NRM Article - DIY Platforms [lots of photos]

Articles which have been added to the main site
mumbles

NRM Article - DIY Platforms [lots of photos]

Post by mumbles »

hi
here's an guide to how i made my platforms. very easy, cheap, and much better than off the shelf as you can fit them to your layout, not your layout to your platforms!
if you have made your own patforms or converted ready made hornby ones or used peco platform sides [you know who you are!] please add your guide to make a comprehensive selection of options for people to see and try :D

so, using some old hardboard that had been recycled and some wooden edging at about 2 quid a strip, the platfoms cost less than 4 quid a piece so far as they each have about 1 1/2 lengths of stripwood each :D but hey i'm not really counting. if you've want to buy hardboard its about £1.50 sheet and you'll have loads spare

first i cut out the platform top, using the trusted pencil to side of longest carriage [i lifted the track and slid the hardboard under it to be able to do this;
then i glued;
and tacked :D ;
and did three times [sanding rough edges];
the i cut some ramp end supports;
and the ramps themselves;
then i used polyfilla to fill gaps between joins in hardboard, and then watered some down so it was like a paste and brushed it on to create a texture;
coat of paint...
mask and paint white stripes [not the band];
cut and paste!
link to the bricksheet i used;
and done;
in position with class 50 and mark 2 coach for effect :wink:
and some others i made, you can see there is quite a curve on these ones, the strip wood bends to shape no problem ;
hardboard; £3
strip wood; £12
paint, nails and glue; pennies
brick print-outs; price of printer ink
having retroman think you've done a lovely job...
priceless :D
michael
my thread where i more or less cut and paste this from to make the article

Post by 47806 »

Great how-to. I used Metcalfe platform kits for my layout and they were a great success. Much better value for money than Hornby. The techniques are really very similar to those listed above, but you simply follow the directions provided and the end result is very pleasing.

Photos:
http://thomasblampied.fotopic.net/p36989537.html
http://thomasblampied.fotopic.net/p36989538.html
http://thomasblampied.fotopic.net/p37209058.html
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Cheers Michael. I was thinking of something on similar lines, so I may well adopt this method for my platforms outside. If I use exterior undercoat on the platform tops and matt varnish to seal the brick papers, it shoould last long enough!

I need to do 2 island platforms of about 8'ish, a single one about the same, an island of 7' or so and a thin, single platform of about 4'6". This method should make things a hell of a lot easier :wink:

Good stuff from 47806 as well. Really well put together, though sadly, I fear, a little brittle I fear for my own purposes :wink: Your station looks really good, especially in the second shot.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

Nice I had a similar idea. I created a station but used mounting card on top. My how to will be put on the station page when its done.

Mumbles. Do you mind me adding this to the station page as well?

Simon
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

saslord wrote:Do you mind me adding this to the station page as well?

Simon
no feel free, do you mean on the website?
michael
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

thx

Yes on the main site in the new station page. Its not finished yet.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

When do you think th new Station Page will go live?
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

I have no idea. :D There is so much to do. I have several skaledale items to review. and The scalextric digital set but I will see if I can have something done this weekend.
Whatnothomas

Post by Whatnothomas »

Thanks for posting this article Mumbles, your platforms do look really good. Love the curved parts at the end inparticular.

The hornby platforms are ok but at £3 per piece they are very expensive.

Will be having ago at doing my own platforms now.

Andrew
I buy trains because I like them, and I know that bit should not go there. But I`m happy.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Just as a little improvement, you could use Metcalfe Paving papers for the platform.

Just a thought...
British Rail

Post by British Rail »

Wow !! well done Michael :)

Thanks

BR
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

I have done some work on the station page but I need some info on platform kits eg metcalfe, peco.

anyone used them before that can do a short writeup of what it was like?
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

I'm going to use the Metcalfe ones, but the time it takes for any layout of mine to come together, it will probably be after the Web becomes obselete!

Post by 47806 »

I didn't find the Metcalfe kit to be complicated at all. Simply make a paper template tracing the clearance for your longest piece of stock. Then simply follow the directions, it took me about one week to do my platforms (obviously that includes glue dry-time). A sharp knife is absolutely necessary, without one, you will destroy the kit completely. PVA glue will work fine even though it is not listed in the directions. A second pair of hands is also very helpful for some of the cutting. I accidentaly did some DIY surgery on one of my fingers while cutting the pavement section, so remember that you must pay attention while cutting thick card! Make sure that you keep the pavement clean so that the adhesive stones will attach to the edge.

Overall, I would recommend this way to build platforms. If you are not familiar with how card kits work, this is an excellent one to start with (it was my first).
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

Do you mind if I reword that responce into an artical. Do you have any pictures of the results you can let me use for the station page?

Thx

Simon :D