DCC Sound advice sought

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
George Stein

DCC Sound advice sought

Post by George Stein »

As I cannot visit any UK shops to listen, I would like to request an OPINION on the best sound-chip for the Bachmann Pannier 57xx. Clearly, something quite small is needed. Anyone have experience which chips fit and/or whose chip sounds most convincing? Again I realize this is largely a matter of taste, so I'm happy with opinions. Thanks

George
North Carolina
SRman

Re: DCC Sound advice sought

Post by SRman »

I won't claim what is most convincing as that would be very much a matter of personal taste and judgement, but I have used a Zimo decoder from YouChoos in my Bachmann London Transport 57XX pannier tank. My opinion is that I like it and it sounds good to me.

Fitting it was fiddly because of the lack of space, but I did manage to shoehorn the decoder and speaker into the boiler barrel at the front, leaving the cab area clear - that would have been the second place to look to fit the speaker. I did do a very brief recording on YouTube, but that shows it with the speaker temporarily housed in the cab. The link is below if you are interested - it doesn't really show the locomotive going through its paces, though. I must do a better one soon.

I did have to remove the decoder socket and grind the space down to then hard-wire the decoder in, leaving room for the speaker to sit straight above the decoder. I did something similar with a Bachmann E4 0-6-2 tank as well. Both of these used curved top speakers, also from YouChoos. As a satisfied customer of YouChoos, I can say that John Guymer is extremely helpful, and there are useful fitting guides on their website and a few videos of their sounds in action as well.

https://youtu.be/7LSWzg-g3_A
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I'm not heavily into sound, but would tend to use Zimo.
The club's sound nutter thinks they are best. My hearing is
rubbish now - Kate Bush & Minni Riperton no longer have
me running for the off button, or door !!

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

SRman wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:46 am ...Fitting it was fiddly because of the lack of space...
The interior of the 57xx is well packed with metal ballast, but it is removeable if prepared to part dismantle the body, this is relatively easy and can be done with no resulting damage visible when reassembled. The panniers are filled with a U shaped casting as seen in plan, which slides out to the rear with the cab removed, and removing some of it at the front end might ease fitting a speaker up front. The bunker is filled with a metal block which has the cab rear wall detail cast in, space can be made by cutting off the detailed face to leave a void in the bunker.

If the loss of weight is unacceptable, then it is a simple job to substitute lead for removed mazak ballast to whatever extent desired. At near twice the density, the combination of creating interior voids with no loss of weight is possible. (I have been substituting lead for mazak ballast on Bachmann steam models since they entered the UK market, and now 25 years on, with no ill effect on the models. The two first such were the WD 2-8-0 and Pepp A1 pacific, mine were made up to double the weight as received, 16 oz and 20 oz respectively for purpose of enhanced traction on gradients so that they would reliably restart maximum load trains all standing on the gradient.

Zimo decoders without hesitation for the highest standard motor control with plentiful adjustments: the sound project quality and speaker(s) are very much purchaser's choice. (Yet to hear any steam sound project that remotely represents the real thing, I can do better with replay from memory.)
centenary

Post by centenary »

George Stein wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:21 am As I cannot visit any UK shops to listen, I would like to request an OPINION on the best sound-chip for the Bachmann Pannier 57xx. Clearly, something quite small is needed. Anyone have experience which chips fit and/or whose chip sounds most convincing? Again I realize this is largely a matter of taste, so I'm happy with opinions. Thanks

George
North Carolina
Richard of Roads & Rails UK actually does a vid with sound so you can hear it. https://youtu.be/qY8z2iQ6uR0?si=pQ5VxePKOQHWA2Rl
SRman

Post by SRman »

I have posted a much longer video on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/fBO-kAqYgPQ

I forgot to mention I bought the decoder from Buckambool Models here in Australia, pre-loaded with the YouChoos sounds.

I have forgotten now which speaker I put in: I did say it was a round topped speaker from YouChoos, and that's definitely what I used in another installation (a Bachmann LBSC E4 0-6-2T), but for the pannier I did originally intend to fit an iPhone speaker into the bunker (removing the weight in there and part of the cab rear). I suspect I re-used that iPhone speaker in the boiler as the flat top leaves more room to fit it. I have no reason to disturb anything by removing the body, so that will have to suffice for now. The only reason I didn't stick with that location was the problem of running the wires without getting them pinched or caught up when refitting the body to the chassis because of the extra length needed to be able to separate them. It is worth experimenting with speakers to get the best out of any sound project.

I could have sworn I did a video of the LBSC E4 with its YouChoos sounds, but I cannot find it anywhere, so that's another one to put on the list of things to do.

The photo shows how I originally was going to do it, and reveals the small iPhone speaker. It also shows how the back of the cab and bunker can be removed as they are separate parts from the main body.
20220329_215806.jpg
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

Thanks, lot's of good advice. Agree, Zimo and YouChoos have always been my previous choices.

George
North Carolina
SRman

Post by SRman »

George Stein wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:11 pm Thanks, lot's of good advice. Agree, Zimo and YouChoos have always been my previous choices.

George
North Carolina
I like the YouChoos/Zimo combo for steam sounds, but prefer ESU and various suppliers for diesel and electric sounds - legomanbiffo, Jamie Goodman and Howes being prominent in my collection. I have used Paul Chetter's Zimo diesel sound files for a couple of installations though - an 08 shunter and a class 33.