Which Magazine for N-Gauge?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Pete

Which Magazine for N-Gauge?

Post by Pete »

Hi

Assuming you have an interest in N-gauge, which modelling magazine (if any) best serves your N-gauging needs?

I'll kick off and say, I don't bother anymore with a regular magazine, I only buy now if I see a particular article that interests me. The net can provide me with all the information I desire.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
Philip.E.Thomas

Post by Philip.E.Thomas »

I'd tend to agree there Pete, I don't buy a scale specific mag but pick up Model Railroader on occassion. The only regular mag I get is Trains (an american industry style mag) which has a wide range of current news & development (believe it or not green railroading is a big thing stateside right now), and also prints some good historical stuff too.

With the $ to £ rate being so good right now a 12 month sub only costs me around £28 delivered.

Lawrence
ianboz

Post by ianboz »

I may have said this in another thread, but I don't think much of the main mags - most subject matter is irrelevant to me. Product reviews for new stuff which I can't afford, whether fitted with DCC or not are just pipe dreams. A few articles on landscaping /wiring are useful. Each time I think about subscribing, a particularly pointless edition comes out.

Maybe I should save my £3.20 each month towards renewing my N-Gauge Society membership. Their mag has more in one issue than in a whole year of Model Rail.
Tepic

Post by Tepic »

I subscribe to the N gauge society, so their bi-monthly journal is a regular. Beyond that I have a look at the mags in Smiths, and buy one if it has something interesting.
54Strat

Post by 54Strat »

I'm an idiot, every month I end up with MR, RM and BRM. I should no better by now shouldn't I? In fact, does anyone want 4 years worth of the above mags?

For the most Part, MR is better I think for N, and no adverts in the first half unlike the others. I will resist next time I pass WH's as my bathroom's getting full.

Thinking about joining the N gauge soc, and also looking at the 2mm Scale Assoc as I was, quite insanely, think about building some points. Tepic, would you say the N gauge soc is worth it? I hear they're setting up their site for online transactions as snail mail put me off a bit, so I might look at joining. I fancy a couple of the kits.

And is anyone a member of the 2mm Scale Ass and if so, what's it like? For just the 08 Gronk kit it would be worth joining alone, but who'd be so brave as to try and build it? Anyone seen the guy's blog on building it?

Cheers

Paul

Cheers

Paul
Tepic

Post by Tepic »

The N scale society are worth it yes. The shop alone makes it worth being a member.

The Journal is a pretty decent read. Full of useful info and whatnot :)

You have been able to join online for quite a while now. For the past 3 years I have renewed online. It's pretty cheap as well at £15* a year!

*First year you pay an extra fiver for their handbook.
Philip.E.Thomas

Tepic wrote:The N scale society are worth it yes. The shop alone makes it worth being a member.

The Journal is a pretty decent read. Full of useful info and whatnot :)

You have been able to join online for quite a while now. For the past 3 years I have renewed online. It's pretty cheap as well at £15* a year!

*First year you pay an extra fiver for their handbook.
Do they only deal with british railways? as I am modelling an american railroad would there be any benefit for me?

Lawrence
Tepic

Post by Tepic »

No they cater for all.

American and European layouts & models feature quite often.
ianboz

Post by ianboz »

Philip.E.Thomas wrote: Do they only deal with british railways? as I am modelling an american railroad would there be any benefit for me?
Whereabouts are you Philip? In the UK you can get a sample magazine for a few pounds, then decide whether you think it's worth it.

I am seriously considering getting the CD-ROM back issues for 2004 and 2005 for all the useful bits I missed before I joined. The NGS shop is the most impressive concentration of N-gauge items you are likely to find any where - thousands of lines from loads of suppliers, but you need to be member to order from them. They even supply some items which are not available anywhere else.

Recommended :)
Philip.E.Thomas

Thanks for that, might just look into it.
Phillip. E. Thomas was the first President of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the first real Railroad in the USA.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=6037
My layout thread
ianboz

Post by ianboz »

Thought the thread had dried up a bit..

Walked away from the latest issue of Model Rail yesterday because it seemed to have nothing at all for an N-gauge person (I don't mean I'm just under 12mm tall). I had spent cash on useful stuff at Sutton Coldfield show :oops: , and my N-Gauge Society subscription is due. Besides, someone gave me a stack of old mags to get through, so I am finding lots of old articles that I missed first time round. They were given by a chap on freecycle.org :idea: who was presumably having a clearout.
stillshooting

Post by stillshooting »

I have Continental Modeller on order from the newsagwent each month, still buy others if anything looks interesting to me.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

54Strat wrote:I'm an idiot, every month I end up with MR, RM and BRM. I should no better by now shouldn't I? In fact, does anyone want 4 years worth of the above mags?
Paul, i know the feeling mate! :lol: I have a similar pile to, it's always hit and miss whether there's going to be a great section or articles covering N gauge in the mainstream railway modelling mags, but from time to time there's a gem or two..

Chris
tinsleytmd

Post by tinsleytmd »

Im just about to join the 2mm thing for the shop mainly but their journal should be a wealth of info too.
Hopefully it will have lots of things about hand crafted track
tinsleytmd

Post by tinsleytmd »

54Strat wrote: And is anyone a member of the 2mm Scale Ass and if so, what's it like? For just the 08 Gronk kit it would be worth joining alone, but who'd be so brave as to try and build it? Anyone seen the guy's blog on building it?
Im going to buy a gronk kit eventually & yeah i have seen the blog of building it should be fun to see i want a EWS 1 which i think will look great.