is now at a well advanced stage and is scheduled to be sent out to be with (at least UK) members before the end of January. It will include a separate supplier listing leaflet, and it is also hoped that the Newsletter, that is sent out with the Journal, will include a listing of the items available from the NGS mail order shop (although they are online - http://www.ngsjoin.com/- apparently many members do not have computers or internet access and have requested a paper copy).

Articles for inclusion in future issues of the Journal are welcome and encouraged. So if you have a current N gauge modelling project or layout that could be featured then please make the effort. There is a large insatiable audience who would no doubt enjoy seeing your efforts. And as many NGS members do not have an internet connection it doesn't matter if it has already been featured on internet forums.

Cheers.
G.
CandO

Post by CandO »

Just joined so shall look forward to receiving my first copy :D