Tim's N gauge Coffee table

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Odd Socks

Tim's N gauge Coffee table

Postby Odd Socks » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:17 am

Well that's done it, she has called my bluff.

I have been going on about making a layout but we are likely to be moving around a lot so the idea of a layout in a coffee table was mentioned.

Well my wife has bought me a coffee table now. An Ivas from Ikea, 120cm long and 70cm wide.

Now all the planning I have been doing over the years have been based around one of the J.C.Frezer designs in "Layouts for Small Locations" ( coffee tables not being that big ). I can't find the book at the moment so can't say which one it is but here is a rough sketch of the layout.

The top layer.

The bottom layer.

The original was 8'x6' but in OO so in general I have halved the dimensions as I am using N gauge but it has under gone a reduction in width as well.

With the lack of space I have had to put in some very tight curves, 8" radius, but before doing this I have made a test track/DCC programing/running in track with a spiral siding with the radius reduced by 0.5" at each end enabling me to test the running stock round different curves to check the running. It was quite impressive how many of the locos made it all the way to the middle round the 5" radius curve, the 9F did look silly doing it though.

The other thing that I am doing to maximise the use of space is to build my own points in places. Now this is a new thing to me as well so hopefully this will work.

More in the next instalment,

Tim

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:01 am

Welcome welcome welcome....sounds like a really interesting project...well out of my league mind you....my fat fingers need oo gauge just to grab the stuff....

Looks like a really nice project and making your own points in N? Awesome, will look forward to seeing the progress....

All the best with it,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:57 am

Mind those very tight curves with long wheelbase locos - I would guess that you could get a lot of wear on the flanges. Derailments possible on points ???

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Mr P

Postby Mr P » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:18 pm

looks a great idea/challenge!! I did have this whacky idea of doing the same but as a dining room table in N, this would be a great talking point over dinner!!

Post some pics of progress, looking forward to seeing it develop!!

Steve

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Nice one Tim, like it. :wink:
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Odd Socks

Postby Odd Socks » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:27 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Steve; I did try to persuade the wife that we really needed a dining table as the extra space would have been great but she wouldn't have it :(

Dennis; Yes the corners are tight, I don't know how much wear I will get on the flanges I will have to watch that. One way of getting scale flanges :wink:

The ultimate idea is that people can sit round the table and drive a train or run a signal box using radio linked DCC controllers.

Tim

peak

Postby peak » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Best of luck with the project.

Gav wrote
my fat fingers need oo gauge just to grab the stuff....

Years ago I used to model in N gauge and thought it was the best! But in my case my eyes have started to deteriorate so therefore I need 00 gauge just to see it!

This does sound like a very interesting project, so I will watch this one closely.
Will it be steam? BR blue? or wot?
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Philip.E.Thomas

Postby Philip.E.Thomas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Great idea, have seen thes done before, brilliant bits of work. http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/imagevi ... g&size=700

Have you considered narrow gauge as these would handle tight curves better, mind you a little 060 tank nipping around with some local freight would do the trick too.

Good luck, look forward to some piccies.[url][/url]

Fatneck

Postby Fatneck » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:17 pm

Honorary Member of the Torrevieja Model Railway Club (Spain) and fairly proficient bridge builder 8)

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:37 pm

Have you seen Bakatronics prices - start at $2995 (gulp) ! :roll:

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Philip.E.Thomas

Postby Philip.E.Thomas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm

pointstaken wrote:Have you seen Bakatronics prices - start at $2995 (gulp) ! :roll:

Dennis

It was just to give odd socks an idea, you don't have to buy one Dennis :D

Mind you thats only £1500 ish at the moment, nice wee lottery win at the weekend!!

Just shows though that there can be big money in modelling

Odd Socks

Postby Odd Socks » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Well, having played with a couple of cardboard models and a full size plan, I started construction. I decided on an open ply-wood construction, as once it is all together access will be a trifle difficult.

Having transferred the parts of the full scale track plan to a 4' x 8' sheet of 6mm ply-wood (don't you just love mixing units :? ), I decided where the cross members were going to go and used this to work out the dimensions to cut them out to.

One of the fun bits was working out how all the inclines were going to work as the main station and goods yard are on the main level. The engine shed is a bit lower but level, and the local halt and hidden sidings are lower still but on the incline.

Once they were all cut out, the moment of truth. Would they all fit together?

Amazingly when I put the cross braces in place and held a long straight edge on the track support points they all lined up :D

All I had to do then was use some strip wood to hold it all together. For some reason I decided that I would use brass screws so that once the track was stuck down with PVA and ballast the screws would not rust. I wish I hadn't, as the strip wood I was using was chopped up table leg, which was a nice hard wood and I managed to snap a number of screws while doing them up. But having bought the screws and being stingy I had to use them so I ended up doing lots of pilot drilling.

But now the base is together and seems nice and solid.

The next move is to get some track down.

Tim

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Tim OS

Handy bit o' chippy work there mate! :wink: Looks like you got it all spot on, so am most impressed! Are the sides going to be viewable to any degree or will it be strictly a top view only?

Cheers

Tim IC
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:23 pm

you have a great idea there. I wonder?? No chance, the wife wont let me build one for the living room. ummm I wonder??? No chance, she wont let me turn the dinning room table in to a layout either. Dam you females. It is looking good tho matey

MrT

Postby MrT » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:38 pm

That looks excellent - will be a brilliant feature of a room when its finished, I look forward to seeing the progress.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”