NRM Article - DIY Platforms [lots of photos]

Articles which have been added to the main site
random man

Post by random man »

Infrontcat wrote:Cheers Michael. I was thinking of something on similar lines, so I may well adopt this method for my platforms outside. If I use exterior undercoat on the platform tops and matt varnish to seal the brick papers, it shoould last long enough!

I need to do 2 island platforms of about 8'ish, a single one about the same, an island of 7' or so and a thin, single platform of about 4'6". This method should make things a hell of a lot easier :wink:

Tim
I think that you should go with scalescenes as for £3.99 you can get unlimited stations. You can even make them to the size you want. I will probably make mine thinner than the hornby ones if i ever buy them to save space :D
mumbles wrote:
hardboard; £3
strip wood; £12
paint, nails and glue; pennies
brick print-outs; price of printer ink
having retroman think you've done a lovely job...
priceless
michael
so instead of a little over £15 its £3.99!
Here's one i broke earlier...

http://www.scalescenes.com - cardboard kits
http://xs.to - free image hosting
my layout
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

random man wrote:
Infrontcat wrote:Cheers Michael. I was thinking of something on similar lines, so I may well adopt this method for my platforms outside. If I use exterior undercoat on the platform tops and matt varnish to seal the brick papers, it shoould last long enough!

I need to do 2 island platforms of about 8'ish, a single one about the same, an island of 7' or so and a thin, single platform of about 4'6". This method should make things a hell of a lot easier :wink:

Tim
I think that you should go with scalescenes as for £3.99 you can get unlimited stations. You can even make them to the size you want. I will probably make mine thinner than the hornby ones if i ever buy them to save space :D
mumbles wrote:
hardboard; £3
strip wood; £12
paint, nails and glue; pennies
brick print-outs; price of printer ink
having retroman think you've done a lovely job...
priceless
michael
so instead of a little over £15 its £3.99!
three things;

i made mine to the shape and size i wanted
and
the scalescenes price does not factor in printer ink, glue, high quality printer paper or the price of card
and finally
they would turn to mush the first time it rained on tim's garden layout. :D
michael
ps it would be really interesting to know how much these extras cost for each scalescene kit built. it would help people thinking of getting them to know how much the finished product costs to compare with metcalfe, superquick and all other methods.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

The thing i find about Scalescenes kits is that they somehow seem a bit....modern. They just look a bit over weathered, and grimey thats more from the modern day.
Or is that just me?
briantwigley

Post by briantwigley »

Thats good for people like me who go for modern style! Any chance of Doing something like this with Cardboard (Brown stuff)?
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Metheringham wrote: PS: the price for the hardboard seems a bit much, you can get a bigger than A1 sheet for £1 in B&Q. Apologies if you use allot and got it cheap ;).
just noticed what you said here danny, your right i got the price wrong, was going from memory,i think i paid 1.50 for a 4x2 sheet, oops memory again.. but its cheap as chips [well chips, and a buttered roll!] :D
michael
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

How wide are your platforms, they look well proportioned?
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

PTmodeller wrote:How wide are your platforms, they look well proportioned?
do you know, i've got no idea. i did them by sight to what looked right
8-10cm at a guess? the superquick island building is 8cm at the canopy if i remember correctly, and the platforms are just a tad wider on the one. some are wider, some thinner.
michael
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

just seen the platforms page, great work again simon 8) 8)
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

Thx.

Your artical is a great addition to it. thx for letting me use it.