Great Central station - Scenecraft 44-119

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Buelligan

Great Central station - Scenecraft 44-119

Post by Buelligan »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has used the Scenecraft 44-119 Great Central high level station entrance? If so, how have you got it set up? I really like the look of it, and it would fit in perfectly for my station plans, but the bridges available with it are only single track, and I need double track. I'm worried I won't be able to get a near enough finish on the bridges to match the Scenecraft finish. I did think about using the Metcalfe bridge kit, and then trying to find something to cover it with that would match, but as yet I've not found any brick papers that look like they'd match.
Bufferstop

Re: Great Central station - Scenecraft 44-119

Post by Bufferstop »

Many GCR stations were Island platforms with a bridge across the end, which was in fact two single line bridges with a short embankment between them which supported the station entrance building. Hence the single line bridge to go with the platform buildings.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes it was the island platforms on the GCR at Loughborough, Quorn and Rothley that gave me the idea to change my layout. However to accommodate my needs, I need 2 twin track width road over rail bridges, and not the single track bridges that are available. I think I'm either going to have to try and find some brick paper to cover the Metcalfe bridge kit, or print something and try and find someone who can paint it to match the Scenecraft station.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Being a 'less is more' type, I find Knebworth station (GNR construction) very attractive. It's a type of inverse of the GCR scheme with a low level entrance. The station is on an embankment, has two island platforms to serve the four track main line, and apart from some platform shelters and lamps that's all you see from the East side. There's a road underbridge leading to the West side, and there's the station building alongside and partly under the embankment; the platforms are accessed by subways, naturally enough fully tiled in classic Victorian Public Urinal style.
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

You could try 'Scalescenes', they have a good range of downloadable brick papers in different colours and scales. A lot of structures on the GC were made out of Engineers Blue Brick.

Or failing that, instead of an archway at each side, of the staircase, you could use a girder bridge over double tracks.

Hope this helps
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Hi Bigmet, that station layout would certainly be different, but no something I can do without some serious reworking of the base boards.

MarkS&D, Scalescenes was one of the companies I'd found, but engineers blue brick seems to vary quite a bit between model companies. Metcalfe it seems to actually be blue, others its more black, others dark brown etc. The scene craft station seemed to be more on the dark brown/grey side of things. Good call on the girder bridge idea, I'd prefer a standard brick arch but if I struggle to match the brick colour, then a girder bridge would give a good gap to hopefully hide the difference in colour a bit.
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Here’s a real one using girder bridges, Ashby Magna Station:
36ECEA98-4EB3-4CAF-8675-2BB1B12DFBF8.jpeg
36ECEA98-4EB3-4CAF-8675-2BB1B12DFBF8.jpeg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 45 times