N Gauge Platform figures/station signs etc

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
SOOTYBRUM

N Gauge Platform figures/station signs etc

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Hi, need some advice on glueing station signs/figures to platforms/bridges etc. Which is the best glue/adhesive to use ? I've used UHU glue and even Superglue but theydon't seem to stick properly which means if I am moving engines/carriages etc, I end up knocking them over :D
Thks for looking
Scrat

Re: N Gauge Platform figures/station signs etc

Post by Scrat »

HI,

the first thing I do before putting any signs/figures in place is to use a bit of sandpaper to get a clean and even surface.
This helps a lot in most cases.
Flashbang

Re: N Gauge Platform figures/station signs etc

Post by Flashbang »

While I model in OO the principal should be similar, I use either neat PVA or UHU for figurers. I remove the base by carefully trimming with a kraft knife then depending on where the figure is to stand I either drill a fine hole in the foot and up into the leg and insert a sewing pin held with UHU or PVA leaving about 5 or so mm projecting from the foot and then drill a matching hole where the figure is to be "Planted". Adding more PVA or UHU to the feet and the pin and then its pushed into the hole.
For free standing I use UHU or Superglue, but I always remove any base as IMO they look far more realistic without the large base.

Signs, steer clear of super glue as this can cause misting of some materials, especially Perspex. Tacywax is one method. Examplehttps://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/tacky-wax or use neat PVA.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.