missing coupling on Bachmann tank engine

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.

missing coupling on Bachmann tank engine

Post by 4472 »

I have acquired a Bachmann 8750 pannier tank loco number 32-200b, which has no rear coupling. It is not just the bit that clips in but also the part with the triangular section that goes into the loco body for the coupling to clip into. What do I need to obtain so it can couple to wagons.

Thanks
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
centenary

Re: missing coupling on Bachmann tank engine

Post by centenary »

4472 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 pm I have acquired a Bachmann 8750 pannier tank loco number 32-200b, which has no rear coupling. It is not just the bit that clips in but also the part with the triangular section that goes into the loco body for the coupling to clip into. What do I need to obtain so it can couple to wagons.

Thanks
Do you mean these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326087051267 ... cdd898718c

Post by 4472 »

As long as it fits on a Bachmann loco that is what I need plus the coupling to go with it. I will have a look in my bits to see what's hiding there
SRman

Post by SRman »

4472 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:38 pm As long as it fits on a Bachmann loco that is what I need plus the coupling to go with it. I will have a look in my bits to see what's hiding there
I find some of the fishtail wedge bits can be looser than others, but that's not really a problem. If you buy them and they are a little loose in your Bachmann locomotive, use a very small blob of Blu-tack or black tack to hold it in place. Even without the sticking properties of these materials, they just fill the tiny gap so the coupling pocket will stay put even under load.

How do I know this works? Because I have had to do this with a few locomotives and items of rolling stock. :D

Post by 4472 »

As a temporary measure I had a lightbulb moment .As it will only be pulling in a forward motion I took the coupling from the front and put it on the back. It couples to wagons and pulls ok. Saved a few bob there !!!
centenary

Post by centenary »

4472 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:38 pm As long as it fits on a Bachmann loco that is what I need plus the coupling to go with it. I will have a look in my bits to see what's hiding there
Although it says 'Hornby,' they are NEM standard so will fit any loco or stock with suitable NEM recess including Bachmann.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:46 pm Although it says 'Hornby,' they are NEM standard so will fit any loco or stock with suitable NEM recess including Bachmann.
There's a couple of riders to this.

The NEM defined dimension parts are compatible-ish between Bachmann and Hornby, bodges such as black tack, nail varnish and other gunks such as the blu-tack mentioned by 'SR man' are regularly required, and also height packing within pockets to eliminate droop or fix at correct height. I suspect the moulding contractor operations are working at the limit of their precision capability for low cost moulded parts. Not just OO, this applies to European brand HO too, same problem with fits between Fleischmann and Roco products that I have used. (Fleischmann have a vertical slide height adjustment version of their profi coupler, so adjustments are required in HO land, and such facilities may apply to other European brand's ranges too...

Then we come to the UK miniature tension lock design itself. Not standardised at all. You can tell by eye that the Bachmann and Hornby versions differ significantly. This matters if coupling reliability is required, these two are not truly compatible, and will lead to random tangles and uncouples if intermixed in operation. Used exclusively both are reliable*. Since I had 95%+ Bachmann at the time and this dominance was only going to increase that's the one I standardised for my wagon fleet.

*I performed a statistically valid test series to determine this just over 20 years ago. I have never yet had sufficient other brand alternatives to test the many others now available, most of which appear to conform very closely to Bachmann's pattern - but this factor is unmeasured, just as much as the testing is unperformed...