r617 uncoupler

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
tomtom85

r617 uncoupler

Post by tomtom85 »

hi, i feel quite ashamed that i am asking this. how are these uncouplers fitted to the track. tried to fit inside track obviously but doesn't seem to be a good fit and quite loose. i see there are lugs but these are too short to go under both rails. wagons are derailing when going over it or they push uncoupler. cannot find fitting guide on web. please help.
Bufferstop

Re: r617 uncoupler

Post by Bufferstop »

What track are you fitting them to? I'd expect the tabs to fit between the sleepers of the current Hornby or Peco set track. They should also fit Peco code 100 flexi track but you may need to slightly adjust the sleeper positioning.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Potentially 'can of worms' territory.
Clearly it has to fit and work on Hornby's own track: that's the whole point of offering a track system. Any other brand's track products, well, you may get lucky.
If we are definitely talking Hornby track, their code 100 has been in production since 1971 (including R617, 16p*), and will it work with the entire legacy production?

If it does not clip in securely with recent Hornby code 100, it's a definite return to retailer job.

*How do I know this? A long ago order from Hattons of Liverpool, came with much of a damaged Triang-Hornby catalogue used as packaging...
Phred

Post by Phred »

Well this chap says the r617 uncouplers just don't fit:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fitting ... -nY,st:180
Edit: The video starts in the middle for some reason. Just push it back to start to see where he talks about the uncouplers.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Good find Phred.

'Tomtom' , if the problem described in the video is the same as yours, you have two choices: glue one in to keep it stationary and see if it works, or return this junk as 'not fit for purpose'.

I would do the latter. Hornby's track system is extremely poor and long overdue replacement; and every customer return that indicates this can only 'hasten the day'.
bnb

Post by bnb »

The coupler will only fit properly in a special place. Look between the rails and the sleepers on the straight track and you can see extra indents around the middle (2 each side). This is where the uncoupler clips in. It cannot be fitted anywhere but only in the place provided by Hornby.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

bnb wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:56 pm The coupler will only fit properly in a special place...
Ah, that's useful information. Do you happen to know if these location indents are present in the Peco or Bachmann equivalent track?
tomtom85

Post by tomtom85 »

thanks to all. i have now fitted one and working ok. other one needs to be glued in i think.
ta to all
bnb

Post by bnb »

bigmet ask
Do you happen to know if these location indents are present in the Peco or Bachmann equivalent track?
the answer is no - they are only on hornby track.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Thanks bnb, didn't think they would be present on non-Hornby track.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Here is a photo of a piece of Hornby R600 track from my layout:
111.jpg
I can't see any indents. I wonder if there were any later or earlier versions which had the indents?
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

You have to look at the track from the side. The indents are between the rails and the sleepers.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

tomtom85 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am ... i feel quite ashamed that i am asking this...
And I should have mentioned this earlier: the only question to feel ashamed of, is the one you should have asked but didn't.

Look at the information your question has begun to obtain, for yourself and others. This is one of the best features of this kind of forum.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Roger (RJ) wrote:
You have to look at the track from the side. The indents are between the rails and the sleepers.
Looking at the side of the track, all I can see are the slots where the power clip slides in.
Now the video link I posted doesn't work any more, so I can't have another look at how the YouTube man was trying to fit the uncoupler. Tsk. :(

Edit: I've just been watching a different YouTube video of someone fitting an R488 uncoupler and it is indeed fitted into the above mentioned slots. This involved sliding one rail out, fitting the uncoupler, then sliding the rail back in. Probably not as easy as it sounds for a lot of people.
bnb

Post by bnb »

The slots are either side of the sixth sleeper in from each end. The tabs on the uncoupler will fit into one slot at each end, Hornby use these slots to locate other accessories such as their signals as well as the marker post that comes with the uncoupler.